• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
tsuritama (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching this but hadn't posted anything. So many shows this season!

I started on this one because it looked like other brightly-colored-high-energy-alien-themed shows I've enjoyed in the past whether it be in animation style, plot or character archetypes. Everyone mentions the obvious Arakawa for the color pallet and quirky Haru. But what about FLCL? This reminds me so much of it in different ways.

We have an MC who is having to deal with living in an adult world where his grandmother moves him around a lot. My hunch from the start was that she was a total hippie, but after episode 3 and now 4, I really believe spoiler[she's dying from cancer. The reason she travels so much is because she's trying to find a place that can treat her.]. At this point in the show, we have no clue what happened to his family to make him live with his grandmother. Albeit, she's not irresponsible like Naota's father (he has issues), but Yuki is about to spoiler[have to face some real adult issues if/when she dies. He's probably already had to face them in the past.]

Like Naota, it's probably easier for him to just stay clear of things, try not to make a fuss and just fly under the radar. Then Haru comes along and stirs everything up. There's something Haru needs that he believes Yuki can "catch". Sound familiar?

Additionally our "Eyebrows" guy is already on the scene with his duck companion. I totally love tapioca! Adorable! Anyways... I get the impression he's around to spoiler[play damage control and try to prevent some kind of catastrophe or something]. Although, judging by the intro and the happy-go-lucky feel of this show, he'll probably join the main cast in another few episodes.

I feel like this will turn into a "coming of age" series that manages to be high energy, whimsical, and charming through and through. I hope that they do tackle some of the larger issues that are potentially at play here instead of shrugging them off for silly antics.

Like you guys, I love the bright colors of this show. The colors are so vibrant, but they go well together. Obviously, a lot of care was taken with the pallet. It's nice to see bright colors fitting well into a series. My eyes aren't being raped. That's a plus. Smile

What I'm scared of is the Yaoi. Is this going to turn into some kind of Yaoi show? Or something that walks that fine line?

Right now, I feel like I'm watching a delightful coming of age show with a sci-fi flare and plenty of comedy. And that's good for me. A show about friendship is good. (Just fyi - I'm not particularly into Yuri either.)

Looking forward to episode 5 and hoping that spoiler[the grandmother dies. I'm so cruel. What's wrong with me? I'm wishing his grandmother dead for the sake of the plot. Anime cry ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
This show is deceptive. On the surface it's a happy-go-lucky slice-of-life comedy, where nothing much ever happens and the emotional stakes are correspondingly low. But track the growth of the cast from the first to the fourth episode and the amount of change everyone has gone through is frankly shocking. Yuki actually talks now, Natsuki is smiling for probably the first time in years and Haru is...Haru, I guess. But he's a lot easier to like when you see the astronomical effect he's had on everyone else on the show. Akira remains a mystery, but hopefully we'll gain insight into him and his secret little organization soon enough.

So far, every one of these episodes has had at least one stand-out moment: Episode One and Yuki being pulled from the water, Two and Akira sticking his head out of the ground, Three and ENOSHIMA DON (not to mention Secret Organization DUCK) This most recent episode might seem a bit less eventful, but I thought the scene where Yuki and Haru lay together on the ground, just talking to each other, was refreshingly genuine and maybe one of the warmest moments in the series so far.

I have no idea where this is going (or if it'll take a turn for the dark in the second half) but I'm definitely onboard. Here's hoping this redeems Kenji Nakamura as a director to watch!
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
The Mahi-Mahi fishing was spot on, that really is how you catch them, though a charter boat would most likely be using real bait for the paying customers unless they requested otherwise.
The Dorado really has beautiful colors that even show up on film, but they also like to bleed a bunch, and if you get them in too soon, they will thrash about on the deck ruining your clothes and your picture. Fun fact, the Dorado (aka Mahi-Mahi, aka Dolphin fish) is one of the fastest growing fishes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I really don't want this anime to head into the darker themes. "Baaaww gramma is dyyyiiiinngggg", get back to fishing, that's much more interesting. Maybe it's because these types of shows once they headed into the territory just don't tend to handle it well and go so overly melodramatic and metaphorical, and full of themselves.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Is he...a she? (I was under the impression only females could bend like that without falling over, due to complex anatomical factors I don't pretend to know - I may be mistaken.)
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 - Is it just me or does this show just keep getting better and better?

The mysteries keep building up and, eventually, they're going to just come gushing out uncontrollably. I love what this show is doing.

It had been so long since spoiler[Haru had used his water gun. At first, I thought that the Indian-dude did something paranormal because I completely forgot about Haru's gun.] And, is Haru actually starting to spoiler[show his true colors or does he have some other kind of "self" hiding under that chipper doe-eyed mask? Is he really that manipulative?]

Also - I think the spoiler[grandmother was discharged because she only has a few days left and probably wanted to spend it at home with her family. After all, she never said she was "better", just that she was coming home.]

I don't watch previews so I have no clue what's incoming... all I know is it's going to be a long week waiting for more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
episode 7

Omnomnomnom

I can't get enough of this show. It's summer here in a beach town in Florida and everything I see reminds me of Tsuritama. I'm rocking out to the music with the window open and the summer breeze blowing through the house. I smell like suntan lotion and I'm ready to hit the beach!

