• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Second chance

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DVDaholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
It's easy to quickly judge an anime series and decide not to like it before giving it a real chance. I know that for me, sometimes I'm just not in the right mood the first time I watch it, only to find I really like it later on!

I'm just wondering how many of you have ended up liking a series that you initially didn't like, after giving it a second chance? And what was the series (or movie)?
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
TEXHNOLYZE, definately

I saw it late at night at first, so it was just hard to enjoy it considering it's somewhat slow... and I was sleepy, so that's not a good combo
Rozzer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
TEXHNOLYZE, definately

I saw it late at night at first, so it was just hard to enjoy it considering it's somewhat slow... and I was sleepy, so that's not a good combo

The first episode of this series drove me crazy cause they barely had ANY dialogue in it... I thought it might be a silent series, but around the end it finally had some conversation between the main characters. Took me two times to watch the first DVD to honestly say I really do enjoy this series.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Happened to me a few times, like in Da Capo 1st Season, GITS, Witch Hunter Robin, TEXNOLYZE, etc. Those anime that seems boring at the beginning but if you watch to the end, you'll find out that you're entirely wrong.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Well the First few eps of Trigun rubbed me the wrong way. I was especially caught off guard by the animation but afterwards i gave it another chance and loved it.
Furuba_Girl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Let's see.. I didn't like 'Nadia:The Secret of Blue Water' at first. I guess I didn't really pay much attention and I just judged the drawings right away and decided I didn't like it. Now I'm into it and I think it's actually pretty good after watching a few episodes when I got really bored.So now I plan to watch the rest of the series. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Last Exile! The first time i saw the first episode i hated it and decided it was boring. ( I had a headache, so I guess I related the pain with the show lol). Anyways, I started watching it when they gave it on TechTV and now it's one of my absolute favorites.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really like Kino's Journey and HATED dubbed Duel Masters at first. Apparently both shows improved a lot (although I dislike the dub of the most recent season of DM).

Now if this thread allows discussion about shows you liked at first but eventually came to dislike, I'd mention Wolf's Rain. Yes, it had a good plot, great music, all that jazz, and that was enough to draw me in for about 6 episodes or so, but after the shock wore off from that stuff, the flatness of the characters in what was supposed to be a character-oriented drama became glaringly apparent. Most animes start off with minimal character development and slowly develop over time but Wolf's Rain was painful to watch due to a lack of character development not just at the beginning, but in the middle and end as well. And let us not discuss how craptacular the OAV was...
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell... and... I think that's it. I was kinda disappointed when I got the first DVD, but as soon as I watched the 3rd DVD (I got special editions DVDs 1-3 on Christmas) I was hooked and fell in love with the story line. Now I can't wait for the 2nd season to come out Anime smile

But, a series I have come to dislike would be InuYasha. I mean, the first three seasons were fine, but then it just got so repetative that I wanted to pull my hair out. I love the characters... well, most of them, but the story really drags too much.
Efan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Lain, I watched the first ep and there was like NO meaning in it what so ever, i thought it was like one of those really old movies with no sound, then i watched the second ep and it picked up a bit, i havn't watched anymore of it i think i should give it a second chance.

I give up on alot of anime if they don't interest me right away, and i usulay don't give them a second chance because i move onto different ones that do interest me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1