• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
South Asian Dubs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulless_mariuno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Have any of you ever heard the south asian dubs?If so,which ones you prefer American or South Asian?I loved get backers with the South Asian dubs but with the American voice casts,not so much.Like instead of just a minute Ban says,"and thats a minute".Whereas,i prefer the american dubs for samurai x.Any suggestions as to which are better for what shows?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
South Asia stands for India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bhutan (sorry if I miss any). Are you sure these are the nations you are talking about? Guess you mean "SE Asia."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
soulless_mariuno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
South Asia stands for India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bhutan (sorry if I miss any). Are you sure these are the nations you are talking about? Guess you mean "SE Asia."

Nope,i meant South Asia.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
soulless_mariuno wrote:
Nope,i meant South Asia.

Hmm, this is interesting. Do countries of South Asia share dubbing and release like US/Canada (R1) and some European countries (R2)? Could you tell us the popularity of anime in South Asia as well? Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't ANIMAX use the same singapore based English dubs there in SOUTH ASIA though?

Well, I wouldn't know actually Anime smile;

IF we're talking animax, I totally love the dub they have for HERLOCK (Harlock)

Lex Lang is cool and all, but they made HERLOCK kick so much ass because of the voice they gave to him

Although there is like 2 or 3 weird thingies with the script... and of course, the sound issues
soulless_mariuno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:58 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
soulless_mariuno wrote:
Nope,i meant South Asia.

Hmm, this is interesting. Do countries of South Asia share dubbing and release like US/Canada (R1) and some European countries (R2)? Could you tell us the popularity of anime in South Asia as well? Thanks in advance.

Well,the industry is quite new in the south asian countries.Animax has been airing for about 2 years now in India,but anime was around for years.Shows such as dragonball z and cardcaptor sakura were aired on toonami.Eventhough,Animax has been on for 2 years now dvds are yet to be launched here.Nonetheless,it has managed to attract a large number of audiences.Orthodoxities are high here and this prevents change,but given enough time the industry is bound to grow.
Recently,big comic industries like marvel,dc and dark house launched themselves in the indian market and it led to spiderman india(heard of it?).It has 4 issues with Joe Quesda presiding and an indian artist Jeevan J Kang providing artwork.

Last edited by soulless_mariuno on Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
soulless_mariuno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:00 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Doesn't ANIMAX use the same singapore based English dubs there in SOUTH ASIA though?

Well, I wouldn't know actually Anime smile;

IF we're talking animax, I totally love the dub they have for HERLOCK (Harlock)

Lex Lang is cool and all, but they made HERLOCK kick so much ass because of the voice they gave to him

Although there is like 2 or 3 weird thingies with the script... and of course, the sound issues

I guess,as the office is in singapore,but i am not entirely sure.Nonetheless,its different from the american dubs.Sorry,if i was misleading.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

DKL is right. Very Happy

If there are no Official english dubs for the shows, then Animax hires their own Singapore-based dub crew (AXN-asia forumers call them "in-house" dubbers).

During the first year, they had really sucky dubs and during that time (only their dubs for Area 88 and GITS SAC season 1 were the only ones that I liked). It means that Getbackers, Clamp School, Chobits, .hack//legend of the twilight, Ultra Maniac and some other shows had REALLY BAD DUBS!!! (IMO and including a lot of people who watch Animax here in SE Asia)

After a year or so, their dubs have been improving and they made nice quality dubs since then (or majority at least).

The in-house dubs that I've liked:
-Galaxy Angel A Very Happy (one of their best dubs)
-.hack //sign (not that bad though)
-UFO Baby/Daa Daa Daa (their dubbing was nice)
-Count of Monte Cristo (their latest project. no problems here)

Aside from these (or at least), all the other shows on Animax use "official" English dubs (North American dubs because these are recognized by the Japanese producers/makers for the International market)

For me, these newer in-house dubs are those at least "pass" my standards/expectations (though I dunno about the rest).

STILL, if you don't like the english dub for the show that you want for whatever reason, then you can just change the audio language to "Japanese" and the respective subtitles (depending on what country you are) will kick-in.

That is a special feature supplied by Animax Singapore HQ (or rather Regional HQ) AND MAY ONLY WORK if your cable/satellite company (or TV service provider) supports this feature.

More or less, your TV Service Provider has to be Digital (in-order for you to change the language to Japanese from the default language and vice-versa).
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
Actually, it depends...

