• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Sues 869 BitTorrent Users Over One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphdash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
zaphdash wrote:
... No doubt it is very broad to consider ad-based streaming the same basic revenue model as DVD sales, but in the sense that both derive revenue from distribution of the finished product, they are the same.

Except, with DVD sales, its the recipient who pays, and they pay for a good, while with broadcast advertising, its someone other than the recipient who pays, and they pay for a service that attracts the attention of a viewer, rather than paying for a good.

I don't see that this distinction makes a single bit of difference. The fact that TV is "free" to viewers, convenient, and has been deeply ingrained over the past sixty or seventy years will work to its advantage, but you already see people who rely on Tivo or download episodes of their favorite shows to bypass advertising. I know lots of people who have canceled or are thinking of canceling their cable because they can download any show they want and now there are websites where they can reliably stream basically any sporting event (which really wasn't the case even two years ago). "I know lots of people" is obviously just anecdotal evidence, but it's basically the same trend that is already playing out on a massive scale with other forms of media. Ad-based broadcast television will probably be around forever, but the ads are going to pull in less and less money as people have more and more ways to watch what they want to watch.

Quote:
Quote:
And the problem here is that there is a competing model of illicit free distribution that undermines any revenue-through-distribution setup.

Except the distribution is not really cost free. When a torrent swarm distributes a file, the bandwidth is paid for by each seeder ~ normally on a flat rate basis, since people paying by the MB rarely seed.

This isn't really relevant either. People pay for their internet access regardless of whether they want to download. For it to matter that bandwidth itself isn't free, you'd have to find someone whose only purpose in paying for internet access is to download. Even then, internet access is very inexpensive. When I was living in the US I had the fastest internet my ISP offered and my total cable bill (which also included TV, HBO, HD channels, etc etc) was a hundred bucks a month. At MSRP that's 3-5 blu-rays; even if you find good deals, that's probably ten DVDs. I could download the 40 or 50 episodes you could fit on ten DVDs overnight. So even if you do pay for internet strictly to download anime, making it a legitimate "cost" to consider, it's like an all you can eat buffet: the more you take, the lower your marginal cost, which with enough sheer volume will approach (although obviously, never actually reach) zero.

Setting that aside for a moment, the other point to consider is that you have to pay for internet whether you want to stream/download licitly or illicitly, so in that respect bandwidth is a sunk cost that has no bearing on the cost/benefit analysis of legal vs. illegal.

Quote:
The Toei action may be based on a theory that quality of service of torrent downloads can be reduced if you make people nervous about reseeding their torrent downloads. The higher the proportion of torrent leechers to torrent seeders, the slower the torrent download rate, and a slower the torrent download rate will shift the users on the margin into some other form of distribution.

When a bootleg streaming site distributes a file, they do not host the file, because there is no way a leech streaming site can afford the bandwidth ~ they upload it (in violation of T&C) to some free video streaming site and then leech that stream. That's why they are "leech" streaming sites. And of course, the reliance on someone else to actually provide the service that they are collective banner and click through advertising dollars for is their Achilles Heel.

Meanwhile, in the US at least, streaming advertising dollars are set to grow faster than hours spent watching streams, so ad rates for streaming ads are set to rise over the next half decade.

The question is not whether legit digital distribution can make enough money to keep the legit digital distribution services in business: we already know the answer to that question is yes. The question is not whether legit digital distribution can achieve rapid revenue growth: we already know the answer to that question is yes.

The question is whether the rapid growth will start to taper off before or after the revenue base has grown to the point of being able to shoulder a large share of the original costs of production. That is a question that will be answered sometime in the next five years.

Quote:
The survival of the media industries will depend on their ability to find revenue independent of distribution, not just through new modes of paid distribution.

So this is the conclusion that I am saying is not yet proven ...

How do you want it "proven"? Do you want to see it actually happen first? Your framing of "the question" is precisely what I said and you acknowledged later in my post. But it's just basic economics here that a lower price will trump a higher price, that a better service will trump a worse service, and especially that a better service at a lower price will trump a worse service at a higher price. If I can go download any episode of the show I want to see in HD for free, or I can go to an SD stream that offers only the past few episodes of a show with ads and/or for paid access, which am I going to choose? I'll grant that my conclusion up there is probably a little more forceful than is currently warranted, but the writing is on the wall here. As long as the internet exists, downloading isn't going away (I'm confident even extremely restrictive legislation like SOPA and PIPA would fail to stem the tide), so media companies will have to find a way to compete on those terms, to make money while literally giving their product away. The only immediately obvious way to do that is through advertising, but people don't like to sit through commercials, so the margin for error here is slim.