Wait... did I just say I'm ready to go to the beach? As in, venture outside? In something less than jeans and a Halloween Horror Nights T-Shirt? What's the matter with me?!

I think Haru used his watergun to convince me to do these things.

This show just has such a fun summer feel to it that I can't help myself! Anime hyper

I look forward to this each week and keep trying to get my husband to watch it with me but he claims that it's yaoi garbage and won't touch it. He's missing out!

I love this show. It's such a surprising watch. I love how they're using so much humor in the main plot too! So GOOD!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Somehow I missed a week and ended up watching two episodes, my clue was alien boy's very strange behaviour. What did he not get what he wanted from strange water thing?

Lets see, some sort of entity in the ocean, loss of memory, sudden changes in character, it is obvious that spoiler[Cthulhu] is behind this. From what I have learned from anime, they will need manga and video games, and probably a japanese highschool boy with tsundere traits.

Why have I not dropped this? And why do I like the OP song and the movements? And why do I keep saying "Enoshima bowl"? It is like "shindan loaded" all over again.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
@bento-box: I'm sorry, I'm going to have to question your husband's yaoi-dar here. Seriously? There is not so much of an inkling of romantic interest between these boys! It's all good old-fashioned bromance, of the type you'd find in any decent sports movie!

There were so many times I feared the humor would devolve into low-brow innuendo, what with teenage boys discussing "poles," "rods,""lures," "pulling," "jerking," and don't ask me what I thought when I saw those fishing-pole stabilizing belts! But tsuritama plays all its fishing info straight and stays classy throughout. Also, I have a really dirty mind, apparently. I blame anime. Laughing

My favorite part of this show is the character development. If you compare the character's relationships from ep 1 to their relationships in ep 6, every aspect is completely different. It all developed naturally and gradually through their interactions. Nothing seems forced. It's really quite amazing.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
@bento-box: I'm sorry, I'm going to have to question your husband's yaoi-dar here. Seriously? There is not so much of an inkling of romantic interest between these boys! It's all good old-fashioned bromance, of the type you'd find in any decent sports movie!

I totally agree with you here. I've told him that he's completely wrong about the show. I shy away from things like Hetalia that just gives me that "vibe" and this show doesn't give me that at all. I was actually afraid that it would turn into a yaoi show, given the slender guys and kinda plain looking girls but... it didn't and I'm really impressed with the bromance.
Quote:
There were so many times I feared the humor would devolve into low-brow innuendo [...]

ROFL That never even crossed my mind!
Quote:
My favorite part of this show is the character development. [...] It's really quite amazing.

Agree with you 100%.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Finally starting to get into the "main plot". I've considered character development to be the entree thus far though. All of the sci-fi stuff that's about to happen is like dessert!

I'm really glad that spoiler[ Haru isn't a "bad guy" and especially that he wasn't fully responsible for what happened back in like episode 6 when they were out on the boat.] But I feel sorry for spoiler[ Yamada because now he's in a big pile of poop and DUCK! has completely just stepped around him. I have a feeling his friends will come to his rescue.]

So many good vibes. Lots of foreshadowing that spoiler[Haru is leaving in some sense. I'm hoping he doesn't die. Just seems like the show is too happy for that! ] Anime cry

Last edited by Bento-Box on Thu May 31, 2012 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
There's something to be said for the 2-minute exposition: "Oh, by the way, here's the plot. Moving on..." I wish more shows would use it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio I actually thought that the "two characters explain all the show's main plot points to a third" was a bit much. This show has been very good in Show vs. Tell strorytelling with all its character building, but when it comes to main plot points, they waited until ep 8 and spilled it all out in a couple minutes' dialogue. The two characters discussing the problem with each other first would have been better.

That's such a minor flaw in a show that really, really makes you feel for the characters, though. It's rare that a show actually makes me want to laugh and cry along with the characters without pulling cheap, emotionally manipulative stunts (like, say, having a character reveal his/her horrifying backstory after half a season in a twenty-minute narrated flashback episode. Which is to say, most anime. Razz)

Here come the Men in Black! Am I the only one who wants to sing the original Men in Black theme whenever the DUCK organization does their silly posing shtick? Laughing I'd make an AMV, but I don't have the skillz! Love the mix of silly and ominous, though, and Akira's finally gotten my sympathy! Can't wait for next week's ep!

My nomination for best scene in Ep8:spoiler[ The boys chasing after Natsuki with a pair of scissors, followed by Natsuki entering his house with short hair!]
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I am very much in love with this show. It is so refreshing, fun to watch, comes with awesome characters, and has artwork very pleasing to the eye. I also really like the soundtrack and the opening song. This series keeps making me want to watch more and makes me look forward to Thursdays. I would be extremely happy if Sentai is able to release this on Blu-ray in the future as I have confirmed that I would buy this show in a heartbeat.

I so can't wait to see how this series will end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Yttrbio I actually thought that the "two characters explain all the show's main plot points to a third" was a bit much. This show has been very good in Show vs. Tell strorytelling with all its character building, but when it comes to main plot points, they waited until ep 8 and spilled it all out in a couple minutes' dialogue. The two characters discussing the problem with each other first would have been better.
It depends a lot on the show. For a show like this, I don't really feel like the details of the plot are all that important, and just getting it out of the way like that avoids a rather tedious discussion of things that the audience really doesn't care about. Or that I don't care about, in any case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5