• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Whisper of the Heart

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Dose anyone know the scoop on the dub? Practically every studio ghibli movie has been released except WOTH. There was a news tidbit on it like 2 years ago stating that the translation was complete "but that there is some sort of unspecified problem with one of the songs." When am I going to see my favorite anime film ever be released in English Sad .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:18 am Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
There was a news tidbit on it like 2 years ago stating that the translation was complete "but that there is some sort of unspecified problem with one of the songs."

One guess as to which song....カントリー・ロード Rolling Eyes

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:21 am Reply with quote
My understanding of the issue with "Country Road" is that, quite understandably, Ghibli only acquired the rights to use the song in Asia. Disney would need to do the same for the USA and other countries before releasing WOTH, and so far have not been willing to pay the (presumably very large) sum being asked.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:05 am Reply with quote
I've got a question: when a song has become the central theme of a movie (not just OP/ED; in the way of "Country Road, Take Me Home" for WotH and "As Time Goes By" for Casablanca) or any other type of entertainment media, how do movie and record companies make a deal?

Speaking of which, whenever a song is mentioned in a manga, there's "JASRAC" code of authorization.

I wonder how they did it with Casablanca. No copyright laws then?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:04 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I wonder how they did it with Casablanca. No copyright laws then?

They would have had to do it exactly the same as now - the maker of the film would either need to negotiate with the copyright holder of the music, or (in the USA at least) contact the Harry Fox Agency, which has acted as a copyright clearing house since 1927.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:59 am Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:

When am I going to see my favorite anime film ever be released in English Sad .

A UK company has apparently listed it for release next year, so it seems the issues (legal and artistic) have been sorted.

Last edited by mrgazpacho on Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
mrgazpacho wrote:
A UK company has apparently listed it for release next year, so it seems the issues (legal and artistic) have been sorted.

These things are country by country though, just because it's sorted in the UK doesn't mean it's sorted in the USA.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was getting released in February as part of the final major "wave" of Ghibli films along with the bilingual, subtitled, widescreen Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle?

Guess that's just a rumour, for now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I thought it was getting released in February as part of the final major "wave" of Ghibli films along with the bilingual, subtitled, widescreen Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle?

Guess that's just a rumour, for now.

To be honest I thought so to... but not sure if what I read a while back was true, I checked the news on ANN and no such article existed. Odd. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1