• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: White Pirates, Black Pirates?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonmonter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
antonmonter wrote:
Why TV networks in America have to edit (sensor) when an anime character smokes? In cartoons there are a lot of characters that smoke, and they aren't edited. Just to put an example I remember that in The Simpsons a lot of characters smoke (Bart's teacher, and Marge's sisters). What is the explanation to this difference in criteria to edit? I don't understand.

Simpsons airs in prime time, and is aimed at something between a family and adult audience. Most of the anime you're making reference to air during children's hours, and the consumption of alcohol & tobacco is kind of a no-no for children's shows. Need remind you that Adult Swim makes no such edits in their anime for substance use, because they are aimed at an adult audience?

Excuse me for the distrust. I trough the edits were done because of the Xenophobia. Rolling Eyes
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
antonmonter wrote:
Why TV networks in America have to edit (sensor) when an anime character smokes?

They didn't censor it in Digimon.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
antonmonter wrote:
Why TV networks in America have to edit (sensor) when an anime character smokes?

Really?? When?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
Aresef wrote:
antonmonter wrote:

Really?? When?

Around the mid episodes of the first season with T.K.'s dad. I heard it was a rush job so Saban forgot to edit some stuff. Rolling Eyes
B33

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The hilarious thing is, the one piece dub has the same ratings as a show on disney channel called "jo jo". In fact "jo jo" sometimes beats it. And 4kids loses tons of money because they keep editing everything. Plus one piece is a huge franchise and anime property.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
antonmonter wrote:
Excuse me for the distrust. I trough the edits were done because of the Xenophobia. Rolling Eyes

There's no such thing as xenophobia towards smoking. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop 4Kids actually doesn't exhibit xenophobia in any way. They make their changes because they feel their way is the best way for them to make money, not out of any fear towards Japanese culture. I can't help but laugh when people think that a company that has to work with Japanese companies on a daily bases, pass changes by Japanese executives for approval, and even take trips to Japan to make deals on new titles is xenophobic. That's just absurd!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
antonmonter wrote:

not to mention all the satanic references they didn't censor.
takuhii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quote
MibuKotaro wrote:
Okay I don't understand this though why did 4Kids decide this one black character was racist but the one in Shaman King isn't. like really they look pretty identical. Anyway as someone else mentioned its not intended to offend its just another wierd character that has come from the wonders of anime. Seriously if someone wants to get offended over this then next thing someone will sue ADV for Excel being blonde and pushing the dumb blonde stereotype.

OH COME ON. This is about as racist as a very unracist thing... You may as well say that putting clowns in an anime is offensive to mimes, or that portraying people as feline (Ani and Uni Puma from Tank Police) is offensive to cats... Racism is a sticky issue and I DO NOT condone it in any shape or form, but I wouldn't find this offensive. I think the bigger issue here is that the show is showing a more racist angle now because there are NO coloured people in it what-so-ever. Come on America, there is political correctness and there is taking the p*ss!!
takuhii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:21 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Aresef wrote:
antonmonter wrote:

not to mention all the satanic references they didn't censor.

did they censor Spike and Jet smoking in Cowboy Bebop (I know it's not a 4kids series, I was just asking out of curiosity folks...)?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:38 am Reply with quote
B33 wrote:
And 4kids loses tons of money because they keep editing everything.

Actually, I'd wager that they're losing money on One Piece because-

1. The series itself, with its designs and even concept is just generally too odd, even for a show for kids. It wouldn't appeal to smaller kids because it's too on-going, and it would appeal to older kids because it's too childish-looking. The bizzare factor comes in when you consider how "unique" some of the things are (Best example would be in Alabaster, and someone who's more knowledgeable than me can help me out, the male-tutu wearing ballerina who runs up walls. Umm.. kay?)

2. 4Kids just isn't promoting it right, from what I can see from the adverts and what not (assuming Australian CN ads are the same as the US ones, which they probably are). They're marketting it as an adventure series, possibly with silly hyjinks and other crap. Not to say that it isn't, infact they're probably dead on, however what I believe would sell One Piece better is if they emphasised moreso on the fighting and such that took place in the series. Alas, they don't, so whatever.

Quote:
the controversy could have been a boost in raitings since people would tune in to see what's going on

Contraversy would only work if there was something actually worth watching, which there isn't. It's one black person, turned into somewhat not-as-black.
AncientSummoner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
[quote="Steventheeunuch"]
B33 wrote:
And 4kids loses tons of money because they keep editing everything.

Actually, I'd wager that they're losing money on One Piece because-

1. The series itself, with its designs and even concept is just generally too odd, even for a show for kids. It wouldn't appeal to smaller kids because it's too on-going, and it would appeal to older kids because it's too childish-looking. The bizzare factor comes in when you consider how "unique" some of the things are (Best example would be in Alabaster, and someone who's more knowledgeable than me can help me out, the male-tutu wearing ballerina who runs up walls. Umm.. kay?)

The male-tutu wearing ballerina youre refering to is Mr.2 aka Bon Clay-sama. he ate the Mane Mane Fruit which gives him the ability to transform into anything he touches. He can remember all the faces he touched and can transform to it anytime he wants. his Seiyuu is Kazuki Yao, who portrays the voice for Bonclay very very well.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
takuhii wrote:
I think the bigger issue here is that the show is showing a more racist angle now because there are NO coloured people in it what-so-ever.

Oh please, stop saying stuff that isn't true, people might actually believe you. There are plenty of black people still left in the series by 4Kids, they even left in Miss. Monday who not only is black but could easily be seen as a transvestite too!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
takuhii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
takuhii wrote:
I think the bigger issue here is that the show is showing a more racist angle now because there are NO coloured people in it what-so-ever.

Oh please, stop saying stuff that isn't true, people might actually believe you. There are plenty of black people still left in the series by 4Kids, they even left in Miss. Monday who not only is black but could easily be seen as a transvestite too!

Emerje

My apologises, my comments were unfounded. I don't watch on-piece and merely assumed they re-coloured him as he was the only coloured guy in the series. I apologise to anyone I may have offended by my stupidity...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
takuhii wrote:
did they censor Spike and Jet smoking in Cowboy Bebop (I know it's not a 4kids series, I was just asking out of curiosity folks...)?

As I said above:

I wrote:
Need remind you that Adult Swim makes no such edits in their anime for substance use, because they are aimed at an adult audience?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Usopp is black, or milato if you have to be so PC about it.

I would have to disagree with this; in the manga Usopp has exactly the same skin tone as the other characters (ie white). Have a look at the colour manga pictures, I mean.
In the anime, his skin is often the same orangey tinge Luffy seems to have, but on some occassions it even has a rather euchy green tinge to it. A bit of a tan at the most.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11