• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One peice

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ran_chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
hi! is it just me or are there not many people who like one peice out there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
There are a great many people who like One Piece out there. It's actually the most popular anime in Japan (or very close to it), and tons of people watch the fansubs over here. The only problem is that the US dub is an atrocity, which hurts some casual viewer's opinions of the show.
ran_chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
phew! i was wondering why there weren't many people who liked it! (not in japan) are the One Peice dvds with just the english dubbing? or does it have the japanese subbing with it too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
ran_chan wrote:
phew! i was wondering why there weren't many people who liked it! (not in japan) are the One Peice dvds with just the english dubbing? or does it have the japanese subbing with it too?

At the moment, there are no English Language One Piece DVDs in any country (bar bootlegs), however apparently Madman Entertainment (being in Australia you should know about these guys) are going to start putting out an uncut, bilingual version sometime early next year.

Or something.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
It's actually the most popular anime in Japan (or very close to it)

Kanto Region* Average for 2005: 5th, 11%

It does seem so underrated amongst the English-speaking fans though. It's always Naruto or Bleach that get brought up.

*~1/3 of the population
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
It's actually the most popular anime in Japan (or very close to it)

It does seem so underrated amongst the English-speaking fans though. It's always Naruto or Bleach that get brought up.

*~1/3 of the population

That is true that Naruto over shadows both Bleach and One Piece. Maybe its because of 4Kids butchering of the show? Maybe not but for some reason its not spoken much of. Naruto I can see why it overshadows both shows but i'd have expected that One Piece be more spoken of than Bleach(though I love both series...........BTW i've only seen the english dubbed version by 4Kids).

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, honestly, among my circle of friends that watch anime weekly, I'm the only one that really loves One Piece (as in I'm currently watching the series from three time periods concurrently), and another friend that enjoys it casually. I blame Oda's art style. I enjoy it, but you have to admit that it's very different than most anime, and it's almost "cartoony" approach tends to confuse people and make them less likely to get into it. Top that off with the fact that it's a huge investment of time (+ hours of material thusfar), and it takes a while to get into the series. Many people take until at least the Arlong Park arc to really get into the show (of course 4Kids removed much of the impact from that storyline).
RoseWhip

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I really like the One Piece manga, the characters have more feeling there... You should check it out if you liked the anime.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:30 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Maybe its because of 4Kids butchering of the show? Maybe not but for some reason its not spoken much of.

Not. It's just sort of always been that way, even before it was licensed. I'm not sure what it is. If you have to pick one thing that seems to turn people off the most it's the art, like Ohoni said.

Quote:
Naruto I can see why it overshadows both shows but i'd have expected that One Piece be more spoken of than Bleach(though I love both series...........BTW i've only seen the english dubbed version by 4Kids).

Naruto's more popular than OP only outside of Japan. Naruto isn't as original or even [imo]good[/imo] as OP. Plus, Naruto's dragging (even in the manga). I'm not sure why Naruto is more popular here, maybe it's the ninjas.

Anyway, if you remotely like OP dubbed, do yourself a favor, and try the sub version. It's leagues better.

Quote:
Many people take until at least the Arlong Park arc to really get into the show

Yeah, it's in this arc in particular, I fell in love with the characters, most specifically, Nami and Luffy. Before it was really standard shonen material (w/ some really wierd characters), but afterwards it just gets better and better (w/ some even wierder characters).
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ wrote:
Quote:
Many people take until at least the Arlong Park arc to really get into the show

Yeah, it's in this arc in particular, I fell in love with the characters, most specifically, Nami and Luffy. Before it was really standard shonen material (w/ some really wierd characters), but afterwards it just gets better and better (w/ some even wierder characters).

qft
Arlong Park was the first real amazing arc
very emotional, heartfelt stuff too
showed Nami was more than a booty-swindler Razz

on topic: I've also noticed that a lot of people dont like One piece because of the art-style
I mean, c'mon its not like its ugly... Its still manga, wether or not the drawings look original, in stead of the usual cliché Razz
Apart from that, I dont think there's anything holding people from liking this; it has practically all the ingredients a shounen needs, and it really is one of the best (tho I do advise you read the manga ^^)
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:22 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I don't know, honestly, among my circle of friends that watch anime weekly, I'm the only one that really loves One Piece (as in I'm currently watching the series from three time periods concurrently), and another friend that enjoys it casually. I blame Oda's art style. I enjoy it, but you have to admit that it's very different than most anime, and it's almost "cartoony" approach tends to confuse people and make them less likely to get into it. Top that off with the fact that it's a huge investment of time (+ hours of material thusfar), and it takes a while to get into the series. Many people take until at least the Arlong Park arc to really get into the show (of course 4Kids removed much of the impact from that storyline).

