• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zetabag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Alright time for the spring anime preview, lets have a look at what people are saying about this season's anime.

*walks into the thread*
HOLY SWEET JESUS!!!
*grabs the popcorn*

Surrender Artist wrote:

Wait, is ANN a bar now?

If this is a bar then I guess this clusterfuck of a thread is a good old fashion old western bar fight, too bad I missed most of it. Oh and I'll have a Bloody Mary please.

Anyway, it's a good thing I'm not a gambling man because I was damn certain that Upotte would be this season's most controversial topic. While my prediction on Zac's reaction was spot on (seriously that picture he posted is all that needed to be said) its seems his review of MGX was stolen Upotte's thunder.

Well it seems that this time around I actually have quite a bit to look forward to. Space Brothers and Lupin III's first episodes have me hooked and I'm eagerly awaiting Eureka Seven: Ao. And as weird and batshit insane Upotte is I'm actually interested in it, Having a mild interest in the technical details of firearms, I'm interested in seeing how far it will go with its personification of firearms and how "accurate" its implementation of those details are.

Anyway loved Zac's review of Upotte, my day just wouldn't be complete without seeing this show completely blow his mind.

dragon695 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
HOLY CRAP I COME BACK 24 HOURS AND 10 PAGES LATER AND YOU ARE STILL FIGHTING OVER ZAC'S REVIEW OF MGX?!?!?

Imagine if dtm24 wasn't banned... Wink

Wasn't he just suspended? I seem to remember that in the post where Zac gave dtm42 the boot he told him "time for you to take a few months off".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
seinenfan wrote:

I'm pushing the agenda that attacking something for simply being "gross" is not a professional way to criticize anything.

That's too far a blanket statement. We attack Western shows for their bathroom humor all the time! 2 Girls 1 Cup? Laughing

[EDIT: No no no. This is what I said I wanted stopped. - Key]
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:

Your feeling of it being rushed is completely justified - the first episode covered the entirety of volume 1, and the second episode covered the majority of volume 2. And Zetman volumes are closer to 250 pages than the standard 200 pages.

While it's true that the manga's pacing is quite slow, I think that's part of what's good about it...It takes its time to tell a good plot. Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed with the anime choosing to take the route it has.

That's really unfortuante, one volume per episode is a pretty insane pace. Guess i'm finally gonna check out the manga after the anime ends to see what they've left out.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Well,I want to make clear a couple of things. There were people who wonder why I was complaining about "Mysterious Girlfriend X." I was then told that Sentai Filmworks already licensed this thing and it's going to be brought to America. I don't know if the people at Sentai Filmworks knew what they were getting. They probably thought they were getting another "Ranma 1/2." Unfortunately for them,that's not what they're getting.
I admit I haven't seen the show but I wonder,did the people at Sentai Filmworks also see the show? I read the reviews of this so let me explain this so everyone will know what I'm talking about. Boy meets girl. Boy likes girl. Boy drinks girl's drool for some reason. Boy gets sick from girl's drool. Later,boy and girl are sharing each other's drool. Viewer gets an irresistible urge to look up show creator's name on the internet and also looks up Japanese insane asylums and then calls them to see if this person is an escapee from one of them.

I'll be honest. I feel sick just writing about this. I fail to see the romantic angle of a teenage boy and girl drinking each other's saliva. I'm sorry but I fail to find ANYTHING romantic about this concept. There are people who are going to be saying I'm taking this way too seriously. How could I not?! The show is about a boy and girl drinking each other's drool. That's disgusting,not very romantic,and a show I'm not going to see or buy in the near future.
Another show is called "Nyarko-san:Another Crawling Chaos." I wish Sentai Filmworks licensed this instead of "Mysterious Girlfriend X." It's about a teenage boy who's being protected by a girl who claims that she's one of the Cthulu,one of the creatures H.P. Lovecraft used to write about. And from what I've read about it,I think Mr. Lovecraft would be spinning in his grave right now if he knew what this show was about. To me,this show seems like a lot of fun and one I hope comes here in the near future.

That's it for me for now. See you guys later.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

By the way, your pictures aren't all correct, you might want to verify their placement.

