• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Omega TV Anime's Cast Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shukero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
looks kind of 90's animation, but non-the-less looking forward to it Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
looks kind of 90's animation, but non-the-less looking forward to it Smile

That's the only kind of anime that actually interests me lately. I hope that the JP release will have English sub so that i won't have to worry about a US license but then again Saint Seiya can be watched with sub for anyone with a passing knowledge in Japanese/anime.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
Furuya's voice never seems to age, and he should have never been replaced.

Toru Furuya -- Playing teenage boys since 1966!

From what I read on the Japanese Wikipedia article, after Hirotaka Suzuoki's death, Kuramada wanted to recast everyone EXCEPT Furuya as Seiya. Furuya stood up for his friends and said he wouldn't do it without the others.

I have read about that too, but i think the re-casting was made in 2005 before Suzoki san passed away (2006) as that ignorant Kuramada believed that the seiyuu sounded older and no longer cool so he wanted to re-cast them except for Furuya. Even though he should have not thought about it since the show had only 12 Eps to go. After watching Saint Seiya Hades, i can tell that Kuramada was smoking something as that the cast sounded fine for me. Perhaps few were a bit older but they still sounded the character without any issues.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
I have read about that too, but i think the re-casting was made in 2005 before Suzoki san passed away (2006) as that ignorant Kuramada believed that the seiyuu sounded older and no longer cool so he wanted to re-cast them except for Furuya. Even though he should have not thought about it since the show had only 12 Eps to go. After watching Saint Seiya Hades, i can tell that Kuramada was smoking something as that the cast sounded fine for me. Perhaps few were a bit older but they still sounded the character without any issues.

Oh just stop with your incessant whining about the matter. It's over with and that's it. Kurumada thought they were getting older, except for Furuya (who's seemingly ageless), and he asked for a change; it's his creation and, like Justin indicated in his Anime Economy articles, he had say over this stuff. Don't take it so emotionally and personally, because it makes you sound childish. While the new cast maybe wasn't quite as good as the old cast, I found that they still did a good job in the end. It's crazy how some hardcore Seiya fans are so "anti-Kurumada" about such silly things; it's stuff like this that really makes me know that I'm a "Kurumada fan" and not simply a "Saint Seiya fan".

Also, just for clarification, the Hades OVAs had another 18 episodes to go, not 12, since Hades Inferno was 12 episodes alone... Not to mention that Dragon Shiryu would have still been re-cast, since Suzuoki died before the Seiya Hades OVAs completely finished in the first place. So your precious original cast would have been sullied in the end anyway.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Weather you call it childish or not, i am confident that many fans share the same thoughts (at least in Japan from what i have personally met and they all older than me). Yes Saint Seiya is Kuramada's creation but even so he shouldn't have too much power and control over it (the anime part that it is). Even Steven Spellberg doesn't have that in his movies (well perhaps onlyGeorge Lucas does but anyway).

I will keep saying it until the end of time (weather you like it or not) that the re-casting was a terrible call from Kuramada and he knows and admit it after the last arc of the anime (Elyson). Not that i am rubbing it, but Furuya san's return is the answer to Kuramada's choice.

Maybe Suzoki's Dragon Shiryu would have been re-casted anyway but fans would have accepted that just like they did for the Kenshin Shin Kyoto Hen and Gundam Unicorn.

And just to clarify i am not an anti-Kuramada since i bought all of his shows, but i am more of a Furuya fan than a Kuramada Smile

Anyway let's drop all this and enjoy the news about the upcoming Saint Seiya, I don't know which seiyuu would they use for other Saints if they were to appear but the important is that Furuya san is back. I wouldn't mind if they bring all the originals back and use Ken Narita as Shiryu. But let's leave that for another time.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Quote:
Tohru Furuya as Seiya

And the celebration begins! Very Happy

OMG! fudge yeah! I few like a child again hahaha. Laughing
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Weather you call it childish or not, i am confident that many fans share the same thoughts (at least in Japan from what i have personally met and they all older than me). Yes Saint Seiya is Kuramada's creation but even so he shouldn't have too much power and control over it (the anime part that it is). Even Steven Spellberg doesn't have that in his movies (well perhaps onlyGeorge Lucas does but anyway).

Just because a bunch of people say it doesn't make it any less silly and childish. And, really, Japanese fans can be known to be the most picky & childish when it comes to stuff like this, hence why Toei obviously didn't put their all into doing the other Hades OVAs... The fans who wouldn't stop bitching about a seiyuu change made Toei just want to get these other OVAs over with, even if it resulted in them not looking anywhere near as nice as Hades Sanctuary. The fact that the two most recent seasons of Ring ni Kakero 1, which were also Animax-aired productions like Hades Inferno & Elysion, had the best animation that series ever had shows that it was the fans who screwed over the other Hades OVAs, since if they didn't make such a big deal about the re-cast Toei would have given the rest of those OVAs a larger animation budget.

