• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Announces Panty & Stocking English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
And yet it was promptly removed in the middle of the series, with no notice, and seemingly no attempt to buy anymore seasons.

I don't think it was removed because its content was too offensive. [as] may not be interested in P&S but I doubt it is because it is too offensive for them. Maybe I need to revisit P&S but all I remember was a lot of gross out humor.

No, it's because the ratings were crap.
Sketchor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
kb lljv
TitanXL wrote:

Shin-chan's dub is far worse than anything Panty and Stocking has to offer. The worst joke in PSG involves either semen or poop. Shin-chan's dub regularly jokes about child abuse, abortions, miscarriages, and domestic violence. In addition to semen and poop. If they can air that, PSG wouldn't even make them bat an eye.

There's a substantial difference between just saying some of those things and more explictly showing them. You think they can show the episode with the sperm? How about the episode with the monster with giant tits spraying everywhwere? They've never shown uncensored breasts on Adult Swim ever. I don't vethink can even get away with the crap flying everywhere in the first episode because of the poop monsters. The amount of crap monkies have thrown on Robot Chicken does not compare to that at all. They could probably do the vomit monster. But PSG pushes sex and showing bodily liquids further than any show on Adult Swim. I'm not saying they shouldn't play it. I'm pretty sure Comedy Central could run it but there really nothing that has aired on Adult Swim that makes me believe they have the stones to air PSG.

Quote:

It's a difference of perspective. Is the cartoon fandom as big as the anime fandom? Probably not, so there's not much people to complain. Plus, I don't think they would sit around caring about the artistic and emotional complexities of the voice work in Fairly Odd Parents or Cow and Chicken. Reusing the same voices isn't really as immersion breaking in a kid's comedy cartoon as it is in a bigger medium like anime. Especially one where debates about Japanese voice-actors VS English-voice actors is already a common occurrence.

Oh you went there.

What about more dramatic animated series made in America? Kevin Michael Richardson is a great actor in my opinion but he does basically the same voice for Panthro on ThunderCats, two minor characters on The Legend of Korra and both John Stewart the Green Lantern and Mal Duncan on the latest episode of Young Justice among many other roles over recent years. John DiMaggio likewise voices numerous characters and often with a similar voice. Or how about Yuri Lowenthal? Sounds pretty much the same as Ben Tennyson on 2 series of Ben 10, two characters on Young Justice and well before those he was Sasuke on Naruto, Suzaku on Code Geass and Haru on Rave Master and they're all just his usual voice. Usually I don't mind when an actor is used a lot because they're doing this for their income and the more work they get the easier it is to make that living. But even though I say that I do like to hear a greater variety of actors/actresses in cartoons. Really the important things is finding the right voice for the job and often enough that's someone who already gets a lot of work compared to other actors. They get a lot of work because they're good. This is true in America and Japan isn't it?

There are people who complain about overusing actors in American cartoons both dramatic and comedic but you see a lot less of that compared to anime because American productions while often using the same actors branch out arguably more than any one dub studio does and also because no other kind of cartoon fandom no matter how large it is whines as much or as loud as Japanese cartoon fandom. That's the impression I get at any rate.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
Sketchor wrote:
There's a substantial difference between just saying some of those things and more explictly showing them. You think they can show the episode with the sperm? How about the episode with the monster with giant tits spraying everywhwere? They've never shown uncensored breasts on Adult Swim ever. I don't vethink can even get away with the crap flying everywhere in the first episode because of the poop monsters. The amount of crap monkies have thrown on Robot Chicken does not compare to that at all. They could probably do the vomit monster. But PSG pushes sex and showing bodily liquids further than any show on Adult Swim. I'm not saying they shouldn't play it. I'm pretty sure Comedy Central could run it but there really nothing that has aired on Adult Swim that makes me believe they have the stones to air PSG.

I'm fairly sure I've seen sperm on Family Guy or one of their other shows at one point. Just put some mosaic censoring over any boobies they deem bad and it's easy enough to air. Wouldn't be the first time they censored anime.

Quote:
What about more dramatic animated series made in America? Kevin Michael Richardson is a great actor in my opinion but he does basically the same voice for Panthro on ThunderCats, two minor characters on The Legend of Korra and both John Stewart the Green Lantern and Mal Duncan on the latest episode of Young Justice among many other roles over recent years. John DiMaggio likewise voices numerous characters and often with a similar voice. Or how about Yuri Lowenthal? Sounds pretty much the same as Ben Tennyson on 2 series of Ben 10, two characters on Young Justice and well before those he was Sasuke on Naruto, Suzaku on Code Geass and Haru on Rave Master and they're all just his usual voice.