Quote:
Quote:
It's true that services like Crunchyroll and iTunes are profitable, but right now they just provide one revenue stream of many, they haven't shown that they have the ability to support entire industries.

... and this is exactly why I say it is not yet proven ... while they have not yet shown the revenue levels that have the ability to support the anime industry, they have shown rates of growth[/] of revenue that, [i]if they continue could indeed provide substantial support for the anime industry.

Whether they will continue at those rates of growth for long enough or not is something that has not happened yet, so an argument that rests on the answer either way is a speculative argument.

Color me skeptical -- there is a ceiling there somewhere that they will hit, which is true of any service or product, but in this case the ceiling is going to be lower as long as there are cost-free avenues to obtain the same product.

Quote:
Quote:
Cost of production and ultimate profitability of the studio are, of course, reflected in licensing fees, but the relationship is not very elastic, so what Crunchyroll pays to license a show right now doesn't reflect what Crunchyroll would have to pay to license a show if the studio had no other revenue streams. Unfortunately those other revenue streams are gradually drying up.

Crunchyroll is, however, an international licensee, and international license income would never be expected to provide a majority of rights income.

This is a fair point, but I'm only using Crunchyroll as a stand-in for streaming services in general.

Quote:
And part of the reason that "income from distribution" is a misleading category is that the anime industry has been its healthiest when its been relying on a portfolio of revenue streams ... even if television advertising revenue, physical media sales, movie ticket sales and subscription cable revenue are all "income from distribution", the variety of source of income still provides a more sustainable business model than relying primarily on a particular type of distribution income.

Of course, that's what we would call not putting all your eggs in one basket. Nonetheless, media industries are seeing their total revenues fall year to year. Like I said before, I don't closely follow the anime industry, so I don't know how it's doing specifically. The movie and music industries have both seen better days.

Quote:
So we would not expect that a viable business model that includes substantial streaming income would rely primarily and streaming income. Rather, if it were 20% merch & character rights, 20% streaming (flash, cellphone app, etc.), 20% ongoing rights (BD transitioning to digital downloads once those are developed) and 20% international, that would be a healthy, diverse, revenue portfolio ~ even if, if the domestic revenue streams are duplicated in miniature in the international rights income, 76% of revenue comes from "distribution" and only 24% from merch and character rights.

But these are just made up numbers that hinge on the assumption that enough people will willingly choose to pay for that which they can get for free.

Quote:
Quote:
... but like I noted above, the music industry continues to make less and less money each year in spite of the advent of pay services like iTunes. ...

Yet musicians have done better than "the music industry", as the classic 1970's relatively low ticket price concerts to promote sales of LP's has turned into low cost recordings to promote sales of relatively high ticket price concerts.

But that is obviously a model that does not translate into the production of complex collaborative works.

And because it doesn't translate, it's more appropriate to discuss "the music industry" as a comparison than "musicians." Going to a live show is an experience that cannot be copied and redistributed endlessly -- but listening to a CD (or watching an episode of One Piece) is not.

Quote:
Quote:
This is a process, and so the old channels haven't completely closed yet -- you can still make money selling television commercials or CDs or movie tickets. But you can't make as much as you used to, and you're going to continue making less and less if you stick to your guns instead of adapting.

And yet, there are musicians that still make money from the sale of vinyl records.

A trend projection in the middle of the transition out of vinyl LP's into CD's would have the vinyl LP market at $0 long ago, but after a long downward trend, the market stopped dropping.

While LPs have experienced an upswing in recent years, they still represent utterly negligible market share. Moreover, their primary strength makes them uniquely immune to the digital revolution: a sense among connoisseurs that they provide a higher level of quality that is unattainable through digital media. The movies/anime comparison would be if people started junking their blu-ray players in favor of film projectors.

Quote:
So projecting a downward trend of the "old channels" does not automatically imply that all of the "old channels" will necessarily go away completely. Sometimes the trend pointing to $0 goes to $0 ... sometimes it doesn't. Projecting a trend is always risky ~ except when you have a trend that obviously cannot be sustained, in which case it is safe to predict that sooner or later the trend will be broken.

Of course, just as I noted above that there's a ceiling, there's also a floor, but the old channels will need to offer something the new ones don't in order to hang around in any form. Some people still like the idea of holding and collecting physical objects, but does physical digital media have any other advantage over a download? Most people prefer not to break the law, but does a paid access or ad-based stream have any other advantage over a free one?

