• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Unauthorized Manga Translation Site Pulls Shonen Jump, Viz Titles

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
I can't help but giggle at the people who claim that fan scanlations are all the "true translations" for every manga illegally available online.

Not "true translations" but "as close as to the original they can be."

I highly doubt this, this, and especially this.

I really doubt the Japanese translations are like that and scanlations are sure in hell better than this crap Viz puts out.

Oh yes yes, I already know about your butt hurting over Reborn. I never once stated that Viz was perfect, but I will take their legal releases over illegal scans because I'd like to support the industry and the creators. Reading illegal scans gives nothing back to the manga-ka.

And you do know that fan translations are just as guilty for changing things too, right? The amount of heavy duty swearing I've seen in fan translations for things like Naruto and Bleach is rather astonishing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
I can't help but giggle at the people who claim that fan scanlations are all the "true translations" for every manga illegally available online.

Not "true translations" but "as close as to the original they can be."

I highly doubt this, this, and especially this.

I really doubt the Japanese translations are like that and scanlations are sure in hell better than this crap Viz puts out.

Oh yes yes, I already know about your butt hurting over Reborn. I never once stated that Viz was perfect, but I will take their legal releases over illegal scans.

"Perfect" is putting it mildly. Viz is a professional company, but it does not act like one. I expect a professional company to translate as true as they can to the original manga, not make up silly words and dialogue. People don't take this stuff for their anime, why should we have to take it for our manga? A professional company should be close to "perfect" if they want to compete against illegal scanlations.

You're not looking at the big picture. Viz is basically saying with translations like this "This is good enough for you, take it or leave it."

I'm pretty sure if this was happening to the Anime, people wouldn't stand for it. Look at the Vampire Bund incident. So why aren't people standing up for our manga, huh?
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
[quote="Rukiia"][quote="Kazemon15"]
Rukiia wrote:

And you do know that fan translations are just as guilty for changing things too, right? The amount of heavy duty swearing I've seen in fan translations for things like Naruto and Bleach is rather astonishing.

OMG that is so true. I sadly started reading some One Piece scans last year for a bit since I got caught up with the graphic novels and 54 was the current on in English. I couldn't even count the number of times Luffy and other characters kept using the F word in the White Beard War. The fact that any translator thinks Luffy would say the F word or the Japanese equivalent is not only sad but shows poor translating skills. That would be like if in some Superman comic a English translator read Superman saying "I'M GOING TO MAKE YOU REGRET THE DAY YOU WERE EVER BORN!!" into "I'M GOING TO F@#%ING KILL YOU!!"
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
You know what; let's put this in another, more obvious way.

I just subscribed to Yen Plus, I understand with only Black Butler and Soul Eater Not to deal with its less bothersome. But that's Hatchette geting my money whilst Viz has to spin on it.

People can spin the "They're going as fast as they can to get the rights" argument all they want. It's not fast enough, my time and money is limited and if they can't get something as downright easy as regions (given they practically own the original rights anyway so it's not like we're talking pit of a hundred trails here) and Hatchette can (when they need to negotiate with, at least three publishers) then that's a problem and it's one they need to sort soon less they come off as incompetent.

I repeat my statement; I want to support these endeavours and I will providing Viz gives me the chance to do so. If they do not, I will take the alternative that suits me best.
Norbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:24 am Reply with quote
I got really excited when I got my iPad. I'll just download the Viz app and get manga directly from them. What!!! Not available to my area!!! I live in Australia, not Tinbuk2!!!
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
My understanding is that Viz has been told not to use swear words because Oda sees One Piece as an all ages manga in Japan & elsewhere https://twitter.com/alexiskjump/status/170253368634257408

So any translations with the Fword are against Shueisha & the authors intentions.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't Funi's dub use swears?
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
... (given they practically own the original rights anyway so it's not like we're talking pit of a hundred trails here) ....

