• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fast and Furious 3 a blatant Initial D rip-off

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:52 am Reply with quote
Lucas Black leads the cast for "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift," the third installment of the Universal Pictures franchise being directed by Justin Lin and produced by Neal Moritz. Also cast are Bow Wow, Brian Tee and Nikki Griffin, as well as Sung Kang ("Antwone Fisher"), Jason Tobin ("Better Luck Tomorrow") and newcomer Nathalie Kelly. "Tokyo Drift" is set in the underground world of Japanese drift racing, where rear-wheel cars speed into turns and "drift" sideways for as long as possible. The story revolves around outsider (Black) who, to avoid jailtime, is sent out of the country to live with his military father in a cramped apartment in a low-rent section of Tokyo. When he loses a race to a driver with ties to the yakuza, he has to pay off his debt by going deep into the Tokyo underworld.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001218601
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:13 am Reply with quote
The plot is somewhat different, but I just have to chuckle at the drifting-cash-in. Fast and the Furious has always been a wonderfully fun, neon-pink-car-through-brick-wall laugh-o-rama, so this will be something to look forward to since the producers have decided to raise (lower?) the bar once more.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
While we're on the subject of Hollywood films being ripoffs of anime series, I'd like to say that Stealth is a ripoff of Yukikaze. Laughing
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote
I heard that Serenity is based off a TV series from the late mid 90s called Firefly.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iria51

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
No, I think it was more like the mid 2004's.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Starwind: Actually, Macross. The director admitted it, and I put it in a thread.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
I heard that Serenity is based off a TV series from the late mid 90s called Firefly.

He was kidding....

Didn't you know that Star Trek is a ripoff of Space Battleship Yamato, Charlie's Angels are a ripoff of Gunsmith Cats and X-men is a ripoff of s-CRY-ed.

Didn't you!?!?!?!
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
ParaParaJMo wrote:

He was kidding....

Didn't you know that Star Trek is a ripoff of Space Battleship Yamato, Charlie's Angels are a ripoff of Gunsmith Cats and X-men is a ripoff of s-CRY-ed.

Didn't you!?!?!?!

you owe me a new keyboard! I spittook all over mine when I read that Laughing
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
ParaParaJMo wrote:

He was kidding....

Didn't you!?!?!?!

I didn't say whether or not he was kiddding. I just wanted to make sure if anybody knew anything about it. And Spider-Man was really made by Ikegami and not Stan Lee Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Eh, the Tokyo "drifting" scene was pretty ripe for explotation, so it was pretty inevitable that the Fast and the Furious franchise would get to Tokyo sooner or later, regardless of whether or not there's any Initial D influence (and I'm not saying there is).

As for Stealth, the Yukikaze connection is unlikely, since the film was already in preproduction when Yukikaze first made it to DVD in North America, while the Macross influence is vague (mainly visual), at best.

And, as for Firefly/Serenity and Outlaw Star, it's more a case that Joss Whedon and Takehiko Ito had a common influence, western-flavoured pulp "space opera" sci-fi from authors like E.E. "Doc" Smith. You can read a thread from 2002 on the subject of Firefly vs. Outlaw Star.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, how eager people are to say "rip off" this and that. First off, there's many anime's that have obviously attempted to draw success by taking elements from western shows/movies. I love how fans can only seem to drive one way on a two way street sometimes.

The fact of the matter is you can take nearly anything in either anime or western film and find a common element enough for some fan to scream "rip off".

Serenity is based on the show Firefly, more or less a continuation of that show. The show was actually influenced in large by a book, you know, those paper things you see in stores that aren't animated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:06 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:

Serenity & Firefly have the same characters and plotline.

When I first saw a trailer for the show, I thought it was going to be like "Outlaw Star"; considering both had a girl in a trunk.
remember love

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi you said that stealth with macross is vague only visuals.
I think your wrong there, I haven't seen the movie yet but from the storyline they do seem to be similarity. ON macross plus, the test pilots at the end had to face off with an A.I. fighter that gained a personality or sub-concience or whatever you want to call it. That's basically what happens in stealth right? A new AI fighter comes in to testing with four (or was it five) other fighters, It gets hit by lightening now it has a sub concience, now the fighters have destroy the AI. Seems a little similar off of macross... Different yes, but I can see that the writer could of based it off Macross Plus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
While we're on the subject of Hollywood films being ripoffs of anime series, I'd like to say that Stealth is a ripoff of Yukikaze. Laughing

I was thinking that as well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
So any word on Jay Chou being in the movie?

I wonder if one of the Japanese cast members will have a Hachi-roku.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2