Quote:
Quote:
We can already see how the major American broadcast networks have tried to meet the challenge in establishing hulu -- a free ad-based streaming service (which more recently also offers paid subscriptions). Of course hulu has also had its problems, for instance pulling in 16% less revenue than predicted last year, and it was only a few months ago that the owners decided not to sell the service because they weren't satisfied with the bids they had received.

Yeah, but as far as anime goes, the hulu channels have been almost entirely fresh revenue, because they were for the most part not being shown on broadcast television, so the decline of broadcast television has little negative impact on the anime industry.

Well, I brought up hulu as a streaming service in general, not one that bears on the anime industry specifically. I've never actually tried to watch anime on hulu before, but on Netflix as far as I can tell there's no way to switch audio tracks, so I'd chalk being locked into watching a dub as yet another disadvantage that legitimate streaming has compared to downloading, although this isn't true across the board (maybe not at hulu, obviously not at Crunchyroll, etc).

Quote:
Quote:
Innovative distribution models definitely help to some extent, but it remains to be seen whether iTunes or streaming or what have you can really put an industry on its back like the old models did.

Yes, my argument exactly: it remains to be seen, so an argument that assumes that the current exponential growth rates will top out in the next couple of years and will not continue growing at those rates for the five or so years required is based on evidence that has not yet come in.

Well, the wording may sound like your argument exactly, but what I was really getting at is what I've been saying all along, that the market will favor the higher quality, lower cost option, and so it "remains to be seen" whether the legal alternatives can overcome that -- there is the implication that they will be fighting an uphill battle and so a tacit suggestion that their growth rates will top out. Obviously neither one of us has a crystal ball to see how this all ultimately shakes out, but I don't see this as being an even matchup, in which case it's fair to conclude that there is a favorite and it will probably win.

Quote:
Quote:
I think all things being equal, people would rather act licitly than illicitly, but as long as you're operating against a model of free, high quality distribution of entire libraries (ie every episode of a show, something most streaming sites don't offer), all things are not equal.

And as long as the illicit leech streaming sites cannot offer iOS and Android apps, Roku channels, and the other distribution channels that Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Crackle can offer ... then they cannot compete head to head with legit streaming services for convenience of service.

I don't use Roku so I'm definitely out of my element when I say this but I was under the impression that it was open source and anyone could create a channel on there. I don't really know how Roku works though.

In any case, I agree with you that distribution channels that the media companies can monopolize remain viable money makers. The question is how much money they can realistically make. Streaming to your phone is cool if you're on a road trip or stuck in an airport or something, but given the option, most people are probably gonna choose to watch on a computer screen or, ideally, a television. Plus mobile streaming is where your earlier point about bandwidth being a cost actually does become a concern, except to those shelling out for unlimited data plans.

Quote:
Quote:
Unless media companies can find a way somehow to make money out of replicating the illegal free distribution model, they're going to have to find revenue somewhere else entirely, or their gradual downward slide will continue.

This is a false dichotomy. The illegal free distribution models work on the basis of freeloading bandwidth costs off of somebody else: find a way to force the illegal free distribution models to pay for their bandwidth consumed, and they collapse, since they cannot tap the revenues that legit distribution can tap and they cannot afford to pay for their uncharged distribution.

That is, after all, why Crunchyroll went legit: they had no choice, because they could no longer afford to subsidize the money-losing activity of hosting bootleg video uploads. It was a choice of either go legit, or pull the plug.

It's only a false dichotomy if you can actually "find a way." Bandwidth is a concern for illegal streams, but not so much for illegal downloads, especially via torrents, but even via direct downloads.

Quote:
Quote:
Suing downloaders to recover the revenues you're missing through your own failure to adapt to the evolving technological landscape is like trying to rescue the Titanic with a pail.

Yes, but what does that have to do with this case? You really think they found exactly "Endless 69" torrent seeders? You think that FUNimation really found "L33T" torrent seeders?

They are experimenting. If the joining of the cases under their current claim works, then the lawsuit becomes self-funding, and they can engage in a series of torrent swarm sweeps. If they do, it may be that the seeding rate for the targeted series will drop substantially. If it does, then it will become a tactic that more rights holders will employ. If it doesn't work out, they may decide to scale back their focus on torrent download weeding and focus on some other type of weeds that are infesting their market garden.

That's a lot of if's, and you're ignoring the most important one of all: if this actually curtails downloading in any significant way, it'll be the first time legal action against a handful of downloaders has actually had that effect.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
As already noted by zaphdash, the seeding is illegal (and has been found to be illegal multiple times)...