In what sense do they "practically own the original rights anyway"? You are saying that the manga-ka for, eg, One Piece and Naruto have such a weak bargaining position when negotiating international digital distribution rights that Viz says jump and they say, "Hai! How High?"
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
... (given they practically own the original rights anyway so it's not like we're talking pit of a hundred trails here) ....

In what sense do they "practically own the original rights anyway"? You are saying that the manga-ka for, eg, One Piece and Naruto have such a weak bargaining position when negotiating international digital distribution rights that Viz says jump and they say, "Hai! How High?"

Well someone has to jump or else all these pirates are just soaring overhead. They are the only thing standing in their own way, after all.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Well someone has to jump or else all these pirates are just soaring overhead. They are the only thing standing in their own way, after all.

But rights in manga tend to be unbundled. I'm pleasantly surprised they were able to get six mangaka of major Shonen Jump titles to agree to the digital distribution rights for North America. Getting that done must have been like herding cats.

And of course, how you herd cats by holding up a nice smelly piece of bologna. If SJAlpha boosts the incomes of the manga-ka, that will be the best argument that Viz can make to other manga-ka to sign up, and for the manga-ka that do sign up to sign over broader English language digital distribution rights ~ if not global, then at least a broader region.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the complaints against Viz, excluding the stuff about Reborn, really don't seem that valid to me. Or at least the points that are are being held up as rallying cries for a group of people who really are just looking for excuses not to buy the product. And I acknowledge there is a whole mess of issues and realties of piracy that I am not addressing right now, but I am going to address a reality that people who just read scanlations are making themselves blind to.

You're comparing a professional translation, which yes these are in fact professional translations, yes even Reborn, because they are done by professionals. Does that mean you have to like them, or that they are even good, oh hell no. And in the case of Reborn, are the scans better then the professional product? Yes, I am not saying that they aren't. I am saying that they are the professional release and that buying them supports the original artist who is creating a series that you love. That is not something that scans do.

Viz has always stated that their intent is to localize the manga they bring over for the audience they are trying to sell to. Yes that includes editing and not using swear words. How dare they do that to the product, what gives them that right? Well the Japanese licenser did, and usually with the author's consent. Many mangaka aren't holding up their works as this sacred piece that can not be touched, it's a product that they are putting out, and it's the fans who are the ones so upset that their very specific demands aren't being met. Well maybe I shouldn't say fans, because I do consider being a fan of something to mean that you are supporting the title in some form,

Anyone who replies with:
“I buy the Japanese Releases!” Well good for you, however you are a very, very small number of people who read scans.
or
“I read scans and then buy the English release!” Also good for you, (and also for quite some time included myself in that category), but again you are an out-lier in the people who read scans. But I'm not talking about you, stop acting like you're every person who reads scanlations of the series.

Kazemon15 wrote:

A professional company should be close to "perfect" if they want to compete against illegal scanlations.

You're not looking at the big picture. Viz is basically saying with translations like this "This is good enough for you, take it or leave it."

Actually what they are saying is: We have paid the publishers and legally licensed the rights to these titles. We are going to pay translators actual fees to translate them. We're going to publish them and make them commercially available and pay royalties to the the Japanese companies and the original creator.
A professional company should not have to be “perfect” to compete with piracy. Why? Because the pirates are always in the wrong. No, whatever very specific instance that you have which could make a valid argument about but which you are going to use as a basis to make broad statements does not count. A professional company should do its hardest to make a quality product. (And yes I acknowledge Reborn was a very bad product) But that doesn't that just because it does not meet your standards that you set out that stealing it is the right alternative. Not buying it? Sure, you don't have to buy anything you don't want. But you do want it, and are refusing to buy it, so you're instead planning on just stealing it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:

OMG that is so true. I sadly started reading some One Piece scans last year for a bit since I got caught up with the graphic novels and 54 was the current on in English. I couldn't even count the number of times Luffy and other characters kept using the F word in the White Beard War. The fact that any translator thinks Luffy would say the F word or the Japanese equivalent is not only sad but shows poor translating skills. That would be like if in some Superman comic a English translator read Superman saying "I'M GOING TO MAKE YOU REGRET THE DAY YOU WERE EVER BORN!!" into "I'M GOING TO F@#%ING KILL YOU!!"

