• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Dusk maiden of Amnesia Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For those of you who are telling Sentai to "slow down" ... um, you do understand how the distribution biz works, right? Less product = less revenue. Also, the more titles you put out, the more chances of having a big seller that can subsidize other titles that didn't sell as well. So relax - just sit back and enjoy the bounty.

I understand how it works however sales in japan is where it matters kill me baby volume one only sold 600 copies and it will never get licensed nor will it ever get a second season.

I don't mind sentai picking up series that are going to bomb in japan like kids on the slope, another and MGX because those shows do not appeal to that audience in japan however they will sell here since we are more open to those shows.

The other problem is that sentai does have to face funimaiton in court this later year for the subsided of former licenses they bought off when they where ADV films. Then they split to 4 smaller companies which could go either way for them. If they don't win then all the money they have been wasting on licenses will have been for nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, both the shows I wanted to get licensed have been so. Thanks Sentai!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Toriko36

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see that Sentai is picking up these great titles for the Spring 2012 season.

Does anyone know how long the turnover will be before we see a North American Blu-Ray release? I know the show must finish before any release comes out, but how long will we see this after it finishes airing? 6 months? 9 months?
mckg1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I will buy this one, looked interesting enough Smile.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, if there's ever a season to over-reach on, this one is probably a safe bet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

I understand how it works however sales in japan is where it matters kill me baby volume one only sold 600 copies and it will never get licensed nor will it ever get a second season.

Ummm, no, sales in North America is where it matters for Sentai, Funi, ect. Sales in Japan are alright to look at, but they're hardly the end all be all for R1 releases.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
but I wonder if there is an out-clause in the contracts for home media rights if the show bombs via streaming since all the Sentai announcements mention home media release to follow.

Way to kill the celebratory mood. I doubt Sentai would not do a home release if the streaming "bombed." If they have the distribution rights, I don't see why they wouldn't do a home release and make a profit.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Sentai is indeed truly on fire! I was hoping this would be picked up seriously they have licensed twice as many more titles then Funimation this season..hopefully all of them are given finely crafted dubs!

given the amount of dubs Sentai does don't count on it, they only dub their BDs and they don't release a whole lot of those, so unless it says they'll dub it in the initial release the odds of a dub are dramatically reduced

personally, as a UK fan all these Sentai licenses are a big disappointment, our market limits distributors to dubbed releases, sub only just isn't viable to them given the small market so Sentai's recent spree of licenses over the past 2 seasons is kinda a blow to our future releases. one distributor is trying out a Blue Exorcist sub release as a trial again to see if its possibly viable but even if it is its doubtful smaller, less popular releases would be
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't care so much if Sentai licenses every star in the sky. As long as they do a quality job with what they have. Not that everything they do is bad, but let's just say my confidence isn't a 100% with them.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For those of you who are telling Sentai to "slow down" ... um, you do understand how the distribution biz works, right? Less product = less revenue. Also, the more titles you put out, the more chances of having a big seller that can subsidize other titles that didn't sell as well. So relax - just sit back and enjoy the bounty.

Also, a series that would be a money loser as a DvD/BD dub release could well break even or make a modest amount of money as a DVD, sub-only release. For the most part they aren't announcing which is which, likely because they'll decide when they see how the series perform while streaming ~ they'll be getting demographics from Crunchyroll, from TAN's streaming, and from Hulu.

Indeed, if its a package deal with an across the board MG paid, the license cost can easily end up being similar to getting the license on spec. That is, say that in a four series package deal, series A earns 5% of the package MG, B earns 10%, C earns 25%, and D earns 40%. So altogether, the package earned back 80% of the MG, and no residuals have to be paid. But the MG payment is only 25% higher than the straight royalty rate.

If they were individual licenses at 1/4 that MG each, A is paying 400% extra for the MG over the royalty rate, B is paying 150% extra, C covered its MG, and D paid residuals. And A is probably losing a lot on that basis, where it might be breaking even as part of a package deal.

Add on top of that, a single package deal contract saves contracting costs for the licensor and for the licensee both, and it would not be surprising if there are more series announced than contracts being signed, with some of these announcements being Sentai doling out announcements from the same package deal.
Macron One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind sentai picking up series that are going to bomb in japan like kids on the slope, another and MGX because those shows do not appeal to that audience in japan however they will sell here since we are more open to those shows.

I could see Another doing okay for Sentai, but i suspect Kids on the Slope may be an expensive failure for them (especially as they've already confirmed it will have a BD release and consequently an English dub).
While it looks to be an excellent series, it is still essentially a slice of life character drama, which is a genre that never seems to sell well in the US regardless of quality. The Nabeshin and Yoko Kanno involvement may lure in a few folks, but outside of Miyazaki, most anime fans tend to not pay attention to production staff, so i highly doubt it would make enough of a difference.

Toriko36 wrote:
Does anyone know how long the turnover will be before we see a North American Blu-Ray release? I know the show must finish before any release comes out, but how long will we see this after it finishes airing? 6 months? 9 months?

Considerably longer. It'll usually take until 6 months or so after the Japanese BD/DVD release wraps us, so i'd expect you're probably looking at a wait of approx. 12 to 15 months.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
While it looks to be an excellent series, it is still essentially a slice of life character drama, which is a genre that never seems to sell well in the US regardless of quality. The Nabeshin and Yoko Kanno involvement may lure in a few folks, but outside of Miyazaki, most anime fans tend to not pay attention to production staff, so i highly doubt it would make enough of a difference.

I doubt anime watchers who don't pay attention to production details are interested in buying anime in the first place. The mention of Miyazaki suggests that you are referring to more superficial anime fans.

I am sure Sentai would love to sell 50,000 of each anime they release. But the ones buying Kids on the Slope are more dedicated fans who want to own a series they enjoy. I think good anime sells regardless of genre. I assume that U.S. anime buyers would be interested in a jazz series.

I am no expert, but I assume Sentai will be happy selling 7000-10000 copies per release. I doubt Sentai or Funimation can ever approach Miyazaki anime sales. Miyazaki movies and late night anime series are in two separate camps sales-wise.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yeah and make sure you pick up their titles as soon as they come out, so if (when) they do go out of business you'll be covered. Wink

I really hope that they know what they are doing and are around for years to come, but some of the decisions they have been making make me wonder.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Macron One wrote:
I could see Another doing okay for Sentai, but i suspect Kids on the Slope may be an expensive failure for them (especially as they've already confirmed it will have a BD release and consequently an English dub).

Well key/visual arts anime adaptions seem to do quite well on their own here with nearly everyone I know owns a copy of clannad or air. Drama can sell well here but the problem is who is doing it, how is it going to be handled and how the series will conclude it's self. Half of clamps works are also drama's even code geass towards the end it's all bout doing it right or people wouldn't care so much about fictional characters like rika from higurashi and want to see her happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, by this point it was pretty obvious they had this one. It was the one title I really wanted, so of course they would wait a bit to announce it. I'm glad to get confirmation though and I look forward to checking it out.

To volibear, the titles Sentai is releasing sub only wouldn't have made it to the UK anyway. They are being released subonly because the market interest is low and they don't warrant the cost of a dub. It's not likely that Funi or Viz would have picked them up and dubbed them. If Sentai didn't grab them, they would have likely been passed over and never released in the UK anyway.

On the bright side, most of Sentai's dubbed series do eventually get picked up for the UK. I would just hope the streams do well and they choose to dub them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5