• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chrono Crusade and things like it.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I recently watched .Hack//sign and loved it, and was wondering if anyone knew any good shows kinda like it. I was told that chrono crusade is slightly like it by a friend, but i wanna hear some real fans oppinions.

thanks Smile
GP
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Chrono Crusade is nowhere near being similar to .hack//SIGN. Chrono Crusade takes place in late 1920s New York, while .hack takes place in a fantasy land (which happens to be in a video game). Your friend obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. And in my opinion, Chrono is better. .hack is just dead boring.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
They are both pretty good shows but no where near similar. 1 involves demons, the other involves a maniac video game program. 1 takes place in the 1920's, the other happens in the near future. Also, Chrono Crusade is a more action based show as .hack//Sign requires a more patient, non-add prone person to enjoy it since the action isn't exactly a mile a minute. Maybe he meant the artistic style was like Chrono Crusade but he was probably just generalizing them both since they are both anime.
Dark_Kaine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Chrono Crusade- Is in the 1920's I believe before the WWII arrives. If you seen the last of the series, it will say a war is coming and it shall be fulfill. It's like a history of today. It's not a game, it's life or death and it has something to do with churches, Devil and other organizations.

.hack//sign- However is in the future of 2004 or 05 w/e. It's about the game and it's server problems. players play in the game for fun and fight monsters not Devils or Angels.

Last edited by Dark_Kaine on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:20 am Reply with quote
I think he meant the artistic style, but anyway which one do you think is better? or any other anime's kinda like chrono crusade that you would reccomend?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
Dark_Kaine wrote:
Chrono Crusade- is in the 1920's I believe before the WWI arrives.

Something is not right in the sentence above...can you elaborate? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
I've never seen .hack, but I know Chrno Crusade is a pretty good series. It's just mindless entertainment really, the whole storyline is rather clichéd riddled with "fanservice", it's a good series to just sit back and enjoy the action and the over the top characters.
Dark_Kaine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Dark_Kaine wrote:
Chrono Crusade- is in the 1920's I believe before the WWI arrives.

Something is not right in the sentence above...can you elaborate? Rolling Eyes
I meant WWII sorry about that, My Keyboard isn't working these days
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:49 am Reply with quote
I think the only other anime you'll find with Western-style churches going and fighting demons and stuff will be in the "vampire" category. Shows like Hellsing or Trinity Blood.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:05 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
I think the only other anime you'll find with Western-style churches going and fighting demons and stuff will be in the "vampire" category. Shows like Hellsing or Trinity Blood.

Not exactly; Witch Hunter Robin is another excellent show with churches fighting occult, yet its story and artistic style are completely different from those of Chrno Crusade or .hack//SIGN, so I'm not sure if GloriousPikachu would like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quote
If all anime were similar in stuff like setting, storyline, plot, etc, it'd be boring as hell and I'd quit watching them. If you saw .hack//sign and really liked it, you won't find anything "similar" except the sequels and whatnot. Don't try to find what's unique in one anime in another.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
one3rd wrote:

Not exactly; Witch Hunter Robin is another excellent show with churches fighting occult, yet its story and artistic style are completely different from those of Chrno Crusade or .hack//SIGN, so I'm not sure if GloriousPikachu would like it.

Is that really a church thing though? Most of the time, it seemed like they were acting as a para-police organization.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Is that really a church thing though? Most of the time, it seemed like they were acting as a para-police organization.

Not much has been shown on TV, but it's evident that spoiler[STN has a strong connection with the Church, hence the Inquisition in episode 13 "The Eyes of Truth."]

Very much like the popular PC game Deus Ex.
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
It's not necessarily the artistic style i'm looking for it more the overexxagerated characters, comedy, and action.

P.S. i looked at Witch Hunter Robin and it looks like a great show, i'll definately check it out.

GP
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Dark_Kaine wrote:

.hack//sign- However is in the future of 2004 or 05 w/e.

Actually, some sources have pinned it around the time frame of 2010.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2