No, it has not. But I digress. When someone like you refuses to accept facts it's pointless to try and educate.

Reminder: the company suing those 869 users made record revenue last year.

Puts the whole "sky is falling" rhetoric you regurgitate into a realistic perspective.

Quite a bit of your rhetoric can be disputed:
"Fans subs cause a 2% - 10% loss": PMMM not only was fan subbed, but people are buying singles priced higher than the market norm.

"Streaming sites aren't profitable": TV Tokyo says otherwise.

While I will accept some sites do fail, the reasons have nothing to do with piracy but were attributed to licensing costs and lack of visitation.

The worst part about your position: none of it carries an ounce of fact to back it up. None of it. When this happens, it's called rhetoric.

The fact anime has a market growth in online distribution shows, without doubt, there's a very large market for it. Much larger than the market of plastic disks.

Instead of whining about those people using fan sub sites, whine at the companies who make it difficult to provide them with a reason to visit their site.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:

That's a lot of if's, and you're ignoring the most important one of all: if this actually curtails downloading in any significant way, it'll be the first time legal action against a handful of downloaders has actually had that effect.

Such action would likely push people more towards the less efficient encrypted options and towards developing more private trackers.

With more development effort placed on the encrypted options those could be made as easy to use as the existing torrent programs.

Unfortunately this would mean inadvertently pushing people to help distribute undesirable material due to how those services work.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
And the problem here is that there is a competing model of illicit free distribution that undermines any revenue-through-distribution setup.

Except the distribution is not really cost free. When a torrent swarm distributes a file, the bandwidth is paid for by each seeder ~ normally on a flat rate basis, since people paying by the MB rarely seed.

This isn't really relevant either. People pay for their internet access regardless of whether they want to download.

The question is, where is "here". For the "illegal filesharing takes over all market segments" doomsday scenario, "here" has to be every market segment. That includes, eg, people whose internet access is a cellphone data plan or a mobile hotspot. And while fixed landline internet connections are largely flatrate with no overages, caps, or slowdowns past a certain usage rate ... though they commonly have de-facto peak time overloading slowdowns ... mobile plans are shot through with them.

And of course it is in the ISP's interest to throttle down on cooperative filesharing during peak times, which can easily include degrading upload speeds from IP addresses that are engaging in heavy upload activity during peak times.

Quote:
For it to matter that bandwidth itself isn't free, you'd have to find someone whose only purpose in paying for internet access is to download. Even then, internet access is very inexpensive. When I was living in the US I had the fastest internet my ISP offered and my total cable bill (which also included TV, HBO, HD channels, etc etc) was a hundred bucks a month. At MSRP that's 3-5 blu-rays; even if you find good deals, that's probably ten DVDs.

I could download the 40 or 50 episodes you could fit on ten DVDs overnight. So even if you do pay for internet strictly to download anime, making it a legitimate "cost" to consider, it's like an all you can eat buffet: the more you take, the lower your marginal cost, which with enough sheer volume will approach (although obviously, never actually reach) zero.

I do not see you as describing the entire market here: I see you describing one market segment. And a viable business model does not depend on whether or not it taps all market segments, but whether it taps enough market segments to survive.

For example, compared to just plopping down on the bed, turning on the TV, and watching a movie on Netflix or an episode on Crunchyroll, what you describe above seems to be a bit of a PITA. I don't want to occupy the family computer with downloads, I certainly don't want a bunch of downloads taking up disk space on the family computer, and I definitely do not want to leave the family computer on overnight.

Quote:
Setting that aside for a moment, the other point to consider is that you have to pay for internet whether you want to stream/download licitly or illicitly, so in that respect bandwidth is a sunk cost that has no bearing on the cost/benefit analysis of legal vs. illegal.

I take it you have not shopped for cellphone data plans recently.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The survival of the media industries will depend on their ability to find revenue independent of distribution, not just through new modes of paid distribution.

So this is the conclusion that I am saying is not yet proven ...

How do you want it "proven"? Do you want to see it actually happen first?

I mean, evidence provided in support of the claim that the survival of the particular anime media industry depends on their ability to find revenue independent of distribution, over and above the substantial revenue independent of "distribution" that they already find.

So far we see growing revenues from various new forms of digital distribution. Your argument rests on there being some ceiling on that revenue growth that will fall short of what the industry needs to survive. So, some evidence of where that ceiling is likely to be and why it is insufficient to assist in the survival of the industry would be called for.

zaphdash wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Yes, but what does that have to do with this case? You really think they found exactly "Endless 69" torrent seeders? You think that FUNimation really found "L33T" torrent seeders?

