• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime characters that look alike in different series.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Don't forget everything ever done by Rumiko Takahashi. Inuyasha=Ranma, Ryouga=Koga. I know she didn't do just those 2 titles but their just examples.
InuYasha look like Ranma? Hmmm, Inuyasha's yellow slithed eyes, long hair sliver hair, and, of course, dog ears, to Ranma's black, round eyes, black hair with a pig tail, and, well, human ears. I'm might be missing something, but those don't look alike.

Koga has long hair, but chop it off, yes they do kind of look alike. But to be a bit more fair, Koga looks more like Shukumaru from Fire Tripper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Also Meg from Bakuretsu Tenshi looks alot like Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

That girl in Futari Ecchi looks alot like Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Jo from Bakuretsu also looks like Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

BakuTen looked alike NGE more or less intentionally -- not as evident as Ikki Tousen, though.

Futari Ecchi?! Which girl were you talking about? The artstyle and storytelling of Aki Katsu is completely different from Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's.

Nagisa wrote:
So then, is there going to be an actual point or discussion to this thread, or is it just going to be mindlessly listing characters that look vaguely alike with some vague attempt at sarcasm?

Well, I do have something to discuss with. Anime smile

When similar characters are featured in different shows, most of the newer ones are designed to make fun of the original or make more cash from a popular style with a lookalike. However, I still can't forgive GAINAX copied the entire cast and staff from Mahoromatic to KonoMini, along with mirrored characters. Not to mention that KonoMini was their 20th anniversary project; just compare it with LastEXILE, Gonzo's 10th anniversary project.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not suggesting that it's anything other than pure coincidence, but Caitlin Cook from the Canadian animated series 6Teen looks almost exactly the way that Miyu Yamazaki from Super Gals! would look if rendered in 6Teen's Flash-like* animation style.

*For anyone that cares about obscure technical details, though Nelvana's 6Teen looks as though it was done in Shockwave Flash, it was actually done using a 2D/3D hybrid animation software called Toon Boom Harmony.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Well if the look-a-like thing dies down then heres another thing to discuss: Character designs you thought were just plain horrible and didn't fit the character personalities or the series. One such series that I can think of where the character designs just didn't fit had to be Kanon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
outlawwolf wrote:
Don't forget everything ever done by Rumiko Takahashi. Inuyasha=Ranma, Ryouga=Koga. I know she didn't do just those 2 titles but their just examples.
InuYasha look like Ranma? Hmmm, Inuyasha's yellow slithed eyes, long hair sliver hair, and, of course, dog ears, to Ranma's black, round eyes, black hair with a pig tail, and, well, human ears. I'm might be missing something, but those don't look alike.

have you seen him in human form?
Walkabout

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote
Two words: Hojo Tsukasa
More words: City Hunter, Angel Heart, F. COMPO, Cat's Eye
There's one female character in all of those that pretty much looks exactly the same...not that I'm complaining, Hojo rules...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Well if the look-a-like thing dies down...

I'm still waiting for your answer regarding Futari Ecchi. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Walkabout wrote:
More words: City Hunter, Angel Heart, F. COMPO, Cat's Eye

With the exception of F.COMPO, the other three share a lot of characters.

Personally, I think every manga-ga faces a dilemma: if their characters look alike, they'd be accused of lacking creativity; if one or a few characters stand out in particular, it/they would be speculated as being drawn/designed by an assistant. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Sorry my mistake. The character I was thinking of was Koizumi Akira from Iketeru Futari. Thats why I was confused. Anyways she looks exactly like Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Preston

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Also Meg from Bakuretsu Tenshi looks alot like Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Jo from Bakuretsu also looks like Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

In Meg's case, she does look similar, but towards the end of the series I did feel the similarity lifting. Her likeness was much more evident than Jo's, who I can not imagine being anything like Rei towards the end of the series. When I did see her I was like 'omg! Rei!', but that kind of disappeared as the series progressed. Especially in episode.. um.. 6 when you see a real re-incarnation of Rei as a schoolgirl.

In the manga Jo does not look anything like Rei, nor in the 14th episode flashback. Seems Jo's haircut and highlights have made her look a little like Rei; she did use to have long white hair.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Well since I can't think of some characters that look alike i'll say this one thing that i've noticed about character designs. Here it is in anime that have black characters (sorry to anyone if this offends them but i'm trying not to be rascist Sad ) they use stereo types in designing them. Like black people have big lips and big noses. Thats something that i've noticed in some anime. Another thing i've noticed is that they draw them either with a brush cut, afro or just a plain shaved head. Anyone else notice this?
Saouri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Ah great, a "Separated at birth" thread!

Melissa Mao from Fullmetal panic and Motoko Kusanagi in GitS: SAC.

Ed Elric from FMA and Kiiru (Keel) from Tide-line Blue

Rei Ayanami from Evangelion and Miharu in Gasaraki

All the Leiji Matsumoto's girls: Emeraldas, Yayoi, Maetel, Stella...

Ban Mido in GetBackers looks a little bit as Basara from Macross 7.

Eeeeem...Sailor Moon and Nobel Gundam of Gundam G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Saouri wrote:

Holy crap now I remembered. How could they stereotype the character like that? Of COURSE the Gundam just HAD to be girly because a girl was the pilot. What made it stranger is that Nobel Gundam was a representative of Sweden, so shouldn't it be designed to be symbolic of the country? Question
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Saouri wrote:

Holy crap now I remembered. How could they stereotype the character like that? Of COURSE the Gundam just HAD to be girly because a girl was the pilot. What made it stranger is that Nobel Gundam was a representative of Sweden, so shouldn't it be designed to be symbolic of the country? Question

I also wanna point out that The Gundam representing Canada is so wrong. Canadians ain't lumberjacks! We have more than wood, maple syrup and hockey. We have Toronto, the most multi-cultural city in the world! As said by the UN.........If i'm not mistaken.
Saouri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Gundam G use sterotypes, but i think some of the mechs are too in the edge.
About Nobel Gundam, just in the name (for Alfred Nobel), but the look of the MS is Sailor Moon, so doesn't have many sense.

Well, back in the thread:

*Kaworu Nagisa in Evangelion and Tsukasa in .hack//SIGN.
*Lucy/Nyu in Elfen Lied and the twins of Tsukihime: Hisui and Kohaku.

And even if Tatu Paragate never see light, did you notice the similarities between that girls and Orihime and Tatsuki in Bleach?.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I thought Miroku from InuYasha and Van Fanel from Escaflowne looked alike. Of course, both titles come from the same people.

Likewise for Spike Spiegel (and his millionaire look-alike) from Cowboy Bebop and Mugen from Samurai Champloo. While the same voice actor in English performed both roles, he was also the voice for Roger Smith in Big O and Kazuma in s-CRY-ed. These two characters look different from each other, never mind from Spike and Mugen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4