• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live Action Eva

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:09 am Reply with quote
I was recently watching my director's cut editions of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I watched the special fatures on the production of the new live action movie. The last I heard of the live action movie was when people were sending death threats to just about everywhere after Anime Insider gave their own cast list and selected Hilary Duff to play Asuka. Has anyone heard any news about the movie such as a cast list (I want the real one not the one you would like to have) or a start date for the filming of it?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:39 am Reply with quote
They've been looking for a director for some time now, and from the signs of things (unless you count ADVs "word", heh Rolling Eyes ), it has a snowballs chance in hell of getting off the ground.

No cast list, no other credits beyond WETA, Gainax and ADV.
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:33 am Reply with quote
Is this supposed to be a Hollywood or Jollywood production? I think Weta featured some photos with Japanese actresses (or were they just stand-in models?) as Rei and Asuka.

On a related issue, at the end of the Lament of the Lamb (Hitsuji no Uta) manga there was an interview with the manga's creator, He mentioned a live-action movie of his manga. Anybody heard about it?
necroanimeman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm just hoping that live action eva wont suck

i loved the anime, one of the best
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I hope that the live action Eva movie does no take off. This is because I believe that the show was so well done that I believe that a live action would be tampering with a masterpiece. Also I would suspect that it would create a large number of unwanted and annoying n00bs.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Kyle Smyth wrote:
Also I would suspect that it would create a large number of unwanted and annoying n00bs.

It's the "annoying n00bs" that keep franchises alive. I like n00bs, they keep the stuff I like affordable and easy to get. All of us were n00bs at some point.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Kyle Smyth wrote:
To be honest I hope that the live action Eva movie does no take off. This is because I believe that the show was so well done that I believe that a live action would be tampering with a masterpiece.

I've always wanted to ask, and since you're the latest to say something like this, I'll ask you. Say it does end up being made. You think it won't live up to the original, so you don't go see it. What impact does it have on you then? Or, you go see it, and end up not liking it. What are you out? The price of the ticket and a bit of your time. Somehow I doubt it would change your perception of the anime. There's a great many people who have said they don't want it to be made because they don't think it will be as good. Well, don't see it then. Nobody will know how good it is or isn't until it is made. I, for one, want to see what Eva looks like live action on the big screen. As for the n00bs, everyone started out as a n00b, so I don't see what that has to do with anything.
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I am for sure going to see it. I have not heard that it will be made by hollywood or not. Personally the way I see it it could go both ways. Hollywood has turned Spiderman into a great franchise and did not at all wreck its legacy. I hope the same goes Eva. Secondly about that whole "n00b" post, my friend was at my house when he decided to use my logon to talk about newbies. He's a big CS player and decided like most Counter Strike players for some reason hate newbs. Personally it seems as though everyone hates the people who were into pokemon but I don't. I mean I was one of those people at the time and it brought me further into anime, so I don't at all hate newbies. I personally love going to conventions and talking with them because they are usually very into what you are saying and you don't feel like an ass if say something wrong or say the wrong thing.

Also if they make the live action in Asia will it be dubbed or subtitled?
coolGAL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I can't belive Anime Insider sugjusted Hillary Duff to play a caricter she sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
If any anime series were to be made live-action then it should be made by Lucas, Just look how realistic he made his Star Wars movies look like. Go STAR WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Kyle Smyth wrote:
Also if they make the live action in Asia will it be dubbed or subtitled?

Neither, because it's it's an American-produced film.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I hope it doesn't happen personally, but if it does I'll see it. I highly doubt it will translate successfully since Evangellion's story is pretty complicated to fit in just one film.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
If it does get made I don't think it'll be made into a hollywood film because of it's religious content. Also what would the movie be about? Would it be just a remake of End Of Evangelion? Or a short recap of the series like Death & Rebirth? Or something new in an alternate universe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I hope it doesn't happen personally, but if it does I'll see it. I highly doubt it will translate successfully since Evangellion's story is pretty complicated to fit in just one film.

Well, at last account (in other words, the last time I personally heard Matt talk about it), the rough screenplay encompassed the first third of the series. I agree there is too much info to compress into 2 hours or so.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if its was mad it could be turned into a 3 part trilogy. Hollywood has been doing that with alot of movies lately. Recent titles in trilogies would be Star Wars Prequels Trilogy, Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, Matrix Trilogy, Spiderman is being turned into a Trilogy, Blade Trilogy, and Xmen is being turned into a Trilogy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3