• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GUNDAM CHARACTER'S ETHNIC BACKGROUND

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justice Gundam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:39 am Reply with quote
Um, can anyone provide people from what ethnic background the characters from various Gundam series are?
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quote
I could be wrong , It seemed to me they never say. The only things that are different about the two or three side's is where they live. If they were going to be any nationality it would be Japanese at least it would seem logical. This dose not apply to G Gundam, were all the fighters come from different country's.
GospelX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:29 am Reply with quote
Wing also sports different nationalities for the different characters.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
Doesn't exactly matter, really. Not to mention it'd be too hard to trace. Most Gundam character bios never really list ethnic history, instead opting (if anything at all) for their place of residence during the series or immediately prior. Not to mention at least a couple of the Gundam series have taken into account that ethnicity and nationality are bound to change within the next couple hundred years, and thus you have characters with ethnic backgrounds that really cannot apply to the modern day geopolitical setting (Zeon, Orb, and just space colonies in general, really). Basically, your best bet is to look at names, and decipher where, if applicable, those names originate. A character with the surname "Yamato" is obviously going to be of some sort of Japanese descent, whereas a character with the surname "Rosita" or "Khan" (and to hell with that "Karn" nonsense Razz ) would originate from somewhere else entirely...perhaps Spanish and Mongolian respectively? Of course, even then, there are bound to be incidents with names like "la Fllaga" or "Aznable," which probably don't really have much in the way of any real-world origins, and are just more of Gundam predicting where genealogy will go in the next couple centuries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the name "Char Aznable" was derived from the name of the French singer Charles Aznavour. Considering the time Char spent living in France as a child, it may be reasonable to consider Aznable to be an ethnically French name (although Char himself could be anything, really).

In general, though, it's true that it's rather pointless to try to pin down the ethnicity of most Gundam characters. It's specified in a handful of instances (Amuro, for example, is Japanese, and of course G Gundam and Gundam Wing have both already been mentioned in this thread), but for the most part it's pretty impossible to tell and it doesn't serve much purpose to know anyway.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
The main pilots of Wing have ethnic backgrounds. I don't know if they are stated in the show, but there are official sources that list them.

Gundam Wing:
Heero - Japanese
Duo - American
Trowa - unknown
Quatre - Arab, supposedly (a blonde arab?)
Wu Fei - Chinese

The G Gundam characters also have specific ethnic backgrounds as they represent their colonies/countries.

I believe Fa Yuri (Zeta Gundam) is supposed to be Chinese.
Nick1978

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Really? I didn't know they listed them. Got any linkage for a site that does by chance?
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Most of Zeon is ethnically-or at least culturally-German.

SIEG ZEON!

Oh, I believe that Witz might from somewhere in North America. Was Fort Severn ever given a definite location?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Nick1978 wrote:
Really? I didn't know they listed them. Got any linkage for a site that does by chance?

Any number of Gundam sites probably has info like that, but I don't know any specifically.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
I remember that Bright Noah is British, Kai Shiden is Puerto Rican, and Ryu Hosei is Mexican. Lalah Sun is South Asian, Amuro is also Japanese. Camille is half Japanese and half white.

Speaking of Fa, shouldn't her name by Hua considering she's Chinese, and I believe her name means flower.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:35 am Reply with quote
Amuro's family home is in North America and as for Ryu Jose well...same boat as Kai, their names don't really correlate to where they're from.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
I heard in the TV series, Amuro's mother is in Japan, while in the movie it's in North America.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's kind of a genreal statement, I mean, there are hundreds of characters in Gundam. As for the one title I've seen, Gundam SEED, many of the people are mixed, I think. Since it's set in the future, many of the naturals probably are mixed races, while the coordinators...well, they are custom created I guess, explaining Lacus Cline's pink hair and Yzak's white. Actually, since its anime, it doesn't really matter what color the hair is. Some naturals are obviously one race, such as the middle eastern people when the Archangel lands in...Africa? If it was important to the plot, I think it would be stated somewhere, but if not, the races are ambiguous.
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:18 pm Reply with quote
The TV Series is clearly North America.
Justice Gundam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:37 am Reply with quote
Um, how about the ethnic background of people in GS?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2