• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eureka Seven AO BD to Have English Subs in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
I like this idea but I feel as if it could put some american anime companies out of business. If someone only watches subs then they will only buy these and have no need for the official english release. At the same time though it could make bringing the series over here easier because instead of having to sells rights and all the japanese companies can just put subs on the blu ray.

But I think the Japanese can make the sub-title better than the American because Japanese is their first language. And that's enough for us, isn't?
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

A nice box is one thing. I could care less about a super fancy set with extra crap in it. The extras for the most part are cheap throw away stuff that in no way justify the extra price at all. Trim all the fat and just sell me something. As long as it's something I know I want to buy and has subtitles on it I'll buy it. But to add a bunch of useless crap just to drive the price up is stupid and never in my life will I but a set just to get a few extra things that are way over priced.

That doesn't pay. There aren't enough people like you out there. For many people, any price seems to be too much for anime to them. They've been trying the pull a profit by driving down prices since the market crashed in 2006 and it hasn't worked. Sorry.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
However, there is indeed no reason for the Japanese distributors to region code their own BD's ~ that's a condition they impose on distributors in other media regions to put more sand in the gears of reverse import ~ so for a BD-oriented Direct English Export model, it would indeed make all the sense in the world to license for English Speaking Countries and make the Direct English Export available to online distributors in North America, the UK&Ireland, and Australia&NZ. For some titles, that would push them over the threshold to justifying a dub. For others, not.
But if they do that then they are opening their market for reverse importation unless they slap a hefty import tariff on them to deter it.

North America and Japan are in the same Blu Ray region, UK and Australia in a distinct one ~ and selling Japanese Blu Rays at approximately Japanese prices weeks or months after the Japanese release is not expected to carry much reverse import risk.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but North America is likely over half the English speaking anime market, ...
I think you might be being a bit biased in your estimate there, or are you including Canada in that as well? ...

The repeated "North America" instead of "US" means that, yes of course I am including Canada in that as well.

But keep the populations in mind: US, 313m, UK 62m, South Africa 50m, Canada 35m, Australia 22m, Ireland 4.6m, New Zealand 4,4m ~ R1 English Speaking Countries, 348m, R2&4 English Speaking Countries: 143m. So unless anime is over twice as popular on average in the R2&4 English Speaking Countries than in North America, R2&4 would be less than half.

Also the indirect market indicators that when the original licensors license out English Speaking Country rights rather than individually, we very rarely see UK or Australian licensees picking up English Speaking Country master rights and then sublicensing to the R1 distributors, and frequently see the reverse.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are aware but India's second language is English from the days of the Raj

I hadn't the faintest idea ~ indeed, I worked a decade in an Australian university setting without meeting a single person from the subcontinent ...
Quote:
... and there must be a few anime fans living there as well though we don't hear much from them.

But they mostly consume bootlegs, so aren't a big factor in market calculations.

Last edited by agila61 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
badox wrote:
Ichigo77 wrote:
I like this idea but I feel as if it could put some american anime companies out of business. If someone only watches subs then they will only buy these and have no need for the official english release. At the same time though it could make bringing the series over here easier because instead of having to sells rights and all the japanese companies can just put subs on the blu ray.

But I think the Japanese can make the sub-title better than the American because Japanese is their first language. And that's enough for us, isn't?
Translating into your second/third/etc language is a recipe for poor translations; if you want good English subs, you need a native English speaker.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
badox wrote:

A translator has to understand the source language and be fluent and an effective writer in the target language. So they normally hire native English speakers who are fluent in Japanese and experienced in translation from Japanese into English for this kind of work.

If you are going to hope to sell even a couple of hundred copies as exports to an English speaking audience, at $500 or so for series at Japanese single prices, and about 55% net revenue, that would be $55,000 in extra revenue. At that kind of incremental revenue, you can afford a professional translator.

Polycell wrote:
Translating into your second/third/etc language is a recipe for poor translations; if you want good English subs, you need a native English speaker.

Quite. Composing is more demanding than comprehension, so the most critical is fluency in English.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

A nice box is one thing. I could care less about a super fancy set with extra crap in it. The extras for the most part are cheap throw away stuff that in no way justify the extra price at all. Trim all the fat and just sell me something. As long as it's something I know I want to buy and has subtitles on it I'll buy it. But to add a bunch of useless crap just to drive the price up is stupid and never in my life will I but a set just to get a few extra things that are way over priced.

this world is not about you.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

Haha nice.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

So please tell me then all those extras that come with that fancy box really worth it. Is it really worth that price increase? I understand the collectors mentality and companies trying any way possible to sell those discs.

I always felt that I was getting ripped off and screwed. I want to at least feel like I'm getting a decent deal. Also you know this tittles will easily just get thrown on torrents since less people will more then likely buy it, but that is something completely different, and I really dont want to get into.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
Value is subjective. Those who think the fancy extras are worth more than the price will pay, those who don't won't.
Quote:
There is no further need to discuss this matter.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
I always felt that I was getting ripped off and screwed. ...

In the US market in particular, we are used to DVDs only being an incremental revenue generator for productions that have much of their cost covered by other revenue, chiefly advertising and cable subscription incomes. So in a sense, we have been used to taking a free ride on content mostly paid for by someone else.

Since the decline of advertising revenue for afternoon anime and of sales of media at rental prices to rental outlets for afternoon and late night anime, for more and more series, the merchandise income and the disc sales have to carry the whole load.

The "extras" are obviously pandering to the interests of the kind of people ready, willing and able to pay the costs implied by a small niche market covering the bulk of the production costs of relatively expensive to produce entertainment media.

And in a sense, if they are covering a big share of the cost of a typical production budget, they have earned the right to have their interests pandered to.

If there is a price that is financially viably at sales of 50,000 units and there are 10,000 people who are willing to pay that price but not one cent more, they don't get to be pandered to until and unless someone works out a way to make that price financially viable with only 10,000 extra people entering the market at that price.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
Back when I was collecting the original Eureka seveN there was more than a one-year gap between volumes four and five of the R4 release. Was one of many reasons why I ended up dropping the original series. So having the English subs on the Japanese discs this time round would be kind of useful if that situation happened again.

Of course, that's assuming I'd want to pay those prices for a show that isn't anything special. Seriously, every time it copies a bit of Neon Genesis Evangelion I find myself cringing, because the difference in quality is so stark.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6