I'm the only person in my circle of friends who even LIKES One Piece. Everyone else just makes fun of it. I've tried getting various friends into the series by sort of skipping around to the good stuff, since, I myself, wasn't really into the series until at least Baratie, but it hasn't worked. I guess it's a loss cause, but I really do blame the art style.

It is hard to recommend, since it's a series you're going to have to want to watch, but it seems that once you get hooked, you're going to love it. I guess I don't understand why people purposely choose to miss out on something they'd probably really enjoy if they could get over their preconceptions on things, like the art style of One Piece. Even then, when the series switches into badass mode, I think the art style is very cool by any standards.

IchigoK90 wrote:
i'd have expected that One Piece be more spoken of than Bleach

I post on a gaming message board with an anime forum, and there are tons of Bleach topics nowadays. A number of people there like One Piece, but nowhere near the same amount that like Bleach.
Utokai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
I saw the show and hated it. The manga, however, is very good. Anyone who's a fan or casual viewer should give it a read. Very good stuff.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not sure why Naruto is more popular here, maybe it's the ninjas.

We LOVES our ninja in the US. Ninja Gaiden, I believe, is another series that does much better in the US than in Japan. But then, we also loves out pirates. Ah, the eternal struggle of pirate vs. ninja, when will it end?

Quote:

qft
Arlong Park was the first real amazing arc
very emotional, heartfelt stuff too
showed Nami was more than a booty-swindler Razz

Right. That, and to a lesser extend parts of Sanji's arc, were the much more emotional than previous portions. The scenes about Shanks and Zoro's girl were touching (again, much moreso in the original than in the 4kids dub), but Nami's story, and the way Luffy took charge were really dramatic. It really makes Luffy a dynamic character, that part of him is wacky and fun loving and incorrigable, but there's a solid core to him that is as inspiring and powerful as a Captain America or a Superman as a leader when the situation necessitates it.

The writing on One Piece is by far the best of any shonen manga, whether the story apeals to you or not, the pacing, layouts, characters, etc. are considerably tighter than anyone else's. The art is definitely a hit or miss. If you can get past the abstract nature of it, most agree that it's some of the best art in shonen manga, especially in terms of panel layout and posing. It's clearly different from almost any other manga though, and some people can't relate it's almost cartoony parts to the serious plots and fighting that goes on within.

Quote:

I post on a gaming message board with an anime forum, and there are tons of Bleach topics nowadays. A number of people there like One Piece, but nowhere near the same amount that like Bleach.

Bleach, like Naruto, is just bad ass, has samurai (esc) characters with swords, and huge effects. That's a strong pull. I love them all. I'm not sure which I could most stand to give up if I had to, but probably One Piece would be last to go.

Quote:
I saw the show and hated it. The manga, however, is very good. Anyone who's a fan or casual viewer should give it a read. Very good stuff.

What differences made you enjoy one and not the other?

One thing I DID give 4Kids credit for (at first) was that they did streamline some of the anime filler (like the dragon island arc after Louge Island, even if it did feature my favorite move, gum gum rocket axe), but they took it a bit too far by cutting out the episodes with the whale where they got the log pose (the resultant episode was HORRIBLE) and that they skipped the entire Giant Island arc, which was damned cool ("hello, this is the ####y resteraunt", how will that joke make any sense when it's done later in the Alabaster arc?). Wink

But the anime COULD use some CAREFUL trimming to excise some of the lamer filler arcs and overly extended combat sequences (like how the final fifteen minutes of the Alabaster arc take about two hours worth of episodes to get through.
Utokai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I hated the dub. It was terrible. I actually read the manga first, and then attempted to watch the show. It was decided very quickly that I would stick to the manga. It had nothing to do with story, just production. The animation doesn't bother me, as it fits One Piece; it's just the dub.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
We LOVES our ninja in the US. Ninja Gaiden, I believe, is another series that does much better in the US than in Japan. But then, we also loves out pirates. Ah, the eternal struggle of pirate vs. ninja, when will it end?

Yeah, I wonder if that's because ninja and samurai are more Japanese-specific and pirates are worldly (or even more 'Westerner') in nature. As for ninja vs. pirate...ninjas win in general. But Luffy Pirates vs. most ninja I've seen (including Naruto's), Luffy Pirates (especially if you've read the most recent chapters). Though it doesn't matter, Saiyans trump all anyway. Wink

Quote:
like how the final fifteen minutes of the Alabaster arc take about two hours worth of episodes to get through.

Yeah, the end to the Alabasta arc was pretty bad. The way Luffy beats Croc, the whole bomb countdown thing, and spoiler[Pell surviving], were all pretty poorly done. Still it's not at the Goku vs. Frieza level, so it's withstandable.

Quote:
it's just the dub.

Well, yeah, the dub version sucks ass. The sub is much better, but you still have to get into the Baratie and Arlong Park arcs before it really starts clicking on all cylinders.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2