• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Recomends

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KusoGaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:43 am Reply with quote
I am not a fan of anime nor am I a fan of Manga but some of it I really like. Go figure. The only manga I have liked so far is Battle Angel Alita, Blade of The Imortal, and Gantz(which I got addicted to while living in Japan because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about). Anyway I cant stand the humor they put in manga nor the over exagerated emotion. I like a more adult manga like the ones listed above. I was just wondering if anyone has any good recomends. I know about Berserk or whatever that is called and I plan on reading it but I was wondering if there is something else. Thanks peeps. Wink Also does anyone know a good online store to get manga from cheep?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:54 am Reply with quote
From the three you've listed I've got a conclusion: you like

- Fantasy / sci-fi background
- Not too much romance or comedy
- Blood and gore
- Heavy burden on main character's shoulders
- Minimal fan service

Out of those criteria and my personal experience, I'd like to recommend Five Star Stories, Ghost in the Shell, and Vagabond.

And how could you miss Nausicaa? It has less blood and gore, yet it's an epic saga with a huge world setting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:09 am Reply with quote
I say, finish Blade of the Immortal first (since it's expensive, and 15 volumes, so it'll keep you going a while) and then, I dunno...

Try Lone Wolf and Cub and Samurai Executioner.
KusoGaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the recomends. I forgot I read ghost in the shell a long time ago. It was a big volume and I dont know if they have come out with any others. I saw that naussica (sp?) in a movie so I dont know if the manga would be worth it. I thought about vagabond but it is basically the book musashi by eji yoshikawa which I have already read. Im not familiar with the five star so Ill look that up and also I have heard of the lone wolf and cub so Ill look that up along with the other recomend. Thanks guys. Also do you know a good online store? I have seen alot but they really dont save you any money. Crying or Very sad
DarkWarLord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I know a GREAT online store, it's called http://www.ecampus.com/ The prices are good and you get free shipping on all orders above $49.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
KusoGaki wrote:
I saw that naussica (sp?) in a movie so I don't know if the manga would be worth it.

Way, way, waaay better than its anime counterpart, albeit the movie is and always has been a masterpiece.

Haven't you noticed my avatar?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
KusoGaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
ha ha I didn't notice your avatar until you said that. Nice. Also that ecampus.com was awsome! Very cheep and I ordered $50 worth of books so I got free shipping. I finished out my alita and my last blade of the immortal and got one berserk book and a nausica book. Thanks guys!
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Let me see, Planetes is a fantastic sci-fi book with well written character and Black and White is a can't miss and also touching. But you should seriously check out Vagabond, the art is very detailed that created a lively world, something you can't get from the Musashi books. However, it does move faster than the books, so that might be a drawback.
KusoGaki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote
Ill check those out. When I said musashi I didn't mean a manga. It is a huge single book writen by eiji Yoshikawa. The manga was taken from this book. Since I already know the story I had drawback about reading the manga.
water_Demon_girl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Try Inuyasha it has blood and gore. Also try Wolf's Rain too. I think you might like it. Give it a try.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
A great online store for manga is http://www.justmanga.com. All their manga is about 20% off. Their service is great too!
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Or you could just try www.amazon.com
(X-Files box sets just dropped $25 dollars!)
RainOfSteel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
KusoGaki wrote:
I saw that naussica (sp?) in a movie so I don't know if the manga would be worth it.

Way, way, waaay better than its anime counterpart, albeit the movie is and always has been a masterpiece.

Haven't you noticed my avatar?

Ah, someone who shares my opinion on the subject. Very Happy

This topic has proven quite useful to me, as apparently my tastes nearly coincide with the OP's, except that I have read most everything in the examples given that I want to and/or appreciate the art style of, except for Planetes. I'm looking for something to pick up at the moment, and now I'll give that one a chance.

To the OP, I would like to say that if you like:

Battle Angle Alita
Ghost in the Shell
Nausicaa

Then you might also like:

Gunslinger Girl (Vols 1-3 currently available.)
Fuyu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
if you don't mind yaoi/slash then count cain/earl cain is good, and also yami no matsuei, adn angel santuary? all gory
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
For manga (since this is the manga forum Razz) perhaps try out Battle Royale...it deserves it's shrink wrap and has an interesting plot too. If you've ever read Lord of the Flies, it's like that sort of, except the kids are SUPPOSED to kill each other.

It's a bit on the long side, but worth checking out, if you can handle the gore (I couldn't really, so I actually have only read the first volume...it's very interesting though).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1