• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball Z: The Motion Picture

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkSamurai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
What do you guys think about the Live action movie: Dragon Ball Z. Do you think it will be flat-out insane. Or It'll crap? To me if Stephan chow: for his fighting ideas, Director of the Matrix, and George Lucas: for his special effects. If they Teamed up. It will be, Unimaginable. But you can't get what you always want. Crying or Very sad
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt this will happen. There have been no updates for months. This would probably suck in live-action, anyway. Same with Eva. Chances are, with both, the original stories will be ignored they'll play it off as their own original stories (which will probably suck).
TonytheMan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I've watched an old DBZ live action movie. That movie was made 10-11 years ago. I've watched it 3-4 times back in Hong Kong. (Movie cable channel repeat ALOT)

Made in china, and you know it? It's incredibly chessy....but hilarious...It's quite funny if you ask me.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Not just months; the last real, non-made-up, news about the live-action DBZ project was that professional scribe Ben Ramsey had been hired to pen the script, and that was in June 2004.

I don't have any inside information, but I think it's astronomically unlikely that Ramsey has taken 15 months to write a screenplay for a movie based on a cartoon series aimed at a juvenile audience about superpowered musclebound alien grapplers with pointy hair who do "tough guy" poses in the air and sporadically zap each other with energy beams every once in a while. Even assuming the original draft of the script has gone through a couple of rewrites.

So I'm assuming the script has been collecting dust for the best part of a year now on a project that Fox originally touted as being on the "fasttrack" to production (with the film supposedly in theatres by the summer of 2004), the reason probably being that the DBZ "iron" was still reasonably "hot" when Fox announced the project initially, but has drastically "cooled" in popularity since then. Or the guys in suits concluded that the potential audience just isn't large enough to justify the expense of the projected budget, or, even if it is, the "opportunity costs" are too great (meaning they could use the money they'd spend making it on making something that would likely be more popular).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

So I'm assuming the script has been collecting dust for the best part of a year now on a project that Fox originally touted as being on the "fasttrack" to production (with the film supposedly in theatres by the summer of 2004), the reason probably being that the DBZ "iron" was still reasonably "hot" when Fox announced the project initially, but has drastically "cooled" in popularity since then. Or the guys in suits concluded that the potential audience just isn't large enough to justify the expense of the projected budget, or, even if it is, the "opportunity costs" are too great (meaning they could use the money they'd spend making it on making something that would likely be more popular).

I'm guessing it's more of the fact that most of the Hollywood Films have produced stinkers and barely recouped the cost back to break even. Out of all the Major Hollywood Studios, only one studio has made the money back and turned a sizeable profit. Fox wasn't that studio BTW.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote
Well, I think the primary reason a Dragonball Z film isn't being made anytime soon is that, while the core audience will always be there, the wider casual audience that was into DBZ for a while as a "fad" has grown up or moved on (or possibly both), and the window of time in which a live-action DBZ movie would have turned a profit at the domestic box-office closed at least two years ago.

Probably the best chance a DBZ movie has would be if Fox held on to the rights for another 15 years or so, by which time DBZ could cash in on its "nostalgia" value, the way that we're getting new films for fads from the mid-80s through early 90s now, such as Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1