If the license to the US based dub is too expensive, they do it themselves

Also, most SKY cable subscribers *online anyway* whined about not being able to get the subbed version of the shows... don't you need to be on DREAM or something? I don't think SKY offered the thing, but I dunno

Before I left, ANIMAX had some cool dubs for ESCAFLOWNE TV and MIDORI NO HIBI

... I'd also totally like to see the second half of CCS in English actually

Anyway, yeah, I think the SINGAPORE BASED dubs are used in INDIA too

ANIMAX probably just deals in TV airing, not DVD releases mainly since it'll be too expensive for SONY to get into it... It could be between the fact that it won't sell, or that there's too much piracy out there *like in the Philippines*

... But yeah, ANIMAX is racking up a pretty good following, just hope it gets out here soon

which reminds me, did they use ANIMAZE's dub for COWBOY BEBOP?

I'd also like to know if TOKYO GODFATHERS was dubbed
soulless_mariuno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Actually, it depends...

Also, most SKY cable subscribers *online anyway* whined about not being able to get the subbed version of the shows... don't you need to be on DREAM or something? I don't think SKY offered the thing, but I dunno

Anyway, yeah, I think the SINGAPORE BASED dubs are used in INDIA too

ANIMAX probably just deals in TV airing, not DVD releases mainly since it'll be too expensive for SONY to get into it... It could be between the fact that it won't sell, or that there's too much piracy out there *like in the Philippines*

... But yeah, ANIMAX is racking up a pretty good following, just hope it gets out here soon

Escaflowne did have a cool dub.I heard that animax was planning to launch a full scale market(dvds to figures),if the response was positive and profitable.Do you get anime dvds or vcds in the Philippines?
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
From what I remember, it was only for the SUPER POPULAR stuff like BEYBLADE (DVD, cut version), RAGNAROK (VCD)

They also had TRIGUN (VCD), FUSHIGI YUUGI (VCD)

... and some other things... I can't remember

I also remember that SONY domesticated COWBOY BEBOP THE MOVIE and METROPOLIS on both DVD and VCD formats

If ANIMAX released a DVD with their dub on it, I'd probably import it

... although, they do to smooth it out here and there if they intend to, but it was still pretty good by me

But really, it's when their translation was getting better *but for some reason they'd load the occasional weird-ass line here and there for reasons unknown*

ANYWAY, it was hard to get original merchandise back home, so I just watched a TON of ANIMAX since I wasn't willing to buy bootlegs
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
soulless_mariuno wrote:
Do you get anime dvds or vcds in the Philippines?

Yup, lots and lots of Anime VCDS but the DVDS are rare... but the sad part is lots of them are Bootlegs and Pirates Anime cry
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
Hmm....
DKL wrote:

Yup this is tends to be true.

An example would be Wolf's Rain and its OVA.
For the TV series, Animax decided to use their in-house dubbing staff (probably because Bandai Japan charges too high to use the official English dubs for all 26 episodes). While for the OAV (episodes 27-30), they used the "official" English dubs certified by Bandai Japan/International (the one with Crispin Freeman & Joshua Seth).

DKL wrote:

The feature for dual-sound isn't supported yet. It will only start once SKY/HOME Cable get their Digital set-top boxes ready & if the feature will be supported.

Another service provider which will be known next year may also provide this feature on their Digital TV service. This new company is join-venture partnership between PLDT and Echostar Communications (I'm sure you're familiar with this).

DKL wrote:

I wouldn't Escaflowne's in-house dub to be cool (kinda sucky & dragging) but I liked the dub of Midori Days. That's when the in-house dubbers started to make drastic improvements in their voicing.

DKL wrote:

It's run just finished airing. Their might be a re-run in the coming months.

DKL wrote:

Animaze? I don't know what you're talking about but if you are referring to Cowboy Bebop's English dub on Animax, then it's the OFFICAL English dub (certified & used by Bandai Inc. and Sunrise Inc. for global & international distribution).

Usually, when there is an NA dub produced for a certain show, then it is considered as the "official" English dub and will not only be intended for NA but for the whole world.

Animax used the Official English dub for Galaxy Angel 1 (I humbly thank Ocean Group for producing a nice dub for that show)
More or less, this is now the case.

DKL wrote:

That I don't know unfortunately.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
pinoyfreestyler wrote:

I wouldn't Escaflowne's in-house dub to be cool (kinda sucky & dragging) but I liked the dub of Midori Days. That's when the in-house dubbers started to make drastic improvements in their voicing.

Actually, I dunno about you, but the only thing I didn't like about the ESCA dub was the first two episodes *which alsmost turned me off entirely* and the voice switching thing

good thing I kept watching into the third episode, when you hear DILANDAU and FOLKEN's deliveries, it just kicks a lot of ass

Third episode onwards was pretty dang solid

As for COWBOY BEBOP: Yeah, they did use ANIMAZE's dub from what I can understand

The dub for the WOLF'S RAIN OAV *with Johnny Yong Bosch*
is also done by ANIMAZE

I think we didn't get eachother, but ANIMAZE is the name of a dubbing studio here in the states

----------------------

People keep talking about the dub from COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO... now I wanna hear it Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1