• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kids on the Slope (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I was a naughty girl. Embarassed I found some scanslations of the first three volumes of the manga. The first two episodes covered the first volume, and the third episode got 3/4ths of the way through the second. Some scenes were clipped out... nothing too important, though one leads up to a scene in the third volume that I wonder if they plan on including. I really don't see them taking it out since it's how spoiler[Yurika becomes introduced to Juu-nii], plus it's a jazz scene. I really don't want them to leave it out! spoiler[Juu-nii sings while Kaoru plays on the piano! Very Happy I want to hear him sing.] Another scene was cut out that I would have liked to have seen, but it really wasn't necessary overall. I just thought it was sweet and a bit sad how much spoiler[Kaoru wanted to share things with his father, yet couldn't because his father had to leave immediately after picking some things up. He's clearly wanting a father figure in his life, and it was touching yet sad to see him get all excited to see his father and then disappointed.]

Aw man, I can't wait for the third volume to be animated. More development and back story for Kaoru and Sen! The josei really starts coming to life. Sadly, there's still not much development for the girls. *sigh* But I think the series is meant to focus on the friendship between Kaoru and Sen anyways. One dude in the volume even states, "Love comes and goes, but friendship lasts forever." Hmm... foreshadowing?

Anyways, the third volume ends on a cilff-hanger, and now I wanna know what happens next. OH BOY.

I really hope the manga gets picked up as well since it does have some extra scenes that the anime couldn't fit in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
You know, I've heard of love triangles being cliche but love squares are new to me.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
I liked episode three a lot. The romance is advancing in an almost shockingly direct and reasonable way. It's sort of a quiet, subtle show and I really like that. The "Someday My Prince Will Come" scene was beautifully done. The music was terrific and I loved the way it played out. The spoiler[alternation between Kaoru playing "Someday My Prince Will Come" and the sheet music riddled with his notes] had a lot of emotion in it and spoiler[then the son of a bitch actually said what he meant!]

Kaoru and Sentarō have a good dynamic. Their friendship happened pretty quickly, but it feels convincing and even interesting. The scene at Sentarō's family home was surprisingly pleasant and felt fitting to his character. I almost want to see a little more of his younger siblings and I usually hate kid characters, then again, if I got my wish, maybe I'd go back to being consistent. His 'girlfriend' Sara Vaughn the pigeon was a nice touch.

Kids on the Slope continues to please the eye. I noticed the shadows moving over the four of them as they passed under the trees. And hey, their chins move!

willag wrote:
The josei really starts coming to life. Sadly, there's still not much development for the girls. *sigh* But I think the series is meant to focus on the friendship between Kaoru and Sen anyways.

I'm not an expert or even well-read amateur on the subject, but I've gotten the distinct impression that josei and shōjo sometimes embrace rather backwards or at least unambitious takes on gender roles. I'll hold out hope for more, I mean given the reference to her enjoying naginata fencing you'd think that XY could at least put on an Onna Bugeisha act, but if not, I'll live.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
It seems like he might be trying to fill a hole left by someone else...

Oh, I guarantee you, he's definitely trying to fill a hole, heh-heh-heh. I can't believe you accused me of telling terrible jokes! Bet you're feeling a little silly about that right about now, eh? Wink
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:
It seems like he might be trying to fill a hole left by someone else...

Oh, I guarantee you, he's definitely trying to fill a hole, heh-heh-heh. I can't believe you accused me of telling terrible jokes! Bet you're feeling a little silly about that right about now, eh? Wink

ROFL!!!!!! I meant the HOLE IN HIS HEART, you pervert!!! (and I do feel silly, thank you.)

*mumbles* but yeah, he totally wants to fill one of her holes too... and it has nothing to do with her heart...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Sadly, there's still not much development for the girls. *sigh*

I've found it hard to buy Kaoru's infatuation with Ritsuko for precisely this reason. Other than being cheerful and having a father who owns a record shop, there really isn't much else to Ritsuko's character, at least so far. So I'm always left wondering what it is that Kaoru sees in her beyond physical attraction. At their age, that's often enough, but it's a weak reed on which to build a romance.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:45 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I think the series is putting a lot of weight on the anime fixation on the "sweet, virginal" female cliche to "explain" Kaoru's chub for Ritsuko. But on the other hand, he is clearly a social misfit who doesn't make friends easily and she was one of the few people who extended a welcoming hand to him in this new locale, so...
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
willag wrote:
Sadly, there's still not much development for the girls. *sigh*

I've found it hard to buy Kaoru's infatuation with Ritsuko for precisely this reason. Other than being cheerful and having a father who owns a record shop, there really isn't much else to Ritsuko's character, at least so far. So I'm always left wondering what it is that Kaoru sees in her beyond physical attraction. At their age, that's often enough, but it's a weak reed on which to build a romance.

I think there might be a bit of the "Yamato Nadeshiko" idealism going on. She's a sweet girl, she's honest, she's loyal, she has good domestic skills (or at least she can cook), etc. Besides, considering the span of time (the first volume takes place during the summer, the third volume starts in the winter), there's a lot of individual interactions that aren't being shown (not that there is anything more happening than just the normal daily interactions). If the series focus is meant to be on Kaoru and Sen, we just might not get anything further for the girls other than their basic qualities and being the love interests of the two main guys.

