• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese Picture Book

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smutchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
I'm looking for a picture book by a Japanese author, and I'm not sure if it would be considered a manga... Confused However, I saw it in a manga store, so could be.
It's a short story that should help children dealing with grief. The main character is a dog, and the girl he lived with died, so he's very sad.
I think it said on the cover that it won some children's book award. Of course I looked for it in the internet, but I didn't find it... Does anyone know it?
linlinchan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
I'm looking for a picture book by a Japanese author, and I'm not sure if it would be considered a manga... Confused However, I saw it in a manga store, so could be.
It's a short story that should help children dealing with grief. The main character is a dog, and the girl he lived with died, so he's very sad.
I think it said on the cover that it won some children's book award. Of course I looked for it in the internet, but I didn't find it... Does anyone know it?

Oh crap... yes. I picked that book up in a bookstore once, and flipped through it, and remember how sad it was...I can't remember for the life of me what it was called... I do know what you're talking about though...

If I find it, I'll tell you, though... now it's going to bother me too.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:

I'm willing to bet that you're thinking of Kikuta Mariko's Itsudemo aeru ("See you any time I want", published in German as Du bist immer noch bei mir), which tells of a little dog called Shiro, whose mistress Mika dies. It won the Bologna Ragazzi Award for children's fiction.

A related story (and a perennial favourite) is the true story of Hachiko, a dog that used to wait for its master, a Dr. Ueno, at Shibuya station. When he died, in 1925, Hachiko kept on coming, and waiting. This went on every day until 1935, when Hachiko finally died. By this time, the extraordinary loyalty of this dog had caught the public's attention (through a series of newspaper articles), and a bronze statue was erected at Shibuya Station (it's still there today). A festival is held at Shibuya every April, to commemorate Hachiko's loyalty.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
yeah, that sort of thing isn't all that uncommon, actually.

Its really pretty amazing the loyalty and love the dogs have for their people.
At some point, I believe that a dog or cat stops thinking of you as a human or owner or master, but rather as an honorary member of the pack.

And that was amazingly off topic, sorry Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
smutchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

I'm willing to bet that you're thinking of Kikuta Mariko's Itsudemo aeru ("See you any time I want", published in German as Du bist immer noch bei mir), which tells of a little dog called Shiro, whose mistress Mika dies. It won the Bologna Ragazzi Award for children's fiction.

That's it!! Thanks so much!! My mistake was that I was looking for it in English, because I thought it wasn't translated to German yet. And then amazon.de has it... Embarassed Thanks again. Smile
Is there anything you DON'T know??!! Wink
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
That's it!! Thanks so much!! My mistake was that I was looking for it in English, because I thought it wasn't translated to German yet. And then amazon.de has it... Embarassed Thanks again. Smile

You're entirely welcome. Actually, I'm glad you reminded me of it - I am going to get a copy for my kids. Maybe translate it into Danish... I wonder if I could find a publisher...?

smutchi wrote:
Is there anything you DON'T know??!! Wink

Hmm. I don't know. Laughing

Seriously, though, there are subjects that don't interest me - and which I therefore know very little about. But anything that does interest me, automatically leads to my possession of at least a solid base of trivia.

Example: Don't ask me questions about soccer. I have zero interest in that, and correspondingly little knowledge.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1