• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Lists X-Men, Iron Man Anime DVD Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I finally get to say this:

No sub, no sale.

Darn, I lost the chance to say this. I've been stalled on both Mobile Suit Gundam at Crunchyroll and Now & Then, Here & There at Netflix, both dubbed, for the longest time.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Many western fans still buy even sight-unseen previously foreign-released videos, like what happened with other western properties

jsieczkar wrote:
Marvel has two fan bases now one that is a fan of Marvel Studios and one that is a fan Marvel Publishing who will at times support Marvel Studios. In this case I think the anime series will do well with the Studio fans but not the Publishing fans. Most of the X-Fans comments I have heard have largely panned the show as being soulless and going through the motions of the story lines. They removed a lot of the meaning of some of the story arcs by removing the political and social commentary of the arcs they used had, which did not sit well with many fans.

Oh, I believe it. It's a Marvel work, so that alone increases its chances. However, there's a few factors working against its success:

1) It's anime (despite it not being marketed as such); a medium that has experienced declining sales for the last maybe 8 years or so. This is possibly the weakest factor, though.

2) It's practically unknown among most American fans of animation (hard core Marvel fanatics and moderate/casual anime, alike). The show had a airing on a satellite channel (a rather popular one, though). So, many households may not have it in their cable or satellite packages. (The "Marvel Anime" project did receive a fair amount of online promotion, however; WIRED and MTV, just to name a couple.)

3) It's dub-only. So that alienates, I would imagine, half or the majority of the fans who actually know this exists, or are willing to purchase it, even after seeing it on TV. Because most American animation fans aren't big anime fans. And, its story appears to be more complexly-written and mature than every one of its American predecessors in the X-Men universe, spanning back to the 1960s. Not to generalize, but I think it's safe to say that most Cartoon fans want typical, hokey and easily accessible Good vs Evil super battle plots.

agila61 wrote:
I've been stalled on both Mobile Suit Gundam at Crunchyroll and Now & Then, Here & There at Netflix, both dubbed, for the longest time.

Which is exactly why I haven't watched it on Hulu (Now and Then, Here and There), as of yet; it's dub-only Mad
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Bamble wrote:
WTK wrote:
Both English 5.1 and Japanese 5.1 audio tracks are included, plus closed captions.

If ever there was a textbook example of not jumping to conclusions and instead waiting for officially-solicited details, this is it.

Now comes the next question, are those "closed captions" subs for the Japanese dialogue or dubtitles like on their Blood+ DVDs?
I've never heard "closed caption" used to describe a subtitle for a foreign language. The real question is whether there'll be a faithful subtitle track in addition to the dubtitle.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Not to generalize, but I think it's safe to say that most Cartoon fans want typical, hokey and easily accessible Good vs Evil super battle plots.

The 90's X-Men wasn't like that. And now we know it's not dub-only.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised guys were mad about the thought of it being dub only. Is it because it's anime? Most American anime fans I know who don't like dubs still say they never want to hear Marvel or DC superheros speaking Japanese ever.
Marcus Carr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
No blu-ray, no sale. Only liked X-Men enough to buy. Iron Man was okay. Wolverine was lame (and had the wrong voice). Blade is just okay so far.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
I'm surprised guys were mad about the thought of it being dub only. Is it because it's anime? Most American anime fans I know who don't like dubs still say they never want to hear Marvel or DC superheros speaking Japanese ever.

Its because the voice acting recorded radio-theater style tends to be better than the voice acting with individual actors recording individual lines in response to a beep count. IOW, its the same reason I normally watch foreign cinema subtitled rather than dubbed when both are available on the disk.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Marcus Carr wrote:
No blu-ray, no sale. Only liked X-Men enough to buy. Iron Man was okay. Wolverine was lame (and had the wrong voice). Blade is just okay so far.

Heh, I've got a decision to make, I want to buy these but I'd most definitely rather have these on blu-ray too, especially X-Men since I really liked the look of that one and what I've seen of Blade (and I liked Wolverine too with Iron Man being the one that was kinda iffy, but I'd probably cave for a BD). I have a feeling I'll cave though even though I'd really prefer BDs for them.

Yeah Wolverine would have been better with the right voice since I liked Kate Higgins as his support character, I'm glad that he at least had his right voice for X-Men, which was my favorite of these so far as I'm also still in the middle of watching Blade.

I'm glad the initial info was wrong and these are atleast getting a full release to please both dub and sub fans, I much prefer proper dual-audio so that both groups get to watch the show they way they want. Also I'm glad to see that info we're apparently getting 5.1 tracks for the dubs. (Actually it says they're both 5.1, that's pretty cool)
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:17 am Reply with quote
These were all horrendous. If I want a good X-Men story I'll read my Astonishing X-Men omnibus not watch this garbage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4