I know - I don't have any control over that aspect of the previews - I just write 'em. I'm sure someone will fix it soon, though.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
ah so its a bar now eh? I'll have a root beer on the rocks then!

well just saw the first two eps of accel world. I'm interested for now, but As for the MC, the main thing I'm curious about is his development. seeing as how this is a light novel based series I'll predict by the end of this a real conclusion won't be reached. however I want SOMETHING. have him man up alittle and learn how to face certian problems in reality. I'll like his character more that way.

meanwhile, kuroyukihime (damn thats a long name) is nothing but interesting at the momment, I hope it leads to something good and not BS.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,I want to make clear a couple of things. There were people who wonder why I was complaining about "Mysterious Girlfriend X." I was then told that Sentai Filmworks already licensed this thing and it's going to be brought to America. I don't know if the people at Sentai Filmworks knew what they were getting. They probably thought they were getting another "Ranma 1/2." Unfortunately for them,that's not what they're getting.

A very, very long time ago (eight years ago, in fact) I stood up at the ADV panel at Otakon 2004 and ask their rep (I forget who, DLW? Whatever) if they realized what they'd gotten into by licensing Elfen Lied, which had just aired its first episode that week.

Do you really, really think that a bit of drool tasting is anywhere near on the level of actual fucked-uppedness as what goes on in the first episode of Elfen Lied? Or Gantz? Or any of a number of anime that have been licensed by The Company Formally Known As ADV?

The manga has been running since 2006, its been fan translated for basically that entire period. Its not like this is something that just popped out of nowhere here in 2012, hell, the original one-shot is roughly contemporaneous with that question I asked ADV about Elfen Lied.

I don't care if you find it gross, but good god, ELFEN LIED HAS A NAKED GIRL RIPPING THE HEAD OFF ANOTHER GIRL. ON SCREEN.

Why is that not a problem and a guy tasting a girl's drool (which anyone who's had even a slightly sloppy kiss has done) a hill to die on?

Its nuts!
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

A very, very long time ago (eight years ago, in fact) I stood up at the ADV panel at Otakon 2004 and ask their rep (I forget who, DLW? Whatever) if they realized what they'd gotten into by licensing Elfen Lied, which had just aired its first episode that week.

Do you really, really think that a bit of drool tasting is anywhere near on the level of actual fucked-uppedness as what goes on in the first episode of Elfen Lied? Or Gantz? Or any of a number of anime that have been licensed by The Company Formally Known As ADV?

The manga has been running since 2006, its been fan translated for basically that entire period. Its not like this is something that just popped out of nowhere here in 2012, hell, the original one-shot is roughly contemporaneous with that question I asked ADV about Elfen Lied.

I don't care if you find it gross, but good god, ELFEN LIED HAS A NAKED GIRL RIPPING THE HEAD OFF ANOTHER GIRL. ON SCREEN.

Why is that not a problem and a guy tasting a girl's drool (which anyone who's had even a slightly sloppy kiss has done) a hill to die on?

Its nuts!

Um, you don't know if the person you're responding to has even seen Elfen Lied.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I admit I haven't seen the show but I wonder,did the people at Sentai Filmworks also see the show? I read the reviews of this so let me explain this so everyone will know what I'm talking about. Boy meets girl. Boy likes girl. Boy drinks girl's drool for some reason. Boy gets sick from girl's drool. Later,boy and girl are sharing each other's drool. Viewer gets an irresistible urge to look up show creator's name on the internet and also looks up Japanese insane asylums and then calls them to see if this person is an escapee from one of them.

I'll be honest. I feel sick just writing about this. I fail to see the romantic angle of a teenage boy and girl drinking each other's saliva. I'm sorry but I fail to find ANYTHING romantic about this concept. There are people who are going to be saying I'm taking this way too seriously. How could I not?! The show is about a boy and girl drinking each other's drool. That's disgusting,not very romantic,and a show I'm not going to see or buy in the near future.
Another show is called "Nyarko-san:Another Crawling Chaos." I wish Sentai Filmworks licensed this instead of "Mysterious Girlfriend X." It's about a teenage boy who's being protected by a girl who claims that she's one of the Cthulu,one of the creatures H.P. Lovecraft used to write about. And from what I've read about it,I think Mr. Lovecraft would be spinning in his grave right now if he knew what this show was about. To me,this show seems like a lot of fun and one I hope comes here in the near future.

