• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime that need re-releases.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
I hate it that they constantly release mediocre anime series while great anime becomes harder and harder to find and their prices go way up.

Here are some series that cannot be obtained easily or at a remotely reasonable price and really need a re-release:

GTO - This series should be seen by everyone
Black Lagoon
Haibane Renmei
Paranoia Agent
Ergo Proxy
Hellsing Ultimate

Looking at these series makes you wonder how many other anime with eventually become impossible to get. What if someday nobody gets the chance to see Cowboy Bebop?

And really how hard can it be to re-release a cheap box set? Like a SAVE edition or something.

What are your thoughts? Any anime you think needs another release?
anime racket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with your picks. Lucky for me I bought Ergo Proxy
when it came out on dvd; one of the first anime I ever watched.
One series that I definitely think needs a rerelease is Cardcaptor
Sakura as prices for the whole series can easily reach $1000.
Other than that, I really wish that there was an easily affordable
release of Garden of Sinners.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Most of that stuff the TC listed is going to get an eventual re-release via Funimation, whenever they get the materials.

I think they are still ironing out all the stuff following the merger of Geneon & Universal Japan.

Hellsing Ultimate is definately coming out this year, and they are working on dubbing up to vol. 8 (with the original dub cast).
They are also going to re-release 1-4 as well.

Not really sure when or how they will get re-released, but I am kind of hoping it gets individual releases to match the older Geneon release.

IIRC they also have these (I could be off):

Ergo Proxy
Paranoia Agent
Black Lagoon (including Roberta's Blood Trail OVA)
Haibane Renmei

As for GTO, not sure about that since Tokyopop went away.
You can still find it used on Amazon for about $80 each part.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Suzza wrote:
And really how hard can it be to re-release a cheap box set? Like a SAVE edition or something.

The problem with this is that you can't rerelease a title if the license is expired.

http://animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=779423

I saw Hellsing, Haibane and Black Lagoon(and Lain.)
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:

Not really sure when or how they will get re-released, but I am kind of hoping it gets individual releases to match the older Geneon release.

IIRC they also have these (I could be off):

Paranoia Agent

I am going to assume by they you mean Funimation. Paranoia Agent is pretty high on my list of must owns(but not for $300) and I am sure Funimation has not acquired any license to re-release it.
Amorok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man, Haibane Renmei and GTO… that brings me back.

I agree, though, GTO is one of those anime "classics" that ought to be on everyone's to-see list. On a side-note, my brother is not at all into anime, and the only two I've been able to convince him to watch -- and he's enjoyed -- are Death Note and GTO. Those two series seem to have a universal appeal that transcends the boundary between the genres.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
My number one would be Armored Trooper Votoms. The boxset is very rare and expensive these days.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Suzza wrote:

Here are some series that cannot be obtained easily or at a remotely reasonable price and really need a re-release:

GTO - This series should be seen by everyone
Black Lagoon
Haibane Renmei
Paranoia Agent
Ergo Proxy

Haibane Renmei, Paranoia Agent and Ergo Proxy all have one thing in common. They are highly artsy shows that are going to appeal to a small part of the anime-buying public. Further, in the case of the first two, there are big names attached to each of them and it seems likely that licensing fees would be prohibitively high. I was reading an article somewhere where it was mentioned that a lot of Satoshi Kon's films should be considered 'prestige' titles which make the distibutor look good , but unfortunately are not titles which are likely to be highly profitable.

That being said, a couple of titles I think could stand a re-release:

Munto: The idea would be to re-release the 2 OVA's together with the TV series, which never made it to the US. Unfortunately, the KyoAni tag might make the license too costly.

Oreimo: The demand seems to be there, at least if the highly exaggerated prices on the Amazon marketplace are any indication. I'm glad I didn't wait to get mine.

Lodoss War: Anyone out there listening, Media Blasters?
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
My number one would be Armored Trooper Votoms. The boxset is very rare and expensive these days.

While I certainly agree that it needs a reprint on the basis that it is awesome, I got it just a couple of months ago for around $50 on ebay. Granted, it was the 16 singles set, didn't have the bonus dubbed first ep (though I don't see the point of dubbing only the first ep anyway), but the series itself can still be gotten at a reasonable price for the time being.

Ok, so here a captain obvious one when it comes to older shows, Macross. For a set that got released two times in original unedited by two different companies (AnimEigo and ADV), they're both ridiculously hard to find. Now, on the plus side, you can get Robotech super easy. There was the 80s broadcast singles, 80s broadcast set, remastered singles, protoculture collection, and now the A&E set (and I might've missed a release at that, I was only counting the DVD releases here on Robotech and there's at least 5), but we all know that we need a re-release of original Macross. I can't say I was big on the ADV dub (if only because I thought Robotech's dub cast was perfect) so sub-only is fine too, because being a Robotech fan, I was dying to get this series myself (and lucked out when the Robotech store got a bunch for cheap) It's pretty much a classic and watching it in original sub is only an excuse for me to love the Macross Saga of Robotech even more! I know a lot of the problems have to do with Harmony Gold's death grip on Robotech, but heck, Macross II and Macross Plus still somehow came out, right? And those are still common and in print!

