• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DBZ VA ?'s

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
Why is only the Ocean Studios/Funimation only domestically buyable? What about the Harmony Gold and other dubs? Why do other companies prior to aformentioned ones get these rights to dub? Why not leave it to one company?
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Basically, one company orignally had the rights for it, but for whatever reason, they gave up those rights before finishing it. Funimation has since dubbed the rest, and has gone back to re-dub the beginning.
Asuka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
More likely, Saban/whoever did the first DBZ dubbing only had the episodes up to mid-Namek licensed, and for whatever reason Funimation was awared the license to everything after that. The first group of VAs never dubbed everything, and the license is expired, which means new printings of things using that license can't be done by Saban/whoever.

Edit - I stand apparently corrected.

Last edited by Asuka on Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about this Harmony Gold stuff (I think the only think they did was an old Dragonball dub back in the '80s) but I can tell you about the dubbing issue with DBZ.

Back in, '97, I think, Pioneer had the distribution rights to Dragonball Z (FUNi produced it, but Pioneer did the VHS and DVDs) They used a Canadian studio called The Ocean Group to do the dubbing. At some point (around '99) FUNi decided that it would be cheaper to hire local Texas talent. The rest is history.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Here is some background on the whole story.

As far as HG specifically, they only dubbed and aired a few eps of DB (not DBZ) as a market test. It pretty much failed miserably, so they gave up on the project. At that point, they either lost or gave up their rights to it. Once the rights are gone, it is no longer legal for the HG dubs to be distributed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1