• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recommendation please :)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
téknolàized

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Hello, just finished Battle Angel Alita, which imo was a very good read. I've also read most of Shirow's work earlier and enjoyed it, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any other Sci-Fi mangas with good storylines.

I know these are very broad characteristics, but just throw anything at the top of your head at me Wink

I've read lots of other kinds of mangas as well but currently I'm thirsting for more stuff of this theme.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated Smile
Arkard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
One word: EDEN!
I am not sure if its already available in the US, but I think I saw it in one of the american companies` previews. Eden is simply brilliant. It has everything: cyber punk, action, drama, politics. It actually is a title with a dozen main characters. Many die, many side ones become the main ones etc. You wont get enough of Eden when you get into it.

Other than that, I guess Akira would be right up your alley.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
One word: EDEN!
I am not sure if its already available in the US, but I think I saw it in one of the american companies` previews. Eden is simply brilliant. It has everything: cyber punk, action, drama, politics. It actually is a title with a dozen main characters. Many die, many side ones become the main ones etc. You wont get enough of Eden when you get into it.

Other than that, I guess Akira would be right up your alley.

It'll be available this November. A good read, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend it, but go for Akira first, which is superior in every way. Engaging characters, detailed art, cinematic adtion, brilliant plot and storytelling that changed manga as we know it.
Also look into the author's (Katsuhiro Otomo) other works, Domu and The Legend of Mother Sarah. Domu is one volume, and is a mix of horror, Scifi, social commentary and speculation on the nature of evil/innocence. Just as good as Akira. Only one volume of Mother Sarah has been released and it's pretty tough to find, but if you see one pick it up for an incredible tale of survival and courage within a typical Otomo world (post-apocalyptic, violent, etc).
Other than that, I haven't encountered too many SciFI series that have blown me away (in english at least). Appleseed is very good, but I'm assuming you've read it. Parasite is brilliant but nearly impossible to find (hopefully Tokyopop will put out a new edition now that they're making a movie). BLAME is a decent read, though it's a bit confusing and initially lacks substance. Just get anything by Katsuhiro Otomo and you'll be a pig in you-know-what.
téknolàized

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:28 am Reply with quote
Thanks a lot!
Forgot to mention that I've read Akira already. I didn't think of checking out other stuff by Otomo though, I'll definately check out those titles as well as Eden.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1