They are experimenting. If the joining of the cases under their current claim works, then the lawsuit becomes self-funding, and they can engage in a series of torrent swarm sweeps. If they do, it may be that the seeding rate for the targeted series will drop substantially. If it does, then it will become a tactic that more rights holders will employ. If it doesn't work out, they may decide to scale back their focus on torrent download weeding and focus on some other type of weeds that are infesting their market garden.

Damn right its a lot of ifs, but bear in mind that I have repeatedly argued that chasing down torrent crossloaders does not seem to be a very promising strategy. Its good for the attorneys, sure, but whether its a value for money strategy for the copyright rights holders is a lot more dubious. Its all the ifs that make me skeptical.

However, we do not yet have the information to rule out that it might prove to be a useful tool in the toolkit.

As to what effect a single legal action against a handful of downloaders has ~ note that the hope in this business strategy is that it becomes a self-sustaining process of a series of sweeps.

And working out whether these suits are having any effect now is an intrinsically hard thing to establish, because doing valid qualitative research on illegal behavior is tricky. You cannot tell just from the rate of growth of bootleg filesharing, since you would need to compare it to the rate of growth in the absence of these suits, and we don't have an effective laboratory to run two different United States histories, one with the hundreds of these cases going on, and one without.

But, again, its a lot easier to take effective action to reduce the quality of service of leech streaming sites than it is to pursue this bittorrent swarm lawsuit strategy to try to reduce the quality of service of bittorrent swarms: rather than hire some expensive attorneys and engaging in expensive legal action and hoping to cover the costs out of defendant settlements or convictions, you'd need to retain the services of a modestly competent sed script writer for one or two days a month, and have an office assistant run the scripts, write up the C&D letters for the company lawyer's signature, and track the takedowns.

Indeed, since you harvest such a wide range of series, multiple rights owners could share the cost of a single office assistant to run those scripts and send off each rights holders results to the appropriate person to issue the C&D letter.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
"Streaming sites aren't profitable": TV Tokyo says otherwise.

If you are just going to lie about what I claimed, what is the point of talking with you? I said, answering zaphdash (Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:58 pm, emphasis added):
agila61 wrote:
Now, at the level of the streaming service, its too late to argue whether or not streaming can be profitable, since Crunchyroll's ad-supported streaming as self-funding advertisement for subscription streaming has proven to be a profitable model once you pass a threshold level of subscribers. What is not yet proven is whether it can generate sufficient income, both in Japan and overseas, to take over the role that Japanese broadcast advertising revenue and international narrowcoast subscription and advertising revenue once played.

Nobody can honestly describe that as "Streaming sites aren't profitable".

What I don't get is why lie about what I said when its right there one page back? So it seems most likely to be an unintended lie: a failure to read what is in front of you as it is written.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
agila61 wrote:
As already noted by zaphdash, the seeding is illegal (and has been found to be illegal multiple times)...

No, it has not. But I digress. When someone like you refuses to accept facts it's pointless to try and educate.

Given the fact that you tell me that I have said the exact opposite of what I actually said, you will of course understand that I want you to provide a direct quote from a legal source to back that claim up. According to the Texas Attorney Blog, a copyright infringement defendent firm, in their advice what to do when you get a letter from a plaintiff from one of the bootlegs with a thousand dollar claim regarding your torrent upload, any of the following would incriminate you:
Texas_Attorney_Blog wrote:
When the defendant tries to negotiate his settlement on his own, the likelihood is that he will probably say something incriminating about his case. (For example, not knowing the case law, he may say, “it wasn’t me; it was probably my son — he uses the internet all the time; I keep telling him not to watch that porn,” or “I let my neighbor / son / guest / roommate use my internet,” or “I didn’t realize it was illegal to download — I thought it was only illegal to upload!” etc.)

The same blog also clears up why Toei filed in DC: there are judges in DC that are good judges to have in the initial phase of discovery, which is the phase that the case is in according to the story: What is going on with the District of Columbia (DC) bittorrent cases?. Not all of them are, and of course not all cases are equally well constructed: it seems to be quite critical in these cases to get the joinder down right.

The upshot is that IANDL ~ I Aint No Damn Lawyer ~ as I have stressed many times ~ but you obviously are not a lawyer either, so rather than play lawyer on the internet, why don't you actually go find the actual lawyers on the internet before you go spreading misinformation that torrent uploading is legal, which can cost people thousands of dollars in settlement costs if they act upon it?

