• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have You Ever Read or Seen These Mangas?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Angel Sanctuary, Blame!, Blood- The Last Vampire, Blue Heaven, Himiko-Den, Ichi The Killer, Jisatsu Circle, Majin -Devil-, Neji, Noise, Skyhigh, White Dragon, Zombie Powder, Devil and Devil, Dragon Drive, Open Sesame, 666 satan, Tales of Destiny, Battle Angel Alita, Battle Angel Alita- Last Order, Blac Magic, Death Note, Saiyuki Gaiden, Trigun Maximum, and Ranma 1/2

I know it's a very long anime list, but can any of you tell me what these mangas are about? Did you enjoy them? ect. Some of them I never even heard of like Saiyuki Gaiden, Trigun Maxium and all the others I've listed. I just want to know if they are worth buying.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
you are on www.animenewsnetwork.com

there is a synopsis for these mangas y'know :s
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I know, I just want to know what the public thinks of them because those ratings aren't always truthful, and there summaries are too short. What I want to know are the main plots of the stories. I guess you could say that I want spoilers.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
I know, I just want to know what the public thinks of them because those ratings aren't always truthful, and there summaries are too short. What I want to know are the main plots of the stories. I guess you could say that I want spoilers.

you want plots and summaries of ALL those mangas o_O
are you mad...

those ratings ARE what the public thinks
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Devil & Devil is a MUST read and it's too good to spoil, IMHO. seriously, I read it thru twice in a row. altho I do tend to re-read stuff I like, it's rare for me to read something thru twice in a row.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
The only one of those I read is Ranma 1/2, so I'll provide a sort of summary of it....

It's a very wacky action-comedy title in the Takahashi sense, so expect alot of slap-stick humor and crazy romantic relationships. The story centers around a martial artist named Ranma, who is traveling with his father Genma through China. They find an ancient spring-filled training ground, which, unbeknowst to them, is cursed. Ranma and his father are sparring over the springs when they are both knocked into the water. Genma leaps out of the water as a panda. When Ranma gets to the surface, he is horrified to find that he has turned into a girl.

It all snowballs into craziness from there... Ranma is secretly engaged against his will to a scary tomboy named Akane, who develops a deep hatred of him from the start. Rivalries with other martial artists, such as the wild and always hopelessly lost Ryoga, flare and flare and die down, while bizarre pairings occur in love quintangles. It's a hilarious series, but also very long, and many find it repetitive. I'd suggest trying the first volume and see if you like the characters and humor.
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Between Battle Angel Alita and BAA: Last Order, I like the original better, because of the art and the storyline. I really don't like Last Order when she's resurrected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Trigun Maximum is just the continuing adventures of Vash the Stampede and company. They just named it Trigun Maximum cause the creator had to move his title to another company to make it. 666 Satan is pretty good. I read a few scanlations of it. The art style is very similar to Naruto because it was drawn by the brother of the creator of Naruto. It's about a young boy whose greatest aspiration is to take over the world. You'll find out by the end of the 1st or the beginning of the 2nd manga that he is the reincarnation of satan himself. Ranma 1/2 is just as it is above. Very good titles. Heard good things about Angel Sanctuary and Saiyuki Gaiden is the continuing adventures of Gojyo, Sanzo, Hakkai, and Goku so I'm guessing it's really good.
Monumension

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:43 am Reply with quote
I don't like spoiling things like you wanted us to so forgive me if I don't reveal enough of the plot.

The two Battle Angel Alita mangas are among my absolute favourites and I cannot recommend them enough. The story is basically about a cyborg named Alita who's trying to find out about her past and coexist with society in a postapocalyptical world. Lots of great characters and action. I actually like Last Order a little better than the original, maybe because the art got better IMO and the plot got epic.

Jisatsu Circle - Very good and very short (about 150 pages). A twisted and depressing story about the doomed friendship between two girls. The story is a spin-off from the movie with the same name (which is also worth checking out, but I liked this manga better).

Ichi the Killer - Psychotic, but excellent nonetheless. Sadomasochist Yakuza gang boss goes to war and meets confused and bizarre killer Ichi. Some of the violence is beyond extreme (nipples being sliced off, male genitalia cut in half etc.), but the story's not without some morbid humor. You should also check out the live action movie by Takashi Miike.

I've read some of the others too, but these are the ones I liked best personally. Maybe I'll write more later...

Last edited by Monumension on Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
Here's what I've read with a brief description and my opinions.

Himiko-den - I'd advise you to stay away from this one. It's made by Oh Great! so it's obviously gonna get some attention. But it lacks quite a bit. It would've been better off if it was longer than one book. The plot is too jumpy and it seems like the summary of a longer series. It's a lot like TenTen with shounen action and bloodshed.

Ichi the Killer - All I know is that my friend said it was quite violent.