That's it for me for now. See you guys later.

Romance or beauty is in the eye beholder on some levels and I will leave on a full quote watch one episode than make a blank judgment, reviewing a piece of media or taking a stance with out seeing it is well..rude. If you hate the series after watching the first episode or reading the first chapter that's fine because you can proudly say I watched this piece of crap and this is xyz why I hate it.

I will also state this now if some is offended or disgusted by something there is no point in trying to argue with them because that's their prescriptive on things. I might be counter-aguring with myself from my other paragraph but everyone has things that make them go eww or wtf. Me personally i am at a point where it takes a lot to even offend me or make me loose faith in humanity from all the bs I have seen on the net in the past 8 years from @chan to other related stuff to not be amazed or surprised how low people will sink.

Again this is just personally my take nothing really offends me in anime, music, t.v. or any form of media that is trotted in this day/age. Now I have stated one thing I didn't like awhile back but I have my reason why the only other thing was my wife is elementary school student and this is or was running manga. Now if you are personally offend by shows like mxg fine but it's not stopping me from pre-ordering the dvd's when them come out on right-stuf and that's where we need to be at...peace~

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

By the way, your pictures aren't all correct, you might want to verify their placement.

I know - I don't have any control over that aspect of the previews - I just write 'em. I'm sure someone will fix it soon, though.

It's been fixed.
Yupa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Merida wrote:
Hmm, second ep. of Zetman was still fairly confusing and felt pretty rushed. It's probably not a good idea to turn an ongoing 17 volume long (to date) manga into a 12(?) ep. anime... would be interesting to hear from people who are reading the manga how close the anime is to the source material and how many chapters they are squeezing into one episode.

Your feeling of it being rushed is completely justified - the first episode covered the entirety of volume 1, and the second episode covered the majority of volume 2. And Zetman volumes are closer to 250 pages than the standard 200 pages.

While it's true that the manga's pacing is quite slow, I think that's part of what's good about it...It takes its time to tell a good plot. Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed with the anime choosing to take the route it has.

Interesting. I haven't read the manga and I'm very satisfied with the pacing. Actually I think they should've just skipped the first episode and started with the second (maybe with a few flashbacks). The first episode didn't interest me that much and I didn't like young Jin.
However, the second episode was much more interesting. Maybe not very original, but still quite entertaining. I'll keep watching this show.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:

Um, you don't know if the person you're responding to has even seen Elfen Lied.

That is, in fact, entirely beside the point of the post and my anecdote.

Reading comprehension, not just for SATs.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Well Fencedude5609,I haven't seen "Elfen Lied" because of it's extreme violence. Thanks for telling me about the scene in which one girl rips another girl's head off on screen. That gives me another reason to avoid it. And "Gantz" as well. I never bought either of those shows and I don't plan to see them anytime soon either.
Look,I know what shows to avoid and stuff like this are among those I avoid like the plague. I don't want to see "Mysterious Girlfriend X,""Elfen Lied," or "Gantz." I don't want to see those shows and I have no real wish to see them.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well Fencedude5609,I haven't seen "Elfen Lied" because of it's extreme violence. Thanks for telling me about the scene in which one girl rips another girl's head off on screen. That gives me another reason to avoid it. And "Gantz" as well. I never bought either of those shows and I don't plan to see them anytime soon either.
Look,I know what shows to avoid and stuff like this are among those I avoid like the plague. I don't want to see "Mysterious Girlfriend X,""Elfen Lied," or "Gantz." I don't want to see those shows and I have no real wish to see them.

*sigh*

You are, of course, missing the [expletive] point.

Christ, this isn't hard.

The issue is not whether or not YOU should watch them, I don't give a fudge whether you want to watch them or not, why should I? The POINT is that you, having NOT watched them, are going off on a tear over them and speculating about how CLEARLY Sentai doesn't know what they are getting into with them and how could ANYONE possibly want to watch them. THAT is the point.

Please, attempt to understand the difference.