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
zaphdash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
As to what effect a single legal action against a handful of downloaders has ~ note that the hope in this business strategy is that it becomes a self-sustaining process of a series of sweeps.

And working out whether these suits are having any effect now is an intrinsically hard thing to establish, because doing valid qualitative research on illegal behavior is tricky. You cannot tell just from the rate of growth of bootleg filesharing, since you would need to compare it to the rate of growth in the absence of these suits, and we don't have an effective laboratory to run two different United States histories, one with the hundreds of these cases going on, and one without.

It's impossible to prove a counterfactual, ie how much people would download in the absence of lawsuits, but if the goal of the media companies is to end illegal downloads, the lawsuits have clearly failed. If there were some way to show that legal action retarded the growth rate of filesharing, that would be evidence that it wasn't completely ineffective, but the mere fact that filesharing is growing shows that it's been quite far from effective enough.

Quote:
The upshot is that IANDL ~ I Aint No Damn Lawyer ~ as I have stressed many times ~ but you obviously are not a lawyer either, so rather than play lawyer on the internet, why don't you actually go find the actual lawyers on the internet before you go spreading misinformation that torrent uploading is legal, which can cost people thousands of dollars in settlement costs if they act upon it?

I'm not a practicing lawyer but I've been through law school and can tell you without a shred of doubt that seeding a torrent for a copyright-protected work is illegal and can subject you to both criminal and civil penalties. Mesonoxian Eve's argument otherwise is downright puzzling. What's at issue here is not the (il)legality of the act of seeding, it is entirely a question of civil procedure. You cannot join defendants under a single cause of action unless they acted together to give rise to that cause of action. If Toei wants to file 869 separate lawsuits, there is no legal obstacle to doing so. The question is whether they can save themselves a lot of time and expense by suing the 869 downloaders all at once.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
It's impossible to prove a counterfactual, ie how much people would download in the absence of lawsuits, ...

In the sense of a mathematical proof, sure, but its possible to collect evidence that indicates how different people react to different circumstances, and if enough evidence is collected to analyse the data for tendencies.

Those are more often statistical "1 time in 20 / 1 time in 100 this data would be seen even though the trend actually goes the opposite way" evidence rather than proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.

However, that becomes more difficult to do for illicit activity. And the kinds of claims that can be backed up by that kind of evidence do not tend to be as simplistic and sweeping as the kinds of claims the demand counterfactual evidence to back them up.

Quote:
... but if the goal of the media companies is to end illegal downloads, the lawsuits have clearly failed.

Yes, if they have a silly goal, they will fail to achieve it.

I haven't seen any evidence presented that Toei has that particular goal. I know that the MPAA and RIAA proclaim that as a goal, but its not clear to me whether they seriously believe that its possible or whether its a apple pie and motherhood statement.

Quote:
Well, the wording may sound like your argument exactly, but what I was really getting at is what I've been saying all along, that the market will favor the higher quality, lower cost option, and so it "remains to be seen" whether the legal alternatives can overcome that.

But the illegal downloads are not the higher quality, lower cost options for every segment of the market today, so its not valid to assume that illicit distribution has the inside track in every market segment today. Therefore, its an open question.

Quality is, after all, far more than just effective video resolution ~ it includes convenience and accessibility, and there are a number of settings where current legit digital distribution is more convenient and accessible today.

The fact that Crunchyroll subscriptions doubled in about a year and a half would seem to demonstrate that its not every market segment that accepts the pain in the ass of chasing down torrents, torrent downloading and copying files from one device to another, and converting files from one format to another for your various digital devices as the highest quality option. Indeed, if every market segment accepted the torrent downloading as the overall highest quality of service combined with least cost, then a streaming site like Crunchyroll would never have been as popular as it was back in its pirate bay days.

zaphdash wrote:
I'm not a practicing lawyer but I've been through law school and can tell you without a shred of doubt that seeding a torrent for a copyright-protected work is illegal and can subject you to both criminal and civil penalties.

Well, that's handy.

Quote:
Mesonoxian Eve's argument otherwise is downright puzzling.

Its a claim presented without a single source but with passion. I reckon its a misunderstanding of something previously read.

Quote:
What's at issue here is not the (il)legality of the act of seeding, it is entirely a question of civil procedure.