EDIT: Besides, I've noticed an idealistic "love/attraction at first sight" going on for the high school kids. It pretty much happens to Kaoru, Sen, and Yurika. Ritsuko is the only outlier because she's known Sen a long time.

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
I agree with Blood-. I think he's trying to fill some kind of empty spot in his heart. His family is very disjointed, he is obviously a misfit at home and at school, and here's this cute girl who wants to make his life easier. She's a total contrast to the girls he's probably known in Tokyo and that makes her even more charming.

I think it's a bit realistic the way he falls for her, honestly. Haven't you ever just thought that someone was so cute or attractive that you found yourself head over heels before you knew what was happening? I'm totally guilty of that. I've asked guys out with knowing very little about them at all. After about 3 weeks to 3 months I realize I never really knew the guy and I didn't like his personality so I'd dump him. It's rare that any of my relationships actually passed the 3 and 6 month point because, by that time, I really couldn't stand someone's personality. So, I can understand why he likes her at face value.

I think she's a very private girl. We already know more about the new girl's personality and she's only been around for an episode. We know she's adventurous. She likes jazz and is fashionable. She is probably an artist (hence the scene we saw at the end of ep 3) and moves quickly in relationships. For 1960's Japan, I'd say she might be considered a bit risque. I get the impression she's after Sentaro for the physical attraction. I mean, the guy doesn't say a whole lot, but he's a total hunk.

And then we have Ritsuko. She's a total contrast to new chick. The only thing they really have in common is their love interest and Jazz. She accepts Sentaro for who he is and just enjoys being around him. We know that she values friendship. Her dad trusts her to be alone with a few guys in the basement, so I imagine she has a strong relationship with her family. She's trusted enough to watch over the shop too. Although, I think that's because her dad wants to play. Smile We also know that she's humble, honest, and endearing.

Like I said before, I think there will be a shift in Sentaro's love interest. I foresee Kaoru's primary focus will stray from Ritsuko and become more about making friends and learning to enjoy who he is at this point in his life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hakojo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Did anybody else hear strains of "One" from the Earth Girl Arjuna OST in that guitar bit at the very end of the episode?

This episode actually made me start crying; Kaoru's spoiler[confession] was so perfect and sweet, and this is going to sound sappy and horrible, but it just hit so close to home for me - there's someone for whom I've wanted to sing the final verse of "Adieu" (from Cowboy Bebop), with similar intentions, for quite a while, but I just can't seem to find the right time to do it. If only real life worked out more like anime sometimes Razz
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I put off starting this show because I only kind of like jazz. Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid. A smile lit up my face as soon as Sentaro started playing the drums in the first episode. And then the next two episodes both feature equally phenomenal music.

The animation is stunning. The setting makes me feel nostalgic, and I wasn't even born until '84. The characters are great, and they're already moving past the awkward romantic misunderstands that were only introduced earlier in episode 3.

I loved the scene where Sentaro arrives to save "Richie" from the bullies and comments that they don't actually know how to fight.

I love this show so much.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
That was one hell of an episode... yeah, I'm going to watch that again.

*time passes*

Outstanding. Just outstanding. I'm still wanting to see Ritsuko flushed out a bit more than a mere point in the polygon, but spoiler[the scene where Kaoru gets all forward and takes his glasses off was just splendidly done. I have to be honest, I didn't expect her to tear up. Then pan out a bit and let that awkward note just hang there, let it sink in. No slap, no "baka!" or "ecchi!", just silence and flight.] The whole thing transitioned to Sentaro's back-story phantasmagoria seamlessly, and the gig was awesome. I can absolutely relate about how stiff you can get when you have friends, family, and - god forbid - love interests show up at your gigs. The drunk spouting racial slurs and the specification of "enemy" soldiers framed the episode well giving it a nice period feel.spoiler[I'm glad to see Jun ain't so perfect and I'm looking forward to just how much this Yurika thing's going to shake up the group.]

I'm also wondering about Ritsuko. spoiler[Her behavior at the gig supports my initial thought that Kaoru caught her by surprise and she was simply overwhelmed. In the aftermath I'm betting she'd rather just avoid the topic altogether, act like it didn't happen. This is probably the case with his initial confession as well; he's coming on strong and she's focused on Sen...whether she snaps at him or not, I don't see this bit ending well for either Kaoru or Sentaro.]

The filterless was a nice touch, looks like a hand roll too.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Great episode. Kaoru annoyed me when he was taking out his frustration on Sentarou, but he reflected on that himself, so we're cool. Shame we didn't hear more spoiler[black] jazz, spoiler[stupid drunk man] Wink.
I also hope we get to know Ritsuko better next episodes.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Finally got to watch this with my friend, and wow. I have nevrr liked a show so quickly before. I love how the characters are actually drawn realistically (yet still look nice), I love the pain-staking attention to detail, and above all, I love how the characters feel like real people. There's just something genuine about them.

Oh, and the music's bitchin' too.

I'm gonna watch episode 2 later tonight.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
This show has officially evolved into a love spoiler[hexagram]

Mind=blown

What now?

EDIT: OK seriously, the amount of drama this is bound to set up is really high. Kaoru is a humongous idiot who thinks he knows everything just like spoiler[every other teenager who is/was his age] and I just can't help but shake my head as I reflect upon myself when I was his age. That's why I find his idiocy to be so believable and realistic. I hope it doesn't result in a fall out between those two because he couldn't control his emotions at all or read the context.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 20