And, like Justin indicated in his recent articles, the ways animes are created and run allows Kurumada to have that kind of control, whether you like it or not; for example, Shigeyasu Yamauchi altered the Tenaki-hen movie too much from what Kurumada had in mind, which pissed off Kurumada, so he decided to not have Yamauchi be involved in any other Seiya productions and he essentially told Toei "screw Tenkai-hen, I'll do the rest of the story myself in manga form". That's just how the anime business works in Japan and it's not likely to change.

But, hey, you can be happy with Seiya Omega all you want, since Kurumada has absolutely nothing to do with its creation whatsoever.

And bringing up Speilberg & Lucas is pretty useless, since most director's don't get situations like what Kurumada had with the Saint Seiya anime... Also, Lucas is essentially the only director who been so adamant about "fixing" and altering his movies every chance he gets.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:

Just because a bunch of people say it doesn't make it any less silly and childish. And, really, Japanese fans can be known to be the most picky & childish when it comes to stuff like this, hence why Toei obviously didn't put their all into doing the other Hades OVAs... The fans who wouldn't stop bitching about a seiyuu change made Toei just want to get these other OVAs over with, even if it resulted in them not looking anywhere near as nice as Hades Sanctuary.

And just because bunch of other people say it's cool or not a big deal doesn't make it so ? What makes your opinion higher than others ? Unless you're producer or one of Kuramada's assistance then you are at the same boat as any other fan in Japan or the world. You can either like or don't like the show or support it by buying/renting it or not. What makes you or the other people special ? Nothing !

Bottom-line, you wanna enjoy the show or not it's up to you like any other fan. If you agree with the re-casting or ok with it then it's cool but so are others who were not happy it. Trying to show the right hand of justice for your opinion is just trolling and i won't go into that.

As for the series being made without Kuramada, like the Gundam, Hokuto No Ken, Dragon Ball GT....etc,. Saint Seiya is now a soul of it's own that can exist with or without Kuramada. Having him on board is fine but the show can go on without him. And for me i would like to see this independent Saint Seiya and how it becomes.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Great news Tohru Furuya is back Anime hyper . But it would be a little pointless if Seiya doesn't have at least a role to play in this anime . If it's just for one or two episodes it would be really a shame Anime cry .
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:
Great news Tohru Furuya is back Anime hyper . But it would be a little pointless if Seiya doesn't have at least a role to play in this anime . If it's just for one or two episodes it would be really a shame Anime cry .

The series website shows his name at the last of the cast members like Shuuchi Ikeda as Full Frontal in UC, and Akira Kamiya as Roy Fokker in Macross Zero. With (special appearance) line next to Furuya san's name. I think he will be a supporting character like the Golden saints for the original series. How much is his involvement in the story or plot remains to be seen.

Since my friend will be attending the Saint Night event on March 30th, which will have Furuya san and Midorikawa san as guests. I'll ask him to fill me in if there are any updates to the show.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
hence why Toei obviously didn't put their all into doing the other Hades OVAs... The fans who wouldn't stop bitching about a seiyuu change made Toei just want to get these other OVAs over with, even if it resulted in them not looking anywhere near as nice as Hades Sanctuary. ... it was the fans who screwed over the other Hades OVAs, since if they didn't make such a big deal about the re-cast Toei would have given the rest of those OVAs a larger animation budget.

Source? Otherwise, I'm calling you delusional.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
hence why Toei obviously didn't put their all into doing the other Hades OVAs... The fans who wouldn't stop bitching about a seiyuu change made Toei just want to get these other OVAs over with, even if it resulted in them not looking anywhere near as nice as Hades Sanctuary. ... it was the fans who screwed over the other Hades OVAs, since if they didn't make such a big deal about the re-cast Toei would have given the rest of those OVAs a larger animation budget.

Source? Otherwise, I'm calling you delusional.

Not that it's a reliable source of info or anything, but I know a hardcore Saint Seiya fan who simply refused to support the series (but not Canvas) after Hades due to the re-casting. Well he could be alone or bunch of others but hey people are free to voice their own opinion from their own money.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Seiya0890 wrote:

The series website shows his name at the last of the cast members like Shuuchi Ikeda as Full Frontal in UC, and Akira Kamiya as Roy Fokker in Macross Zero. With (special appearance) line next to Furuya san's name. I think he will be a supporting character like the Golden saints for the original series. How much is his involvement in the story or plot remains to be seen.

Since my friend will be attending the Saint Night event on March 30th, which will have Furuya san and Midorikawa san as guests. I'll ask him to fill me in if there are any updates to the show.

I see, well it is better than nothing, but something is on my mind: if the new charactere has the time to grow up and he is the one to save Saori and not Seiya : does that mean that Saori and Seiya don't get married ? Confused (what ? I always tought it would end up like this Embarassed ) Too bad I wish I would see it Anime cry .
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
Hey I just realized that I could be lucky ! Because I am still missing the golden Pegasus Seiya cloth figure from my Saint Seiya Cloth figures collection. And with the new show they are will probably make a new cloth Myth figure based on it. So I can get it without having to pay the ridiculous prices for it at eBay and auction Japan Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2