• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ADV Box Set Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hummer2097

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quote
I noticed ADV are now releasing box sets on fewer discs than the original multi-volume releases. What’s the difference between these and the original releases? Is it that extras are being cut out and the same episode encodings are used or are they re-authoring the episodes using more aggressive compression?

I’m not usually interested in extras so if it’s just the extras cut out I may as well go for the box set but if the episodes are heavily compressed I think I’ll stick to the original releases.

Thanks for the advice.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
The extras are being cut from these boxed set releases.
Hummer2097

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the information. I went and bought the Pretear box set to check the encoding. The episodes seem to be 0.99GB each on the 3 disc box set release. If anyone has the original 4 volume release of Pretear could you put it in and check how big the episodes are on the first disc?

If anyone has checked the episode size between any of the other releases I’d also be interested to hear if there was any difference.

I’m not a huge fan of ADV (sloppy encoding, dreadful 5.1 mixes, abysmal scripts [dub and sub], and a history of other errors like overlays) but if it’s the same encodings with just the extras cut then I really couldn’t complain about such great value anime and I’ll definitely be buying a lot more.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Hummer2097 wrote:
I’m not a huge fan of ADV (sloppy encoding, WHAT? YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING MEdreadful 5.1 mixes BULLSHIT, abysmal scripts [dub and sub] THE SCRIPTS ARE FINE, and a history of other errors like overlays THOSE OLD SERIES WITH OVERLAYS HAVE ALL BEEN RE-RELEASED WITH SOFT SUBS) but if it’s the same encodings with just the extras cut then I really couldn’t complain about such great value anime and I’ll definitely be buying a lot more.

As for the boxsets, they've been doing great. Most of the time, the extras suck, anyway. All they ever have is the clean opening and closing and maybe some sketches of the characters, and maybe even some 2-minute interview with the Japanese producer who nobody really cares that much about. The only thing I look for in extras are the occasion dub VA interviews, but in the end, I'm buying the DVDs for the show, not the extras.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
What gets me is that they have to spend more money to remaster the DVD's in order to strip the extras - money they could pass off in savings to the consumer to begin with if they didn't bother. Let's face facts here - if I bought the original DVD's, I don't feel I'm getting punished because the DVD's are available later cheaper because 1) I got it right away, and 2) I got a shot at getting it with a nifty looking box. As a consumer and collector, I see that as just the cost of doing business.

So what if it's cheaper later? By the time that comes out, I'll have already seen it and bought it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
What gets me is that they have to spend more money to remaster the DVD's in order to strip the extras - money they could pass off in savings to the consumer to begin with if they didn't bother. Let's face facts here - if I bought the original DVD's, I don't feel I'm getting punished because the DVD's are available later cheaper because 1) I got it right away, and 2) I got a shot at getting it with a nifty looking box. As a consumer and collector, I see that as just the cost of doing business.

So what if it's cheaper later? By the time that comes out, I'll have already seen it and bought it.

That's a good point. At first, I heard they were putting the extras on the Azumanga Daioh thin-pak, but learned that they took it out to make the people who bought the original boxset and DVDs not feel ripped off. I view it as that we got more stuff in the box with the first releases of the series that a lot of people may not have, y'know?

But I am happy they're releasing cheaper sets. I may buy Abenobashi now Anime smile
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Hummer2097 wrote:
I’m not a huge fan of ADV (sloppy encoding, WHAT? YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING MEdreadful 5.1 mixes BULLSHIT, abysmal scripts [dub and sub] THE SCRIPTS ARE FINE, and a history of other errors like overlays THOSE OLD SERIES WITH OVERLAYS HAVE ALL BEEN RE-RELEASED WITH SOFT SUBS) but if it’s the same encodings with just the extras cut then I really couldn’t complain about such great value anime and I’ll definitely be buying a lot more.

Sorry, but their record is somewhat against them. They aren't angels.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:
Hummer2097 wrote:

Sorry, but their record is somewhat against them.

How so?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
There are far worse and the ones that are better aren't a ton better either. They're just the most apparent, and as with anything the most apparent is the one that gets the mud slung at it by the fanbases. Much like an up and coming band will be considered cool until they reach a level of popularity at which point they're not cool anymore despite the fact they haven't changed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
There are far worse and the ones that are better aren't a ton better either. They're just the most apparent, and as with anything the most apparent is the one that gets the mud slung at it by the fanbases. Much like an up and coming band will be considered cool until they reach a level of popularity at which point they're not cool anymore despite the fact they haven't changed.

I still don't get this. Why are you guys complaining about the ADV boxsets? You're not even giving any reasons. Can't quite complain about stuff if you can't back it up. ADV is thinking about the fans by making their discs cheaper and easier to afford. If you want extras, buy the individual discs. Not everyone cares about character sketches and interviews with some Japanese storyboard artist.

