• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why does everyone think Full Metal Alchemist is so good....

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonytheMan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I watched up to esp 10 last week.This series did not appeal to me at first. I don't feel like I want to watch it anymore.

It did not appeal me on the 1st esp, the 2nd, the 3rd...never did once did i say: "I want more of this!" Just kinda force myself to watch it because of the "rating" in Japan. It was a really big hit when it first air in Japan....(They even made an intro esp b4 airing the 1st esp...)

Anyway, in my opinion. I felt like this is an average anime.
Didn't hook me instantly like Monster, Bleach etc etc. I mean it never did. Confused
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Eh. That's you. Some shows effect people in different ways. I enjoyed it, a lot of people did, but the reasons why I enjoy it apparently don't apply to you. No big deal.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
There have been alot of series that do not look good until half way through . I think this has to do with the way the plot developes. Usualy the first part of a show is devoted to character development and at time's dose not make sense. I think these thing's start making more sense as the series progresses. In the case of FMA this how I felt. If you are not sure you can watch befor you buy on CN. I am liking this one now it dose get better in my opinion. Also I have found that keeping an open mind and finishing a series dose wonders for me because there are a lot of shows that I would not have in my collection if I had given up on them two vol. in. Like Fruits Basket or Haibane Renmei and Twelv kingdoms. Stick with it it's a good title.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
i actully thoght NGE would suck because i resally hate those big robot shows but after i saw the first 3 vol's NGE and know i am hooked to the carzy show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I've seen up to wherever they left off on CN and I plan on seeing the rest, but I would never consider buying such a chronically mediocre show. While it may be true that many shows get better half way through, I expect more of a show hailed as the "greatest anime this decade," a lot more.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
I've seen up to wherever they left off on CN and I plan on seeing the rest, but I would never consider buying such a chronically mediocre show. While it may be true that many shows get better half way through, I expect more of a show hailed as the "greatest anime this decade," a lot more.

I have to agree with you on the fact that it dose not live up to the hype. I still seem to get some enjoyment out of it for free on CN no loss exept time.
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess its just you.
I loved this show. To me it Was "one of the greatest anime ever". But hey, I have been with FMA since the first scans appeared on the net. Maybe people who heard about it after the hype were biased from the start.
Iemander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
The alchemy thing interests me alot, the brotherly love theme interests me alot as well, everything looks great graphically and it's all very stylish. Next to that, the characters are superb, I can't help but love every single one of them.

To be honest, in my eyes this series is perfection in its shounen genre.

And no I was not biased in any way, to be honest I hadn't heard a single thing about this series when I became exceptionally thrilled from the first episode.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
FMA is on the very top of my Greatest Anime ever list Next to NGE.

But its definily hard to get hooked if you stop at epsiode 10. I didn't start really digging the series until episode 13. And after that the show just kept getting better until the very end. TonytheMan: keep watching the show and you'll understand!
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
It's not as if it's a terrible series.

My feeling is that it's at least a perfectly good series. If you don't get swept up, then that's your tastes.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
1) Excellent character development
2) Great balance of silly and serious content
3) True depth - a rarity for shonen action series
4) Top-rate voice acting
5) Great visuals (maybe not #1 on art, but definitely an upper-tier title)
6) Exciting and visually impressive action scenes
7) Great musical scoring
8) Quality storytelling which emphasizes that actions taken can have long-lasting consequences and the dangers for abuse that come with great power

Admittedly I was leery of FMA going into it because I thought it was over-hyped and was expecting something much less sophisticated, but I was completely hooked by the powerhouse opening and never looked back. It is, all-around, the best new title I've seen this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GloriousPikachu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I love the show and think its one of the greatest anime of all time...also it has a lot of meaning to it. but i suppose its how you look at it.
Inu_Yasha_jr.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Because Full Metal Alchemist...IS soo good, lol. But really, some people will like it and some people will not. It is one of the best anime series out there so far, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't really like it at all, but I'm forcing myself to watch it because everyone else says it's so good. I've not noticed any significant character development (Ed is always just as irritating and Al is always just as erm empty), the animation looks very Disneyfied, and if another character mentions "the law of Equivalent Exchange" again I'll scream.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I like FMA because it's got action,comdy,a great musical score and a great storyline.i wouldn't rank it as being one of the greatest anime shows,it's a very good anime series that every
anime fan needs to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3