• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2 Polls Give Different Results on Most Wanted Anime Sequels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Hmm based on both polls, the sequels I would like to see are:

Toradora (not sure if rank 1 would fit but definitely top 5 in my book)
Steins; Gate
Elfen Lied
Fortune Arterial: Akai Yakusoku
Angel Beats!
High School of the Dead
Blue Exorcist
Clannad: After Story
Sekirei
Darker than Black
Full Metal Panic
Spice and Wolf
Rozen Maiden

As for Hanasaku Iroha, according to sources...there will be a spinoff focused on Minko that will debut soon.

Not agreeing with School Days or Yosuga no Sora though..those series should stay ended.

Also not on that list, I'd love to see Deadman Wonderland, Suzuka, Gakuen Alice, Vampire Knight, and a few others. Basically, any series that could have another potential season with material left in the manga that hasn't been covered in anime tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't see how any story in the Toradora universe can top what has already been established in the series. Characters' feelings are resolved for the most part, and they're all growing up from their "teen angst" stage, so I can't see how a sequel could feel like Toradora besides having the same characters. Unless J.C. Staff can somehow pull off an "~After Story~" phenomenon and surpass the first season like Clannad did, it'd be a huge challenge to raise above that high a bar, regardless.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
To the 3 people that voted for Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san, I love you. Shocked that Kenshin and Hikaru no Go weren't on either of the lists though. Especially when Pilot Candidate of all things made the first list. Guess 14 fujoshi really want to see what happens between Zero and Erts, heh.

EDIT: I also think it's hilarious that Sunred made the second list with zero votes.

Well I'd argue that Pilot Candidate had no ending, it just shat itself and died. Maybe they want to see what could be constructed out of the fecal matter?
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
For those who are saying that Angel Beats has too much closure for a sequel, I suggest you go watch the "2nd term" short. It seems to hint that there is more to the story than we originally thought... though it may be somewhat hypothetical.

I mean, the series is good on its own without that, but I think it brings up an interesting premise for a sequel without ruining the series' actual ending.
Eliazel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
You want more of Clannad Afterstory? I mean, seriously?

A sequel is for those anime who haven't ended in relation to the manga/light novel. Like these:

Haruhi Suzumiya
Spice and Wolf
Slam Dunk
Skip Beat
OreImo

And definitely NOT these:

Clannad Afterstory
Toradora
Artemisia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
To the 3 people that voted for Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san, I love you. Shocked that Kenshin and Hikaru no Go weren't on either of the lists though. Especially when Pilot Candidate of all things made the first list. Guess 14 fujoshi really want to see what happens between Zero and Erts, heh.

EDIT: I also think it's hilarious that Sunred made the second list with zero votes.

Well I'd argue that Pilot Candidate had no ending, it just shat itself and died. Maybe they want to see what could be constructed out of the fecal matter?

Well that's because the pilot candidate manga has no ending and because the author doesn't really finish a lot of her projects, she kind of pauses and moves on to something else. She needs to finish dnangel first then go to pilot candidate. A fruits basket remake would be nice instead of a sequel. The anime kind of screw up two main characters.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
...I liked Candidate for Goddess.

The ending theme was catchy.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
What the heck? There's a whole lot of those that don't need sequels at all. Confused

Although I do definitely agree with:
Highschool of the Dead
Blue Exorcist
B Gata H Kei
Psychic Detective Yakumo
Kaze no Stigma
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Full Metal Panic
The World God Only Knows
Usagi Drop
Sekirei
Rozen Maiden
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple
Banner of the Stars
Isekai Seikishi no Monogatari
Spice and Wolf
Darker Than Black

...needing sequels, so in that regard, I tend to agree more with the second list in terms of it's content. I could also add a whole score of s*** that wasn't on the lists and could have been.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:53 am; edited 4 times in total
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
TORADORA ALL THE WAY!!! I have wanted a sequel to Toradora! for a long time. I just want one because its one series I truly hold high and love. Angel Beats on the other hand does not need a sequel. It was fine with the ending it was given, and I enjoyed it a lot. But I would die for some more Toradora! Also waiting for a 3rd season of K-ON!
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
I don't agree with Castle in the Sky, Dragon Ball, or Sailor Moon.

The latter two have had enough sequels and spin-offs as it is. Whereas Castle in the Sky, it seemed like it got good closure from what I do remember, and I don't think too many Ghibi films get sequels. I'd especially rather not because some sequels just ruin the series, from my experiences.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
AnimeDuelist15 wrote:
TORADORA ALL THE WAY!!! I have wanted a sequel to Toradora! for a long time. I just want one because its one series I truly hold high and love. Angel Beats on the other hand does not need a sequel. It was fine with the ending it was given, and I enjoyed it a lot. But I would die for some more Toradora! Also waiting for a 3rd season of K-ON!

Agreed with you pretty much everything you said here except the part about K-On! For some reason, I just find the series to be boring by the 2nd season. Maybe that's just me and as I'm not a big fan of music series except NANA which I truly enjoyed and consider a masterpiece.

As for Toradora! I would like to see a spinoff rather than a sequel tbh. I would however like to see all the original characters back with new ones added. The OVA sucks thou so I'm hoping they won't pull something like that off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
How can people say Toradora actually ended and not want a sequel? The TV show ended on an absolutely huge cliffhanger. spoiler[Taiga + Ryuuji running off to their relative; the unresolved family matters?]

If there was an actual ending then the novel would end there too. I haven't read the novel, but from what I've heard about it--and correct me if I'm wrong--there's a big twist and a very bittersweet ending.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
How can people say Toradora actually ended and not want a sequel? The TV show ended on an absolutely huge cliffhanger. spoiler[Taiga + Ryuuji running off to their relative; the unresolved family matters?]

Huh? Did you not watch the last episode? Partly due to Ryuuji's influence on her, she ends up spoiler[going to live with her mom for a bit (resolving that conflict). Though she returns to school a semester later where she and Ryuuji share a simple kiss... and then another... and then one not to simple... and then another to end the show]
Kurohei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
Maybe not a season 3 of Clannad, but I'd think another movie or OVA would be cool.
Ani-watcher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
How come Puella Magi Madoka Magica didn't make the cut? That's a sequel I'm dying to see green-lit.

I know we're getting movies, but I want season two already! Come on Gen Urobouchi or Shaft, please make it happen!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5