Open Sesame - It has an attractive plot from the start. A male boxer transfers to a high school during its first years of being coed. The problem is, it used to be all girls. So the girls control the guys quite a bit and the main character doesn't plan on taking any crap. This one is highly recommended.

That's all I know, hope it helps you.
smutchi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Death Note - A friend of mine from Taiwan has read it and is a huge fan of it. It's about this guy who finds a book that belonged to a death god. When he writes the name of a person in it, this person dies. The encyclpoedia has a good synopsis.

MAJOR(!!!!) SPOILER:
spoiler[The interesting thing is that nobody seems to know the detective's name who is after the guy with the book, so that this guy can't kill the detective. Later on there's also a second death notes book that is used by a girl and the detective and the guy start working together. However, it's never quite clear who's on who's side...]

It's supposed to be very interesting, with a lot of suspense and unexpected plot turns. However, some people say it's overrated...
You know it's not yet avaible in English, right? I'm definitely going to buy it! Very Happy
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I've only read two of the manga on that list: Death Note, and Trigun Maximum.

Death Note
The premise is pretty interesting:

A Death God is bored, so he drops his Death Note on earth to be found by a human. A Death Note is a notebook in which a Death God (or a human, if they somehow acquire one) writes the name of a person and details of how they will die. Needless to say, this is a powerful weapon in the hands of a human. The Death Note falls into the hands of a teenage boy named Raito ("Light") Yagami. After finding the Death Note, he decides to use it to punish criminals who escaped prosecution. It doesn't take long for authorities to notice a large number of mysterious deaths, so they enlist the help of "L", a brilliant detective, to help find this mysterious killer "Kira" (killer pronounced the Japanese way). Now, Raito must try to dodge the authorities and engage in a battle of wits to outsmart "L"...

While I like the series, I absolutely hate the main character. He turns into a real bastard, real quick. While he only kills 'criminals' at first, he has no qualms killing innocent people (i.e. police) who are trying to find him. And he gets worse. If you don't mind a main character that you will (probably) hate, it's a great series.

Trigun: Maximum
If you liked the anime, but thought the ending was stupid or forced, or wanted more character development and story, you'll probably love the manga. If you didn't like the anime, you probably won't like the manga any more.

My only real problem with the manga is that the action scenes can be hard to follow at times.
Hana-kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I've read Angel Sanctuary and Death Note. Death Note is pretty good and Angel Sanctuary is okay. I do recommend Death Note though. Smile
hikarintakeru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Death Note is quite unique so I would go suggest it. As for Angel Sanctuary... it has one of the weirdest plots as you get further into the story and there's a lot of explanations and stuff. But hey, it was gorgeous ^^; That's probably why I kept reading. And AS is usually something for the girls to keep reading cause it has like... the prettiest boys ever >_>;
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I've read the entire Zombie Powder series, and unfortunately, it stopped short at four volumes. The art was pretty good and some parts of the story were creative, but I'm assuming the manga got yanked, because there really isn't an ending. I don't think it'll be brought over to North America, because there are plenty of shounen action manga here already. It wasn't anything exceptional, so no one's missing anything. I liked the artist's style and since I downloaded the scans, I decided to pick up Bleach.
666 Satan also wasn't anything eye catching. The background was drawn quite well, but the plot and characters wouldn't get anything higher than average. It just doesn't jump out at anyone.
Tales of Destiny has some nice art and character designs, but the thing about some of the manga based off of video games is that nothing is really catching. A lot of the time, I just looked at the art. I think its the story that's weak here.
Death Note:Quite amazing in the complexity of the plot and the sinister characters. The authors do not hesistate to kill main characters, and Takeshi Obata's art is sometimes even better than his work in Hikaru no Go. The investigation team tries to solve an almost impossible case, and when clues come their way, members are usually silenced. The only huge pet peeve I have with this is that the whole dragging the plot longer is only going to hurt the plot, and if this continues, my rating for it is going to go down. I didn't like some of the ploot twists (in which the author spares no one) at first, but I'm starting to get used to the direction it's going. I haven't read it in a while, but its scheduled to come out this fall from VIZ. I actually like the Japanese tankoubon format better with the jacket cover, so I'm thinking of just importing it. The plot is philosphical through Ryuuku's eyes, and I'm very interested to see how it will end. A lot is focused on the corruption of humans when they have power and abuse it. Plenty of action and suspense here, and I've been looking for some detective manga.
Saiyuki Gaiden: Another exceptional manga, although it unfortunately ended too soon. Taking place many centuries (I think) before the rest of the Saiyuki series (liscenced by TokyoPop), I really hope TP liscences it. The plot is quite deep, and revolves specifically around Goku and his friend Nataku (fan traslation anyway). It ended way too soon. I think maybe the scanlators forgot about the last chapter. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Ranma 1/2: I borrowed this from a local library, and for some humour it wasn't bad. I think reading more than ten volumes of the stuff would give me a headache though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2