Edit: And just use "Fencedude", please. I'm not even sure why I appended numbers to the account, but it irritates me.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I admit I haven't seen the show but I wonder,did the people at Sentai Filmworks also see the show?

If you haven't seen the show or read the manga, then how could you conceivably have any opinion on it, especially one strong enough to to say the following:
Snomaster1 wrote:
I read the reviews of this so let me explain this so everyone will know what I'm talking about. Boy meets girl. Boy likes girl. Boy drinks girl's drool for some reason. Boy gets sick from girl's drool. Later,boy and girl are sharing each other's drool. Viewer gets an irresistible urge to look up show creator's name on the internet and also looks up Japanese insane asylums and then calls them to see if this person is an escapee from one of them.

You read reviews and haven't seen the show or read the manga, yet you insist on misrepresenting the details of the show and denigrating the mangaka as someone who should be locked up in a mental institution? From the way you talk about it, it seems that you think that the two of them are drinking 32oz big-gulp size buckets-o-drool for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Did you read Key's review? Particularly the end of it:
Quote:
So, yes, this is a series which involves a boy regularly tasting a girl's drool, and while that is weird, it is far less creepy and sexualized in execution than it sounds. In fact, just about everything in the series is the first episode is delightfully offbeat, from an art style which makes the high school students look more like middle students to the jaunty musical score to Mikoto's unique attitudes, appearance (her hair usually covers one or both eyes), and behavior; her seiyuu even uses a deeper-pitched and huskier voice than one would expect. The city in Akira's dreams is an utterly fascinating-looking place, but only slightly less so is Akira's bedroom, which is bedecked with all kinds of figures and movie posters which represent both a wide array of anime series (most prominently Big O) and American sci fi/fantasy movies. (An astute viewer will spot references to One Million Years B.C., Star Wars, and The Day The Earth Stood Still, amongst others.) The episode even ends on a well-executed climax and refreshingly candid follow-up.

Don't let the premise throw you. This is one of the best first episodes of the new season.

If reviews like that make you so disgusted that you feel like you have to warn Sentai that they have purchased the license to the tool that will cause the downfall of civilization as we know it, then I have no problem with your continued complete and total disregard for reality.
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'll be honest. I feel sick just writing about this. I fail to see the romantic angle of a teenage boy and girl drinking each other's saliva. I'm sorry but I fail to find ANYTHING romantic about this concept.

Really?

Snomaster1 wrote:
There are people who are going to be saying I'm taking this way too seriously. How could I not?! The show is about a boy and girl drinking each other's drool. That's disgusting,not very romantic,and a show I'm not going to see or buy in the near future.

That's fine, but going into a discussion thread and complaining about it in extremely inflammatory language is not generally accepted as good manners on most forums, especially if you know nothing about the show other than what you have read in reviews.

Since nobody saw fit to answer my question from an earlier post, I'll re-state it here:
To all of the people that are entirely grossed out over the drool aspect of MGX, I propose a question:

First, the alternate scenario: Tsubaki wakes up Urabe in the classroom the same way as it occurs in the anime, after she gets up to leave, he is walking toward her and says her name to get her attention about the drool on her chin, but trips on one of the desks and falls on top of her, accidentally planting one on her drool soaked mouth.

In other words, If the exchange of drool was the result of the tired old anime cliche of the "accidental kiss", but resulted in the same withdrawal symptoms; then, Urabe, being too shy to actually kiss him everyday, since they have only just met after all, insisted on his getting his daily dose in the same manner as the show uses, would you still be grossed out?

My personal opinion is that it would be a worse story, since it would rely on a very tired cliche and lose a good deal of the feeling of originality that the show possesses. When he reaches out to touch and then taste her drool, it is a serious WTF moment. I think his reaction to it is pretty appropriate. He pretty much freaks and seems to be wondering what kind of perverted weirdo he is, then slinks out of the room hoping that nobody actually saw him. If it was replaced with a standard "meet cute" that has been used over and over it would lose a good deal of its power, especially since a significant point made in that scene is that, in reality, Tsubaki is a bit of a pervert. At least that is how I understood it... Smile

Anyway, just a little thought experiment to hopefully make people think a bit about it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 49 of 69