So like I said; I think more people would complain about voice work in One Piece than they would Thundercats or Justice League or what have you. It's a more prominent series to the anime community than those shows are.

Quote:
Usually I don't mind when an actor is used a lot because they're doing this for their income and the more work they get the easier it is to make that living. But even though I say that I do like to hear a greater variety of actors/actresses in cartoons. Really the important things is finding the right voice for the job and often enough that's someone who already gets a lot of work compared to other actors. They get a lot of work because they're good. This is true in America and Japan isn't it?

That's a really naive way to look at the industry to say the best person always gets the job. Or any job industry for that matter. Do you honestly think live-action movie stars voice the latest Disney/Dreamworks movie's lead character because they're the best for the job? Or is it more likely because they're popular and can bring in more audiences, especially adults who might endure a kid's film with their kids if it has someone like "Jerry Seinfeld" or "Robin Willaims" in it? (Or maybe in this case: Eddie Murphy often playing the 'sassy sarcastic sidekick' like Mushu from Mulan or Donkey from Shrek)

Quote:
There are people who complain about overusing actors in American cartoons both dramatic and comedic but you see a lot less of that compared to anime because American productions while often using the same actors branch out arguably more than any one dub studio does and also because no other kind of cartoon fandom no matter how large it is whines as much or as loud as Japanese cartoon fandom. That's the impression I get at any rate.

Wherever this complaining takes place, it's definitely not here. Or any of the other standard anime sites out there since they obviously don't talk about American stuff. You can see how that would be one of the big factors in someone not seeing as many complaints. It's nothing about "these fans complain more" (which is a huge ad-hominem, by the way), but rather more likely things like sample size. Again, I really doubt the target audience of Fairly Odd Parents cares if Jason Marsden or Frankie Muniz voices Chester McBadbat, or whoever voices Panthro in Thundercats is the same as someone else on the same channel, since they're little kids and will watch things regardless. Meanwhile, these dubs are meant for the teenage and adult anime fans which would more likely care more, and more importantly, would have to, in theory, spend money on the dub to view it and expect an actual quality product. Completely different industries/target audience/communities/everything.
Super Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:10 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

So that's a big fat no on having an actual counter to what I've said. I'm more or less indifferent to the casting and have no opinion of the dub because I haven't heard. My first post accurately reflects that but you're just going to keep getting pissy and slanging insults because since you can't disagree with what I said you might as well attack the person...I wonder when the forum rules will kick in regards to your flaming posts.

I think posting something obviously over the top negative, even with an outdated meme attached, and then back peddling the second someone called you out for unwarranted negativity by saying you weren't being negative makes you look like a tool. That's what I got from it anyways.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
Super Ninja wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

So that's a big fat no on having an actual counter to what I've said. I'm more or less indifferent to the casting and have no opinion of the dub because I haven't heard. My first post accurately reflects that but you're just going to keep getting pissy and slanging insults because since you can't disagree with what I said you might as well attack the person...I wonder when the forum rules will kick in regards to your flaming posts.

I think posting something obviously over the top negative, even with an outdated meme attached, and then back peddling the second someone called you out for unwarranted negativity by saying you weren't being negative makes you look like a tool. That's what I got from it anyways.

Got it in one. Although I wouldn't characterize AS's original post as "over the top" negative: just sort of passively-aggressive negative. Also, I don't think the person who responded to his original post was calling him out for unwarranted negativity, he or she simply recognized the post was negative and put forward a counter-view. The "looking like a tool" part is, of course, right on the money.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Super Ninja wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Let's break it down.
An outdated meme calling the casting typical is not negative. It's the damn truth, sorry if it hurt you feelings.
Saying that there will be people who like this dub isn't being over the top negative either. Again it's the truth.

I was being indifferent. The poster's who have been replying to me have just been overracting because I'm not getting down on my knees to pray to the Funi dub gods in everyone of their casting announcements. I suggest you and Blood learn wtf being negative and backpeddling means.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
No, let me break it down for you. Here's your very first post:

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Typical casting is typical.
I expect many people will enjoy yet another Funimation level dub.

