• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter (TV 2011).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
Yet another stupid change from the manga by not having the three being able to open the Testing Gate after 3 weeks. Hell, that was one moment where Leorio actually shined compared to Gon and Kurapica seeing as spoiler[only he could get 2 doors to open].

I do like that the BGM isn't god awful anymore. And is that Mamiko Noto as Kalluto?
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
But I don't remember Gon being as afraid of Mike as he was in this one.

Well he was.

I have to disagree with this. Though the scene was adapted pretty faithfully, the major difference lies in what the 1999 series does with Mike afterward.

Nippon Animation forces Gon to face his fear--the climax of the Mike episode features him running from the beast in a courageous effort to save Leorio, whom made a careless mistake. But in both the manga and Madhouse's version, Gon will never encounter Mike again in the entire series. That scene should stand alone because it exists to develop Gon's character.

Gon is more of a "hero" in the 1999 series during this arc. But in the 2011 series, he's more of a reckless kid attempting to be a hero and failing miserably. This is how Togashi gradually builds Gon for the future. It will continue.

Gon's character development will indeed crescendo to a much more obvious and loud Fortissimo, but Togashi is purposefully building up the protagonist of his series in Pianissimo in the beginning. Watch him start to shine brilliantly in ways unpredictable.

In the Madhouse version, to the casual viewer, Gon should seem as if he's one-dimensional. But Togashi will soon start to prove exactly why Gon is the most atypical and unconventional protagonist in Shonen manga today.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
Going pretty good so far, but to sum it up with a few words:

Hunter x Hunter Kai.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Let's talk about some important things in this episode.

It begins with a flashback. Young Killua meets Canary and tries to befriend her. It's clear that she wants to do so, but she has to decline at the imposition of her employer. Kikyo is from Meteor City too--it's something that hasn't been revealed in the manga, but was written in the guidebook.

So the reason why Canary slipped last episode should make a bit more sense. She wasn't just touched by Gon's determination, but he represented something that she cannot be: friends with Killua. Even if she wants to, it's one of the most taboo things in the Zoldyck household. Because of the nature of her job and their own. Canary didn't cry out of sadness--she cried because she was touched. Touched that someone would love Killua enough to break him free from this perverted family. To try and make a change through force if he had to.

I really liked how abruptly the flashback ended, with Killua remembering Gon's face (asking to be friends). It implies that it's the only thing keeping him going. This is what he wants most in life and he's being deprived of it.

Now that you've met most of the Zoldyck family, it should be clear just how twisted they are. Killua described himself as a bit of a liar; he must get it from his mother. Kikyo lies all of the time in this episode in order to protect what she wants. But despite how strange they are, there's something unexpected holding them together: love. A strange, distorted love.

Despite Killua being flogged and tortured for weeks, he doesn't think any less of his family for having done it. In fact, he lets it go. He's had his body violated for so long and he thinks that there's nothing wrong with that. It's extremely sad, but that IS what's considered to be "normal" in his own household. Milluki might have perpetrated this, but he still has good things to say about Killua. It's...something else. Killua was lying to Gon when he said that his ultimate goal is to "capture his family." He actually really cares for them. But he wants to live his life without being oppressed.

Killua's conversation with his father Silva is the highlight of the episode and the most important part of it. The two make an oath in blood: Killua will never betray his friends. Given how badly that Killua wants this, start to pay attention to the lengths Killua will go to keep that promise. We've already seen one way: Killua threatened to kill his own brother if he harmed them.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
Let's talk about some important things in this episode.

It begins with a flashback. Young Killua meets Canary and tries to befriend her. It's clear that she wants to do so, but she has to decline at the imposition of her employer. Kikyo is from Meteor City too--it's something that hasn't been revealed in the manga, but was written in the guidebook.

So the reason why Canary slipped last episode should make a bit more sense. She wasn't just touched by Gon's determination, but he represented something that she cannot be: friends with Killua. Even if she wants to, it's one of the most taboo things in the Zoldyck household. Because of the nature of her job and their own. Canary didn't cry out of sadness--she cried because she was touched. Touched that someone would love Killua enough to break him free from this perverted family. To try and make a change through force if he had to.

I really liked how abruptly the flashback ended, with Killua remembering Gon's face (asking to be friends). It implies that it's the only thing keeping him going. This is what he wants most in life and he's being deprived of it.

