• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Motto To Love-Ru -Trouble- Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
Uhh, they responded to my e-mail with "who said [we] skipped them"?

So they may actually have them.

Just curious, was that through the "Contact" area on the website, or did you e-mail the info@ address directly? They generally don't seem to respond to anything I send.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
goddamit sentai please slow down abit , in the last 12 months i swear they have licensed more anime for release than every other licensing company combined and im sure this isnt an exaggeration.

We love anime and we love you guys for releasing so much but with this many shows how can you expect us to be able to afford to buy them all.

It certainly must be more cheaper than i thought to license an anime and release subtitle only because this is crazy.

Also i too would liek to start seeing some Subtitle only blurays , perhaps test the water with a big show, perhaps a re-release of one of the bigger selling subtitled releases that still isn't pushing dub numbers.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
goddamit sentai please slow down abit , in the last 12 months i swear they have licensed more anime for release than every other licensing company combined and im sure this isnt an exaggeration.

We love anime and we love you guys for releasing so much but with this many shows how can you expect us to be able to afford to buy them all.

It certainly must be more cheaper than i thought to license an anime and release subtitle only because this is crazy.

Also i too would liek to start seeing some Subtitle only blurays , perhaps test the water with a big show, perhaps a re-release of one of the bigger selling subtitled releases that still isn't pushing dub numbers.

I know the feeling bro but to love ru is a small hit for them so they know people like me that payed 60 dollars total for the sets will buy this one. It's not like they are taking a shot in the dark here and i am rather happy to legally own the dvd's now.. it means more hard drive space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
burnpsy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I asked through the contact form on their site. My e-mail also mentioned The Familiar of Zero F. Their response was that one line.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
They should have dubbed this one
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Not Bluray? Are they kidding? This has been old in Japan for awhile.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Obviously the sales of the first didn't impress them enough to go after BD rights. Not my kind of show, but I hope it sells well for them.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Obviously the sales of the first didn't impress them enough to go after BD rights. Not my kind of show, but I hope it sells well for them.

I think it's the opposite, it was even on the anime network on demand for a long time. The problem is the blurays still are selling well in japan but this is good enough for me. A series like this doesn't need to much attention if you catch my drift...lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So... anime licensing companies are perfect fonts of infallible knowledge? Stranger things have happened. Media-Blasters thought they'd released everything there was of Green Green, until people on the Anime on DVD forums asked them about the "Erolutions" OVA.

And really, it's not so much lecturing as questioning going on here. If they did have the OVA, as burnpsy's e-mail implies, why announce the later TV series first? Why not announce the entries in order, or all at once? Unless of course they're trying to stir up interest and controversy by making fans think they've skipped the OVAs, in which case they've scored a reasonable success.

I guess it's not unfeasible, especially since it has happened before (but with a different company), but I still find it highly unlikely, especially when they have people paid to do this research and work with the Japanese companies. Also, a lot of this info can be found easily on ANN or wikipedia nowadays (not that wiki is the end-all, be-all of sources that's entirely accurate, but fans seem to be pretty passionate about their entertainment and put forth the effort of getting the info up and accessible).

And I don't know about you but, "Hello To Love-Ru OVA?? Don't these guy do their research?" sounds more like reproach than simple questioning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
And my heart just exploded when Motto To Love-Ru -Trouble- was licensed.

But seriously, skipping the OVAs? Are Sentai Filmworks trying to gain a reputation to be known to skip a season or two (or skipping the OVAs)? It baffles me. :/
JHawkNH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:

This leads me to believe that someone else already holds the rights to the OAV's and just never released them. Doesn't Funnimation own the rights to the first season of To Love-Ru?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
JHawkNH wrote:
burnpsy wrote:

This leads me to believe that someone else already holds the rights to the OAV's and just never released them. Doesn't Funnimation own the rights to the first season of To Love-Ru?

No Sentai has the rights for the first season of To Love-Ru.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
JHawkNH wrote:
burnpsy wrote:

No Sentai has the rights for the first season of To Love-Ru.

Yup. They're currently airing the first season on The Anime Network VOD service right now.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:

This answer by the way will probaly be the answer to just about every show over the last 5 years. Its just a simple we cannot confirm or deny. Its just Press Speak.

It means they could have them as well as not which is precisely why they use it. Keeping it open. Because a negative reaction is just not good buisness. They want to stay friendly to the Customers and this is the best term.

In My Opinion they probably do have them and may even hold them back for a complete series set and try to get people to double dip. Abit mean of me to say to a great company like Sentai, but hey if i was in this buisness and it was my money on the line its what i would do.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
According to RightStuf Int., seems that Sentai Filmworks is releasing Motto To Love-Ru -Trouble- on DVDs on April 3. Smile That's alot quicker after licensing this anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3