• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga word bubbles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinmigumi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I have been reading manga for a while and still have trouble telling which word bubble to read first when it is not to clear which bubble comes first especially when there are words in the backround.

for example
If people/aperson is talking in speech bubbles and there are people in the back round not talking in speech bubbbles.

If there are lots of speech bubbles in one panel like a conversation between two or more people or just one person talking.

If there are speech bubbles wiht a side coment. top right pannel http://boysandbees.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/pockmarks.jpg?w=50

If it's like this: bottom pannel.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there is any consistancy in how these are placed. In the Japanese, they are working around the art work in some cases. In the translated version, they also have to cope with the original text being vertical in many cases. I suspect they often just put the baloon where they can find space.

What I do is read it both ways if something seems odd. Usually it works out. The context will sort it out for you.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I always go diagonally starting at the top right of any panel. Aside text or text in a bubble, it doesn't matter. If it's a scene where there are many people talking at once, like in your second example, then I don't worry about it as much; the voices are supposed to be jumbled anyway.

Alan45 wrote:
I suspect they often just put the baloon where they can find space.

...speaking from my experience with the DMG, we don't just add in bubbles wherever we want. We use the original bubbles, so the placement is the same. Most of the time, the horizontal text fits into the more-vertical bubbles just fine. I would assume that other manga companies are not big on adding in bubbles either...
Shinmigumi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
thank you for the helpful information. It will take me a while be fore i fully get a hang of reading manga.
XTREEMMAK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
This looks interesting Smile
I'll be sure to look at it in more detail a little later!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1