Now that you've met most of the Zoldyck family, it should be clear just how twisted they are. Killua described himself as a bit of a liar; he must get it from his mother. Kikyo lies all of the time in this episode in order to protect what she wants. But despite how strange they are, there's something unexpected holding them together: love. A strange, distorted love.

Despite Killua being flogged and tortured for weeks, he doesn't think any less of his family for having done it. In fact, he lets it go. He's had his body violated for so long and he thinks that there's nothing wrong with that. It's extremely sad, but that IS what's considered to be "normal" in his own household. Milluki might have perpetrated this, but he still has good things to say about Killua. It's...something else. Killua was lying to Gon when he said that his ultimate goal is to "capture his family." He actually really cares for them. But he wants to live his life without being oppressed.

Killua's conversation with his father Silva is the highlight of the episode and the most important part of it. The two make an oath in blood: Killua will never betray his friends. Given how badly that Killua wants this, start to pay attention to the lengths Killua will go to keep that promise. We've already seen one way: Killua threatened to kill his own brother if he harmed them.

I'm inclined to think your wrong on a few counts here:

her crying is unlikely to be a matter of empathy as opposed to being self pity knowing she can't have what these three before her can. she really wants to be friends with kilua yet she knows she can't.

and the flogging to kilua is his way of laughing in the face of his brother knowing full well any beating he receives wont make him one iota more sorry for stabbing him or his mother when he left home. he put up with it as a way to spite them.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:

I'm inclined to think your wrong on a few counts here:

her crying is unlikely to be a matter of empathy as opposed to being self pity knowing she can't have what these three before her can. she really wants to be friends with kilua yet she knows she can't.

and the flogging to kilua is his way of laughing in the face of his brother knowing full well any beating he receives wont make him one iota more sorry for stabbing him or his mother when he left home. he put up with it as a way to spite them.

To be honest, the reason as to why I can say this is because I'm up to date with the manga. I stand by my original post. PM me if you want the details spoiled, because I don't wish to post them here.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Okay, there's one thing that really bugs me about episode 25....

The characters say "Yorkshin City", but the subtitles translated it to "Yorknew City"...

I thought names aren't supposed to be translated. After watching the old anime, and listening to the the characters call it Yorkshin, it just seems really off to translate it to "Yorknew" in the subtitles.

Regarding this episode, regardless of how strong he might be, I think Killua might be overestimating Hanzo a bit, or underestimating Hisoka.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I imagine that Crunchyroll is just using Viz's translations. Same with the Celestial Tower being called Heavens Arena. It's just the translation they chose.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Right now my opinion is that the original was much better, at least up to this point in story. I don't like the way they either rush or just skip a lot of the original had, although it's understandable since this is a rehash.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
While it's definitely not as good as the old anime(I just...miss this bgm so much), there are some bits I felt is done better in this anime. The Zoldyck familar is done better in the new anime imo. And the character designs definitely improved.

Some of the animations and character designs just look inconsistent back then, which makes sense considering the time it was made. But it did improve considerably as that anime went on.

And I consider the streamlined pace of the new anime a necessary evil. The old anime was LONG. It would take years for the new anime to finish Greed Island if they went with the old anime's pace.
Megiddo wrote:
I imagine that Crunchyroll is just using Viz's translations. Same with the Celestial Tower being called Heavens Arena. It's just the translation they chose.

Wait....this series is licensed in english?

Huh, the more you know...

Doesn't fill me with confidence how they translate names though. I was told anime/manga localisations were well past the days of mind-boggling changes. Confused
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
They didn't do anything with the family of assassins, though. Someone new to Hunter x Hunter must be going "huh?". I don't recall how far the original went, but I don't think that did so well either.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
From my own comparison, it seemed like the new anime gave Kikyo more personality.
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Since this is an alternate retelling of the original, I can't say I can watch it with bias, especially since I did like the original anime, and probably some of you guys think the same way. But in terms of what the anime is supposed to do, which for me is to narrate the story more quickly, it is managing.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
is it really rushing? i mean it seems like most people who say the show is rushing is just because they don't realize there was alot of filler in the old series.

new episode was good but looks like next week is recap. which is fine since they at least have something to recap this time.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
If fillers bothered me I'd be reading manga. But yes, it is rushing, no doubt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 52