• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Princess Jellyfish Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
As a collector, I like everything about Princess Jellyfish BD/DVD except packaging and marketing. For a show that centers around female otakus, It lacks things that core otakus appreciate. The package lacks certain charm and marketing of the DVD as "limited edition" is deceiving. They put any available Japanese video bonus materials and "home-made" extras, but those are pretty common in any edition. Where is staff interviews? What about mini art book and/or explanation on pop culture reference and cameo appearances? The things that core otaku really dig.

Honestly I have no problem with videos released by Funimation. I appreciate Funimation allocate their resource to put dubbing. I have few Funimation DVD's which are good as they are, without being limited edition. If Funimation wants to sell their product as limited edition to core otakus and collectors, then they should take it more seriously. (Unless Princess Jellyfish BD/DVD's completely sell out within a year, I doubt of it as limited edition)
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Princess Jellyfish is selling very well over at Amazon (#5 in Anime and Manga overall) so I hope this sends a message to Funimation that we will pay for more experimental titles.
loka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
If Funimation wants to sell their product as limited edition to core otakus and collectors, then they should take it more seriously.

Quite true. Physical extras are deal makers.

While the show might be slapping you around with pandering, it doesn't so much punch you in the face repeatedly as "Honey and Clover".

And I liked it a lot more than the previous josei title I saw, "NANA".
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Regarding the 'Ore' thing, another less pretty but effective method to go about retaining the meaning would be to put in translator notes.

"This boy" might be a bit awkward, but it maintains the flow of the scenes. HE'S SAYING "ORE" WHICH MEANS HE'S A MAN appearing at the top of the screen wouldn't do that. I think translation notes are best avoided if at all possible.

Animegomaniac wrote:
I thought Mayaya was supposed to be irritating as it's part of her obsession/character; She's not only a fan of the Three Kingdoms, she's loudly a fan of the Three Kingdoms. Did I miss something?

Deliberately annoying is still annoying. She gets a lot of spotlight for something annoying.

Animegomaniac wrote:
There are Otakus, there are Neets then there are these girls, who are just one flaw away from being "socially acceptable" while at the same time, they are proud of being social rejects together. Nothing like combining "she cleans up nicely" together with "just be yourself, by yourself" to kind of create the wrong message for the value of individuality {Something of a pet peeve of mine}. But then again, this is what I got from the manga...

The problem is that the Sisters' strange ways made them unable to even verbally protest the planned destruction of their home. They're so insulated they wouldn't have even found out if it weren't for Kuronosuke. Unable to enter society for any reason, they were nearly swept away by society. There was a lower-stakes version in Genshiken when their club was almost disbanded by the school. Passivity in the face of threat to what one values is submission to the will of others, not individuality.

And I think the idea behind the "clean up nicely" part was that looking good is a question of skill and effort and that "the Stylish" aren't some sort of distant, alien class. Here also you can easily compare the interest Kuronosuke has in something "normal" like looking good with the Sisters' interest in their more unusual pursuits.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Really nice review, I do need to catch this series "besides on Hulu" episode one was great. The premiss, characters just everything sounds like something I would love despite being a guy.. lol. In all honesty from what I am getting it's about finding your own way in the world, making a mark etc. I am not there yet as person despite my age or mentality..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
reanimator wrote:
If Funimation wants to sell their product as limited edition to core otakus and collectors, then they should take it more seriously.

And I liked it a lot more than the previous josei title I saw, "NANA".

Pretty sure NANA isn't in the josei category. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shukero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm a particular type of anime fan where I judge everything from the art to the music; and I just couldn't handle this art Sad

To me it was just something I couldn't handle, so I had to drop the series. I always struggle with manga and anime like this in the past, a good example would be the fruits basket manga. (although I loved the anime series - Blueray collection I just got yesterday :3)

But I guess I'm just a bit too picky. I'll see a bit later if I can handle this Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Pretty sure NANA isn't in the josei category. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I remember reading somewhere that it was originally a josei, but when the manga was brought over it was marketed as a shojo title to appeal to a wider market.