Now, I guess you are trying to convince us that "I expect many people will enjoy yet another Funimation level dub" was meant to be taken as a non-sarcastic observation? You weren't trying to convey the idea that you find "Funimation level dubs" lacking but many other less discriminating people don't? Laughing Yeah, right. That's what makes you such a cheez-ball.

Then Spaceman Hardy picked up on your obvious patronizing tone and said, sure why wouldn't people like Funimation dubs - they're good. And that's when you hilariously respond with this:

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Did I imply anyone shouldn't enjoy how Funi cast the show or the dub? I outright said many people will like it.

Now please lower you defensive shields.

Talk about sickeningly disingenuous. Yeah, you did outright imply people shouldn't enjoy how Funi cast the show when you said "Typical casting is typical" Or wait, is that a compliment in your world?

But again, none of that matters to me. It's that slimy, fake, "whhhhaaaa - but I said people would like it, didn't I?" Laughing

You won't understand this, of course, because you are not a straight-forward, intellectually honest person. I guess you are one of those types who - bizarrely - thinks he is clever. Trust me, there is nobody who has read this thread who doesn't see .... oooo, ArsenicSteel-type ancient meme coming up ... "what you did there." Laughing

So to sum up: when you say something negative and then pretend you didn't mean it as a negative statement - that's backpedaling. Always happy to help you enrich your vocabulary.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sketchor wrote:

I'm fairly sure I've seen sperm on Family Guy or one of their other shows at one point. Just put some mosaic censoring over any boobies they deem bad and it's easy enough to air. Wouldn't be the first time they censored anime.

The only sperm joke I ever remember on Family Guy, was a one-off line where Stewie was observing a room with a blacklight, and remarked about their being a small splotch of semen on a hotel bed cover, they haven't hand an entire plot revolve around it, though.

Quote:
Quote:
What about more dramatic animated series made in America? Kevin Michael Richardson is a great actor in my opinion but he does basically the same voice for Panthro on ThunderCats, two minor characters on The Legend of Korra and both John Stewart the Green Lantern and Mal Duncan on the latest episode of Young Justice among many other roles over recent years. John DiMaggio likewise voices numerous characters and often with a similar voice. Or how about Yuri Lowenthal? Sounds pretty much the same as Ben Tennyson on 2 series of Ben 10, two characters on Young Justice and well before those he was Sasuke on Naruto, Suzaku on Code Geass and Haru on Rave Master and they're all just his usual voice.

So like I said; I think more people would complain about voice work in One Piece than they would Thundercats or Justice League or what have you. It's a more prominent series to the anime community than those shows are.

Clearly when I brought it up, I wasn't saying "why aren't there more discussions on Anime News Network about American voice actors", I was stating that in general in more places than this anime board there tend to be more people complaining over anime voice casts than the American cartoon fandom. I happen to be a card carrying member of both fandoms, and this is a thing I've noticed.

Also, there's just as many people in the "teenage/adult" demographic who watch these shows, as there is in the anime fandom, while obviously not in the target demographic they do discuss these shows, just the same. (which is why I find the fascination with the Brony fandom odd, but that's for another thread)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Sketchor wrote:

The only sperm joke I ever remember on Family Guy, was a one-off line where Stewie was observing a room with a blacklight, and remarked about their being a small splotch of semen on a hotel bed cover, they haven't hand an entire plot revolve around it, though.

There have been many references to sperm and many jokes about it in Family Guy. There was also the episode where Peter accidentally spills all the "deposits" at the sperm bank and has to refill them all. Prior to that, there was also the episode where Stewie shrinks down and travels inside Peter to kill all his sperm and keep him from reproducing. And of course, there is the really controversial episode where Peter stores horse semen in bottles in the fridge and it's implied that Stewie drank it.

Shall I go on? Wink
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Let's break it down.
An outdated meme calling the casting typical is not negative. It's the damn truth, sorry if it hurt you feelings.
Saying that there will be people who like this dub isn't being over the top negative either. Again it's the truth.

I was being indifferent. The poster's who have been replying to me have just been overracting because I'm not getting down on my knees to pray to the Funi dub gods in everyone of their casting announcements. I suggest you and Blood learn wtf being negative and backpeddling means.

Your constant passive-aggressive comments across the forums gives people good reason to read between the lines with your posts. Maybe if you bothered just discussing a topic instead of finding thinly veiled ways to fire off attacks people wouldn't get "defensive" towards your comments. Not to mention, if you didn't care and had no opinion as you claim, then why did you even bother posting that to begin with?

