• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
religion in anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyyeo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
hey guys,

i`m about to start a major work for english and i have chosen to research religion. and since i have an interest in anime, i thought that i might start looking at the way religion is portrayed in japanese animations.

does anyone have any suggestions as to which animes i should choose? i already know spirited away has shintoism...any others?

thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
andyyeo wrote:
hey guys,

i`m about to start a major work for english and i have chosen to research religion. and since i have an interest in anime, i thought that i might start looking at the way religion is portrayed in japanese animations.

does anyone have any suggestions as to which animes i should choose? i already know spirited away has shintoism...any others?

thanks in advance!

urrgh, best bet if you're doing a research paper, do something that isn't already so far in your comfort zone, otherwise it tends to be of a lower quality.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Are you researching a specific kind of religion, like Christianity or Buddhism, or religion in general? If you're using Christianity for your research, you may want to read this threadfor some ideas.
andyyeo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
mm. but i`m thinking that anime in general would be in my comfort zone? if not, then i`ll go in search of another one =]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andyyeo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Are you researching a specific kind of religion, like Christianity or Buddhism, or religion in general? If you're using Christianity for your research, you may want to read this threadfor some ideas.

thanks mate. umm...not just christianity, i was hoping to contrast portrayals of different religions. shintoism, buddhism...christianity...even religions that are not common?
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote
andyyeo wrote:
thanks mate. umm...not just christianity, i was hoping to contrast portrayals of different religions. shintoism, buddhism...christianity...even religions that are not common?

I found some more articles that might help you establish a foundation for your research. Check them out whenever you have a chance. Also make sure you read the thread that I previously linked:

http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=803

http://animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=98

http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=1071

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=373
andyyeo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
andyyeo wrote:

I found some more articles that might help you establish a foundation for your research. Check them out whenever you have a chance. Also make sure you read the thread that I previously linked:

http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=803

http://animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=98

http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=1071

animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=373

wow. thank you very much =]
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:22 am Reply with quote
I actually wrote an end paper on The Religiousness of the Japanese people for my Culture Class in the Japanese Philology Department... and I dont think reffererncing anime is a good idea. I would much more reccomend actual books by researchers of the Japanese. Unfortunately, all the books I read were either in polish or russian so you kinda out of luck with me, but a really cool example of the way Japanese see religion and christianity is a book by Shusaku Endo called "Samurai". It will really let you look into their mentality. Shusaku Endo is one of my fav japanese writers (right next to Kenzaburo) and his books capture the essence of the Japanese spirit.
scorpioEDC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:03 am Reply with quote
How about a Japanese perception of Muslim in Yugo The Negotiator Pakistan.

There was a scene in Yugo seems like trying to make a self-induced injury comparable to Seppuku - bravery that 'was' admirable in a samurai.

Wondering whether today Japanese still think that such a suicide act is equivalent to bravery.

To me, suicide is an excuse to escape from harsh reality. It takes more courage to face adversity and finding constructive ways to deal with it than destroying oneself as a way to exit.

Last edited by scorpioEDC on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dj rub

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I'd definately go with some of Miyazakis' films as the basis for alot of them is Shinto (Mononoke's tree spirits for example). All his films seem to have something to do with spirituality in some way, its just that American viewers tend to think of them more as "fantasy" and not "spirituality", I think.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
The trouble with viewing Miyazaki films, or for that matter any anime, and trying to learn about religion is one of context. Some of Miyazaki's ideas are based on shinto tradition, some are based on other artist's work (ahem, Howl'sMoving Castle), and some are based on his own imagination. I'd recommend getting a good book about Shinto, and Budhism and Chritianity as well (especially Japanese Christianity), study up and then watch Miyazaki again.

Last edited by ShellBullet on Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
Series that have to do with religion (the study of is another "hobby" of mine):

X TV: Deals with western "end of the world" in a primarly Buddhist and Shinto context, though thier are Christian, Buddhist, Shinto, and "spiritualist" characters working together on one side and portrayed sympathetically. I think the Shinto and Western influence are particularly strong. For example, spoiler[The "Earth" (Kuni) and "Heaven" (Ama, as in Amaterasu, who's Ise Shrine Arashi comes from, very cool place BtW) are the two major divisions of Kami. Also, certain relationships seem to parallel mythology. Meanwhile, the swords that the Kamui's use have hebrew writing on them. ]

Blue Seed: Is tied to one of the oldest Shinto Myth cycles and it's impact/near destruction of modern Japan. However, it's cheesy as heck and a bit old.

Eight Clouds Rising (OVA): Title refers to the very first poem known to be written in Japanese, author Susano-o no Kami, arguably the most important Shinto diety aside from Amaterasu. This deals with his mortal decendants dealing with his handiwork. While the manga is better and much longer, the OVA has some interesting insights from an "insiders view" of Shinto, particularly tied to its tribal/clan origins, and the rivalry of two early Japanese tribes, Izumo and Yamato, and very sympathetic to the loser's (Izumo-jin) perspective, particularly since the leaders of Yamato are the ancestors of the Japanese Emperors and are essentially portrayed as murderous bastards.

Shrine Of the Morning Mist:
Another "not outstanding but pretty good Anime". This one focuses on Shrine Maidens. At times silly but cute and fun. The second volume (US release) has some good extras that tell a lot about Shinto and answers some questions aplicable to other Anime (Like, what's a Mononoke). The third volume has a really good episode concentrating on the origins of two of the "bad guys" and says a lot about the Japanese view of physical reality.

Wolf's Rain: This one in set in an spoiler[previous] earth. This one deals with prophecies about the end of the world. What is interesting is that those prophecies are explicitly modeled on Norse, Celtic, and particularly Native American real life prophecies/myth. The ending brings home that point (Volumes 5-7) concentrate on these points. It's kind of interesting to see the Japanese deal with myth that is simular but different in the particulars of Shinto.

Scrapped Princess: Haven't seen all of this one, but the bad guys in this one run a church that is explictly modeled after the Catholic church and exhibit some of the less "charitable attitudes" i.e. burning heretics, fanaticism etc of that institution. Also they seem to be actively decieving the people in general. The names of the gods and some of the characters are very "interesting". Let's just say Charlton Heston would approve.

I know there is a lot more, but that's what I have time for right now.

All the best,

Nani?
andyyeo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
wow. thanks guys. currently watching full metal alchemist and its very good. ill take a look at everything else too and take up all those great tips and suggestions. domo arigatou, minnasan!
There is no World

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Errrr... maybe you should try watching Crno Crusade..... Its alll about Christianity, won't help for the paper much, but hell, its still a good anime.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Hellsing has some religion in it. Also its pretty short around 13 episodes. If I remember correctly it has a few references to Catholics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3