Quote:

Quote:
reanimator wrote:

Quite true. Physical extras are deal makers.

While I agree that Funations limited editions aren't as robust as ones from other companies, they have been putting in little physical extras in for people who pre-order through rightstuf.com. Princess Jellyfish for example came with a Clara keychain.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
Princess Jellyfish is selling very well over at Amazon (#5 in Anime and Manga overall) so I hope this sends a message to Funimation that we will pay for more experimental titles.

This.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
It's fitting that Rebecca Silverman reviewed this as she also reviewed Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei, which is a very different, and less respectable, sort of series, but in some strange way, they've become linked in my mind. (I even plan to watch them one after the other)

I've had my copy for a while, but I haven't watched it since there are several things that are in line before it (I follow something of a last in, last out policy with this sort of thing), but I'm pretty eager to get to it.

What I'm most interested in finding it out, besides whether I'll like it or not, is how I'll react to the series. I could imagine either enjoying it as a sort of fictional case study, being more interested in observing the events and wondering about how other audiences might relate to them, or genuinely empathizing with the characters and becoming emotionally engaged as was, I presume, intended. I think that either outcome will be worth it, but I'll hope more for the latter.

I'm interested in the, by now infamous, 'date rape sequence'. As distasteful as it might be, it portrays something uncommon in fiction and while a merciful universe will keep portrayals of uncommon, I think that it might be enlightening to see how it's portrayed and how I will respond to it.

I have high hopes for the English dub too. The trailer for it is what really made me interested in the series. Maxey Whitehead seems like inspired casting for the part.

Stark700 wrote:
chrisb wrote:

This.

That's at a hopeful sign, even if I'm not sure how much of one. (It's very annoying that it's so hard to get information about how well anime titles have sold) For some reason, the title in first place for that category at the moment is Confucius, a live-action film starring Chow-Yun Fat. This fact might have no significance at all, but it amused me.

If you really want to whip some (probably false) hope up, the below was reported from the Princess Jellyfish panel on the first day of Katsucon:

Crystalyn Hodgkins wrote:
When asked about a possible second season, Bevins added that the Japanese producers were waiting to see if the U.S. sales were positive first before they considered greenlighting a second season.

I can't help but feel like the days when this sort of thing would happen have passed, but that would be swell.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
If you really want to whip some (probably false) hope up, the below was reported from the Princess Jellyfish panel on the first day of Katsucon:

Crystalyn Hodgkins wrote:
When asked about a possible second season, Bevins added that the Japanese producers were waiting to see if the U.S. sales were positive first before they considered greenlighting a second season.

I can't help but feel like the days when this sort of thing would happen have passed, but that would be swell.

!

Big O 2 eventually got made, after all...
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Big O s2 got made because CN put up some money to get it produced. Unless the Kuragehime Production Committee is waiting on Funimation to invest in the production then Princess Jellyfish isn't in the same boat as Big O.
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed it, and I actually preferred the English dub. I wasn't a fan of the ending at first, but I am coming to terms with it. Concerning Mayaya; whether or not she is supposed to be annoying does not change the fact that she is, indeed, annoying. I would have preferred a little less screen time with her because her personality is so powerful it sucks the energy from every scene she's in.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Big O s2 got made because CN put up some money to get it produced. Unless the Kuragehime Production Committee is waiting on Funimation to invest in the production then Princess Jellyfish isn't in the same boat as Big O.

they actually said that the US sales would affect the chances of a season 2.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:

That's good to see. I remember when Funi streamed the show and then asked/polled if I/you would purchase the series. I voted 'Yes' and am glad the voting was so positive. It's such a different series and so well written. These type of more adult stories need to be licensed more often to balance out the choices out there in the anime market. I like a good action series, but there's times when I need to watch something that takes it's time telling a story about everyday people, even one's that are a tad off-kilter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3