Yes, which would seem to be a plausible reason why Toei engaged in jurisdiction shopping when FUNimation's effort failed. The more information they can collect in discovery, on a swarm which clearly is cooperating in downloading the exact same file, but which is highly unlikely to have a large number actually located in the District of Columbia, the better positioned they will be to decide how to pursue which individuals, or smaller groups actually located in some particular state.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I just called it as I saw it, especially given all other magical girl properties like Precure, Pretty Rhythym, Jewelpet, and etc are also conveniently ignored by simulcasts.

Precure not being licensed for simulcast is understandable. The series typically performs very well in Japan, but is unlikely to garner a similar audience in the United States. In other words, Toei isn't likely to offer it for a price anyone would risk.

But regardless the reason, I think we can agree it was a fumble and a reason why fansubs are still necessary.

TitanXL wrote:
Also the 90% of the shows that don't get licensed every season. It's still a necessity.

Perhaps I misinterpreted this, but did you mean to imply that 90% of shows each season don't get licensed?

For Winter 2012 for example, I count 27 new shows (two of which were one episode specials, not series), 19 of which were licensed. Even if we count those two single episode specials (which were among those unlicensed), that is less than 30% that were not licensed for simulcast.

If OTOH, you meant only 90% of the shows that went unlicensed needed fansubs, why the 10% exception?
zaphdash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Quote:
Well, the wording may sound like your argument exactly, but what I was really getting at is what I've been saying all along, that the market will favor the higher quality, lower cost option, and so it "remains to be seen" whether the legal alternatives can overcome that.

But the illegal downloads are not the higher quality, lower cost options for every segment of the market today, so its not valid to assume that illicit distribution has the inside track in every market segment today. Therefore, its an open question.

Quality is, after all, far more than just effective video resolution ~ it includes convenience and accessibility, and there are a number of settings where current legit digital distribution is more convenient and accessible today.

The fact that Crunchyroll subscriptions doubled in about a year and a half would seem to demonstrate that its not every market segment that accepts the pain in the ass of chasing down torrents, torrent downloading and copying files from one device to another, and converting files from one format to another for your various digital devices as the highest quality option. Indeed, if every market segment accepted the torrent downloading as the overall highest quality of service combined with least cost, then a streaming site like Crunchyroll would never have been as popular as it was back in its pirate bay days.

I get where you're coming from, but the reality is that it's not a pain in the ass to find a torrent of anything you could possibly want. Granted that in the absence of an actual survey, this is just idle speculation, but I would bet the majority of Crunchyroll's users know exactly where and how to acquire fansubs (or even free rips of Crunchyroll streams), but they choose not to because some people would rather pay a little bit of money to stay on the right side of the law. I'd also note, although this is entirely anecdotal, that in my experience anime fans seem far more serious about "supporting the industry" than consumers of other media; obviously anime is the main topic here but a lot of my points are meant to be more broadly about downloading media in general, in which case Crunchyroll may be an outlier catering to a largely anomalous audience (even so, individual torrents for episodes of popular shows will still garner tens of thousands of downloaders -- the HS rip of Crunchyroll's stream of the most recent episode of Bleach, for example, shows 22,842 downloads of the 480p version, 35,792 of the 720p, and 17,676 of the 1080p, totaling 76,310 snatches of just this one episode released by just this one group).

I also don't necessarily put a ton of stock in Crunchyroll's growth rate so far because it's still a relatively new service. Explosive early growth is not uncommon, but I don't think it's realistic to expect subscriptions to continue doubling every 18 months for the foreseeable future, especially considering what a niche market Crunchyroll serves. Crunchyroll needs to mature a bit before we'll really know how successful it can be.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
...I get where you're coming from, but the reality is that it's not a pain in the ass to find a torrent of anything you could possibly want. ...

Its a bit odd to focus on that particular single step when the pain in the ass was applying to the whole file download process, which is such an old-fashioned way of doing things. Its like, so 1996.

Consider that I am waiting for a student to show up for tutoring, and want to watch an anime. Of course, I don't have admin privileges at the Library lab computers.

Now, I can (1) find a computer that lets me boot my own system, either off a live CD or USB card (2) happen to have that live CD or USB card at hand (3) either have torrent downloading built in or download and install it (4) find the torrent tracker that I need for the series (5) wait until the torrent has finished downloading (6) and watch the video on the computer ...
... or log into Crunchyroll or Crackle, click on my queue, click on the episode, and watch.

Or consider the situation where the file format is not compatible with the target device. Automatic converters don't always handle subtitle scripts correctly ~ they are focused, after all, on the far more massive market to convert bootleg Hollywood Movies to target the different devices. It may be necessary to use a subtitle authoring tool to extra the subtitle, another tool to convert the AV, and the subtitle authoring tool to add the subtitle to the new video format. Compared to, again, open a Crunchyroll app on the device, click on my queue, click on the episode, and watch.