They still do that? I remember someone once complaining that in the Media Blaster dub that Yahiko and Sanosuke no longer hate each other because they had previously watched the series through one of those old fansubs that included swears in an attempt to make the product look more "mature".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Not for One Piece AFAIK.

Charred Knight wrote:
I remember someone once complaining that in the Media Blaster dub that Yahiko and Sanosuke no longer hate each other because they had previously watched the series through one of those old fansubs that included swears in an attempt to make the product look more "mature".

Haha, the ol' Hecto VHS fansubs! People always got 'em because they're consistently the first ones to release 'em. Laughing
(There's a lesson there - always be the first ones, and people will believe what you write.)
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
"Perfect" is putting it mildly. Viz is a professional company, but it does not act like one. I expect a professional company to translate as true as they can to the original manga, not make up silly words and dialogue. People don't take this stuff for their anime, why should we have to take it for our manga? A professional company should be close to "perfect" if they want to compete against illegal scanlations.

Compete against illegal scanlations? Dude....illegal scanlations are illegal for a reason....they are unauthorized scans. Why does Viz need to compete against thieves? And you are really only basing Viz's translations on just one series where they admitfully did a poor job on. Yet one of out the hundreds of titles they licensed that does not mean they are overall bad at translating. From my understanding they have different people translating each series.

Kazemon15 wrote:

And fan scans aren't guilty of having a "this translation is good enough" attitude?

Kazemon15 wrote:
I'm pretty sure if this was happening to the Anime, people wouldn't stand for it. Look at the Vampire Bund incident. So why aren't people standing up for our manga, huh?

I didn't really care about that whole controversy with DitVB. And out of the 500 manga books I own I've been quite happy with them 99% of the time. And sure, Anime wise, Funimation slightly mistranslates something but you know....who bloody well cares? If you know Japanese then you know what they are actually saying. And if you don't know Japanese then you wouldn't even notice or care. Or if you are a dub watcher then you wouldn't even know that they changed the translation. To me, as long as the story and character's personalities are left alone I am not going to complain about a couple of translation screw ups.

"Purists" really are the most funniest bunch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
My understanding is that Viz has been told not to use swear words because Oda sees One Piece as an all ages manga in Japan & elsewhere https://twitter.com/alexiskjump/status/170253368634257408

So any translations with the Fword are against Shueisha & the authors intentions.

That sounds about right. I think the scan translators are just taking things way out of proportion. Daizenshuu did a thing about that with dragon ball z fan subs can you can see how the fan sub translators twist things around to make the anime or manga seem like it is for older people.

http://www.daizex.com/guides/rumors/fansub_dialogue.shtml

TitanXL wrote:

Yes but Oda doesn't have as much power over the anime. In an SBS someone mentioned once how in the manga they are called the strawhats while in the anime they are called the strawhats, the strawhat pirates, luffy pirates, or the strawhat luffy pirates. Oda said he doesn't care what they are called in the anime and thinks the strawhats are just fine to him. So taking that with a grain of salt I would say Oda is more protective of the manga. As for funi yes they have swears but I get the feeling that is because after the whole 4kids thing they want people to know it is not just some show aimed a 5 year olds. Besides in the Japanese version Sanji says Kusou a lot and that could be translated as darn, dang, crud, damn, crap, or shit. In the 4kids version he said crud, viz has him say crap, funi has him say crap in english and damn in the subs, while the fan subs always have him say shit.

Charred Knight wrote:
Ichigo77 wrote:

They still do that? I remember someone once complaining that in the Media Blaster dub that Yahiko and Sanosuke no longer hate each other because they had previously watched the series through one of those old fansubs that included swears in an attempt to make the product look more "mature".

Well One Piece is really the first scan and fan sub I have ever watched but from bits of other stuff I have seen and what others have told me its something fan subbers have always done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11