A couple of more captain obvious series, this time from Viz (go figure), Key the Metal Idol and Maison Ikkoku. Key the Metal Idol is a simple case of "classic show out of print" like many of the other things I've seen on the list. Unlike Macross, not sure if it has a huge demand for it, but it is a damn good show. For Maison Ikkoku, that being so OOP annoys me a lot. I know there's demand for that, yet they reprint Ranma 1/2, which is a fine show and all, but not one of the best things in its genre like Maison Ikkoku is. And you can't win on the manga side either, they actually did re-print that in unflipped and correct order edition, that's out of print too. So yeah, they really need to reprint one or the other and stop shoving Hot Gimmick down our manga throats cus I'm not biting. I'm not going into Viz's manga that needs a reprinting cus we'd be here all night (let's just say all of it though, especially older longer shojo series)

Ok, a more recent one, Scrapped Princess. I'm so happy I got this before it went OOP! I didn't think the first ep made a great impression, but I gave it another chance and it's pretty much an instant classic. Obviously in the future this will be "all Bandai titles", but for one that's already gone even before they bowed out, I say this series. While I could see some of their other already kinda OOP series having a more limited demographic (say, .hack//SIGN, which I loved, but would see many being bored by it), I feel like Scrapped Princess has a pretty wide appeal. I feel like a re-license with the right marketing behind it could make it a big seller again.

One Geneon title no one has mentioned (likely due to not hearing about it) that definitely deserves a reprint is Master Keaton, especially since it's not like we'll ever see all of Monster on DVD, how else can you get your Urasawa fix? On the plus side, it's an episodic series, so grab any singles you can find!
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Generic #757858 wrote:

While I certainly agree that it needs a reprint on the basis that it is awesome, I got it just a couple of months ago for around $50 on ebay. Granted, it was the 16 singles set, didn't have the bonus dubbed first ep (though I don't see the point of dubbing only the first ep anyway), but the series itself can still be gotten at a reasonable price for the time being.

But the Image release is of poor quality and hard-subbed. A newer release would undoubtedly be of better quality and soft-subbed. We also now have blu-ray, which VOTOMS, a cel-animated show, could benefit from. A new release would also draw some new interest, hopefully enough to get all the OVAs licensed.

I agree on Paranoia Agent and Maison Ikkoku getting new releases so people don't have to empty their bank account to get them. Thankfully, I have both along with the MI manga. And here's a vote for a proper Robot Carnival release and a re-release of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust with better sound mixing would be nice too.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
I'll second (or third. Fourth?) the notion of Haibane Renmei. If I'm not mistaken, FUNi "rescued" that title, right? I suppose that's why it's in spoiler[Purgatory]. That series has the most symbolism and philosophy I've seen since Eva and Kino, respectively. All of the boxed sets are $150+. And, admittedly, I loathe singles.

Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise: Most certainly this needs one. That film is a classic that actually deserves all of its accolades, acclaim, and claims of masterpiece status; unlike some other late-80s titles. ::cough*Akira*cough::

Whimsical Orange Road: I love series like this. I've spoken with Peter Payne of J-List many times over the years about that series (it's his favorite) and I'm intrigued to see it in entirety, in HD quality -- as opposed to VHS -- and in a box set. More modern fans need to be aware of classics like these.

Planetes: Have only heard great things about it. So, I tried to buy it, and my wallet jumped out of my pocket and ran away. This needs an affordable re-release.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Suzza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:

Planetes: Have only heard great things about it. So, I tried to buy it, and my wallet jumped out of my pocket and ran away. This needs an affordable re-release.

I just ordered the Planetes complete set last week from Amazon for $30. It's also in stock at rightstuf for 30 something bucks too.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
Oops! Guess I got my series mixed up.

Thanks.

::Runs off to TRSI to buy Planetes::
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
Saiunkoku Monogatari tops the list for me. It was one of the Geneon titles that Funimation distributed for them until the agreement expired. Black Lagoon was also on that list, but I'm pretty sure we'll see the original episodes re-released when the Roberta's Blood Trail OVA appears later this year.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
I think Funimation should get their butts in gear and get to re-releasing the Tenchi Muyo stuff they license rescued.

I never got around to purchasing any of Flame of Recca when that finally got a release. I wish they'd re-release it as a boxset.

504NOSON2 wrote:

Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise: Most certainly this needs one. That film is a classic that actually deserves all of its accolades, acclaim, and claims of masterpiece status; unlike some other late-80s titles. ::cough*Akira*cough::

WoH is my favorite anime movie. I got the expensive DVD/Blu-Ray combo for Christmas a couple of years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3