Or consider watching the torrent download on my TV using my Roku box. install (and learn how to use) Plex on my PC, I have to download the torrent file, check that its the right format for the Plex or convert it if not, have my PC turned on, wasting electricity, go to my Plex channel on the Roku, and watch it. Or, I could have just gone straight to bed, turn on the TV, click on my Crunchyroll or Crackle or HuluPlus channel and just watch it.

That process was why even before legal streaming became available, it never was all torrent downloading, but bootleg hosted and leech streaming was a big part of the accessibility of bootleg anime.

Quote:
I also don't necessarily put a ton of stock in Crunchyroll's growth rate so far because it's still a relatively new service. Explosive early growth is not uncommon, but I don't think it's realistic to expect subscriptions to continue doubling every 18 months for the foreseeable future, especially considering what a niche market Crunchyroll serves. Crunchyroll needs to mature a bit before we'll really know how successful it can be.

But concluding that the Crunchyroll business model cannot work, and therefore something else is needed, needs quite a bit more than "Crunchyroll needs to mature a bit before we'll really know how successful it can be".

Since, as I understand it, you are arguing the position that the anime media industry cannot survive with a majority of its revenue coming from a variety of new media distribution revenue streams, ...
...the various contradicting positions include "it is too early to tell whether or not the available new media distribution revenue streams will be able to provide the primary support for the anime media industry."

And your "too early to tell" regarding Crunchyroll is evidence supporting that particular contradictory position to your position.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Precure not being licensed for simulcast is understandable. The series typically performs very well in Japan, but is unlikely to garner a similar audience in the United States.

I'm pretty sure the reason it is not simulcast is because they want a large company like warner brothers or cartoon network of 4kids to license it.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

Precure not being licensed for simulcast is understandable. The series typically performs very well in Japan, but is unlikely to garner a similar audience in the United States.

I'm pretty sure the reason it is not simulcast is because they want a large company like warner brothers or cartoon network of 4kids to license it.

The broadcasters normally license it from the R1 license holder.

However, this does at least place the speculation at the feet of the actual decision makers ~ per information from a reddit AMA last summer, Crunchyroll bids for every anime that goes to broadcast every season, so if they do not get a series, its never because "Crunchyroll passed", its always because the rights holder decided not to take Crunchyroll's offer.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Precure
The broadcasters normally license it from the R1 license holder.

However, this does at least place the speculation at the feet of the actual decision makers ~ per information from a reddit AMA last summer, Crunchyroll bids for every anime that goes to broadcast every season, so if they do not get a series, its never because "Crunchyroll passed", its always because the rights holder decided not to take Crunchyroll's offer.

Subject to the question of what Crunchyroll considers to be "anime". For example, I rather doubt Crunchyroll puts a bid on Chibi Maruko-chan every year, but I'm willing to be corrected by an actual Crunchyroll spokesman.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
If OTOH, you meant only 90% of the shows that went unlicensed needed fansubs, why the 10% exception?

"47.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot"
http://factcheck.gullible.info/discussion/114/473-of-all-statistics-are-made-up-on-the-spot/
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Precure not being licensed for simulcast is understandable. The series typically performs very well in Japan, but is unlikely to garner a similar audience in the United States. In other words, Toei isn't likely to offer it for a price anyone would risk.

You'd just think after Sailor Moon's success (both anime and recent manga sales) it'd be at least a note in their mind.

Quote:
Perhaps I misinterpreted this, but did you mean to imply that 90% of shows each season don't get licensed?

For Winter 2012 for example, I count 27 new shows (two of which were one episode specials, not series), 19 of which were licensed. Even if we count those two single episode specials (which were among those unlicensed), that is less than 30% that were not licensed for simulcast.

Is this exclusively simulcasted or includes DVD/BD release? I was speaking more DVD/BD release personally. Though Simulcasting is relatively new so all the stuff from the early 00s and before need them, but no, I did just use a random number just to demonstrate I see a lot of shows go overlooked and never get an R1 release. Also time-lapse, I suppose.. B Gata H Kei just came out despite being 2 years old, so maybe I miss some of the licenses.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Explain to me why it aired on TV then. -_-

Link

Explain to me why the dub ran for about 2 years if it wasn't successful.
But yeah, your point still stands as it didn't air in the US but rather Canada. Pretty decent dub too. Then again, it was a Toei made dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 16