Regardless, get back to the topic at hand and let's leave the discussion of decrypting Arsenic's true meanings and intents to another day.

Quote:
There have been many references to sperm and many jokes about it in Family Guy. There was also the episode where Peter accidentally spills all the "deposits" at the sperm bank and has to refill them all. Prior to that, there was also the episode where Stewie shrinks down and travels inside Peter to kill all his sperm and keep him from reproducing. And of course, there is the really controversial episode where Peter stores horse semen in bottles in the fridge and it's implied that Stewie drank it.

Shall I go on?

Yup, even The Simpsons showed a depiction of sperm in at least one episode. Then you've got Family Guy and American Dad which certainly have never been shy about such a topic whether it's a visual gag, something heavily implied or incredibly obvious double entendre's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Agreed. With respect to my own opinion, I am generally quite happy with Funimation dubs when they do comedies. I expect they'll really go to town with this one. I ditched the series after three or so eppies during its original broadcast, but I think with the dub I'll probably quite like it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
As mentioned, man I love the casting choice for Panty.

I think they're going to do a fantastic job with this looking at the cast list.

Kraker2k wrote:
Probably asking for a lot, but I hope they get Peter Cullen and Frank Welker for episode 7's Transformers parody. The Japanese dub got the original voices of Optimus Prime and Megatron back for that episode, it would be nice if the English dub did the same.

Would be sooo good Smile They're probably too expensive for a bit part which is ashame as it should totally happen. I love hearing them together again in the awesome Transformers Prime.

11G4GUNOT wrote:
rockman nes wrote:
Adult Swim or bust!

*cue generic "AS hates animu!!!" response*

Panty & Stocking deserves to be on the all new Saturday Lineup on [adult swim] anyway if not second chance Funimation Channel OnDemand

This, as said countless times by fans this show really is perfect for Adult Swim.

Hmm, I don't get some of the AS feedback questioning how people think they know AS has interest. Across the web I think most of the AS opinions aren't that AS knowingly has interest in the show, it's them voicing that they SHOULD totally have interest in the show, which I totally agree with. I hope they do have interest in it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Yup, even The Simpsons showed a depiction of sperm in at least one episode. Then you've got Family Guy and American Dad which certainly have never been shy about such a topic whether it's a visual gag, something heavily implied or incredibly obvious double entendre's.

The episode of American Dad with the CIA sperm bank (milk) comes to mind right away. I just don't get the ire and passive aggressiveness some are showing. All over the dub cast. Really that's it? I'd think people would be happy for any show to be popular enough to come over and warrant a dub. That would indicate good business and a successful show to some degree. And that hopefully equals more anime. Right? So why all the fuss from some people? If you don't like the VA's cast in the roles then just watched it with subs on. Wow! Such an easy solution! I guess some people just have to rant to stay healthy like Carter Pewterschmidt. Haters be hatin as they say.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
They're putting out content that's a lot better on the ears than Bang Zoom is doing recently, with their no-talent newb actors in Madoka and Squid Girl.

Ouch.

Considering that I think it's a nice change of pace with new VAs, I don't think that they are untalented.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Your constant passive-aggressive comments across the forums gives people good reason to read between the lines with your posts.

That's a funny accusation considering that every other time you address me in the forums you claim my M.O is to constantly tear down dubs and Western media as a whole.

Actually my post here was one of the few that weren't out right condemning the cast or Funi's attempt at dubbing. I can check my post history and see how rare a post like that is from me. The people who have replied all over-reacted and attacked me but we all know that not being civil only applies to certain people on these forums. To be honest I though I was trying something new.

Quote:
Not to mention, if you didn't care and had no opinion as you claim, then why did you even bother posting that to begin with?

You say people here have learned to read between the lines of my posts and yet you've taken my comment about not having an opinion of the dub to mean I don't have an opinion on this particular announcement. My post was not positive and it was not negative. I was being indifferent about the announcement just like how countless people here say crap like "Cool, XYZ company licensed ABC show. Good for them but I have no interest that show." I don't see you or anyone else questioning why those people make such posts. Unlike those people I am interested in PSG and intrigued at what Funi will do to the script.

Quote:
Regardless, get back to the topic at hand and let's leave the discussion of decrypting Arsenic's true meanings and intents to another day.

I've said what my intent was. The alternative interpretations of my words were just wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7