At least ADV is giving us boxsets, unlike Bandai, who continues to give us brick collections. Ugh. They do have the Vol. 1+box things, but they should do the same for a collection.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

I still don't get this. Why are you guys complaining about the ADV boxsets? You're not even giving any reasons. Can't quite complain about stuff if you can't back it up. ADV is thinking about the fans by making their discs cheaper and easier to afford. If you want extras, buy the individual discs. Not everyone cares about character sketches and interviews with some Japanese storyboard artist.

He's not complaining about the box sets, per se (I think?), moreso about their entire company.

Reused voice actor stock, composite masters, interlaced encodings (of things which have a progressive release in Japan), the touted 5.1 mixed really aren't very good, low quality audio (128kbps vs higher audio used on Region 2 discs), subtitles with bad spelling/grammer, somewhat inconsistient releases of things (Saying you have all of Saint Seiya/Kaleido Star/Super Gals! dubbed or whatever and then only releasing half of it).

I'm also finding it funny how the actual production staff for these things are known to you as "some Japanese storyboard artist". I mostly don't care about ADVs extras, but just because they decided to release some thinpaks because they were downscaling like mad doesn't mean they're always thinking of the fans, doesn't mean they're thinking for us and doesn't mean they're "OMG THE GREATEST! WORSHIPPP"
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:

He's not complaining about the box sets, per se (I think?), moreso about their entire company.

Reused voice actor stock EVERYONE DOES THAT, composite masters, interlaced encodings (of things which have a progressive release in Japan) OKAY, ONLY TECHNO GEEKS NOTICE THAT STUFF, THE AVERAGE ANIME FAN WON'T, the touted 5.1 mixed really aren't very good AGAIN, ONLY TO SOME AUDIO FANATIC, low quality audio (128kbps vs higher audio used on Region 2 discs) UM, NO, subtitles with bad spelling/grammer YOU MUST HAVE VERY BAD GRAMMAR IF YOU BELIEVE THAT, somewhat inconsistient releases of things (Saying you have all of Saint Seiya/Kaleido Star/Super Gals! dubbed or whatever and then only releasing half of it) THAT'S A LICENSING ISSUE WHICH ISN'T ADV'S FAULT.

I'm also finding it funny how the actual production staff for these things are known to you as "some Japanese storyboard artist". I mostly don't care about ADVs extras, but just because they decided to release some thinpaks because they were downscaling like mad doesn't mean they're always thinking of the fans, doesn't mean they're thinking for us and doesn't mean they're "OMG THE GREATEST! WORSHIPPP"

I DIDN'T SAY TO WORSHIP THEM, I JUST SAID THAT IT'S A GOOD IDEA.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well if theres any other company that makes even worse dvd i'd say FUNimation. Damn they're cheap, only three episodes on a dvd that cost my friend $35 (canadian) and the extras were crap!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Reused voice actor stock EVERYONE DOES THAT

So? It shouldn't be a rule that each show should sound the same as the next.

Quote:
, composite masters, interlaced encodings (of things which have a progressive release in Japan) OKAY, ONLY TECHNO GEEKS NOTICE THAT STUFF, THE AVERAGE ANIME FAN WON'T

Quickly, so lets release substandard products because our fans are idiots that can't appreciate decent things?

Quote:
, the touted 5.1 mixed really aren't very good AGAIN, ONLY TO SOME AUDIO FANATIC, low quality audio (128kbps vs higher audio used on Region 2 discs) UM, NO

The point I made above, and a bit more. You've never seen the actual bitrate of most of the audio tracks on these DVDs have you? You've also never heard any of them compared to other DVDs, have you?

Just because you're not willing to pay for something of a higher quality doesn't mean everyone else shouldnt be. Once High-definition stuff becomes more mainstream/commonplace, you'll see the bullshit ADV have pulled on you.

Quote:
, subtitles with bad spelling/grammer YOU MUST HAVE VERY BAD GRAMMAR IF YOU BELIEVE THAT,

"Oh bother!"

If not, check out the Nadesico movie, which they had years to perfect, and yet the subtitle script is still fairly bad.

Quote:
somewhat inconsistient releases of things (Saying you have all of Saint Seiya/Kaleido Star/Super Gals! dubbed or whatever and then only releasing half of it) THAT'S A LICENSING ISSUE WHICH ISN'T ADV'S FAULT.

Bullshit. If ADV do not have an entire show, do not say you have an entire show, don't deceive your consumers.

Quote:
I DIDN'T SAY TO WORSHIP THEM, I JUST SAID THAT IT'S A GOOD IDEA.

Jeez, and this "OMG DONT HURT ADV LOOK AT MY AMAZING BOLD POWARRSS" isn't?

Companies are not perfect. DVDs are not perfect. Stop having such a giant [expletive] fit whenever anyone talks ill of something and you can't tolerate it, especially when you only have "OMG NO NO ONE CARES ONLY GEEKS CARE SHUT UP" you condescening maggot.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Well if theres any other company that makes even worse dvd i'd say FUNimation. Damn they're cheap, only three episodes on a dvd that cost my friend $35 (canadian) and the extras were crap!

FUNimantion no longer dose that.

Look at Samurai 7 and Full Metal Alcimist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2