• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clannad: Complete Collection Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Good or not, I simply cannot watch this series because those character designs. I have never seen more unattractive character designs in FOREVER. Especially since they are supposed to be attractive but aren't. This is a major problem in all of Key's works. This is whay happens when you take Moë too far.

What's the matter? 'Dem big ol' anime eyes scare you? Anime hyper

Anyway, I'm surprised people go into such heated discussions about Clannad every time it's brought up here. Is it all just pomp and circumstance fashioned together to basically say you were disappointed with this offering from KyoAni? Granted I still have yet to finish After Story, so I can't form a 100% yes or no opinion about the series.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's the matter? 'Dem big ol' anime eyes scare you?

No, it's the faces. I can't exactly tell what, but the faces of Key characters seriously triggers the uncanny valley in me. They just look so.....fish-eyed. It's disturbing.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

No, it's the faces. I can't exactly tell what, but the faces of Key characters seriously triggers the uncanny valley in me. They just look so.....fish-eyed. It's disturbing.

So you are saying the faces look too realistic?
Your first line says it is not about the eyes then your last line says it is about the eyes. What the hell.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Your first line says it is not about the eyes then your last line says it is about the eyes. What the hell.

he is probably referring to this meme
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

I tend to think in a schozophrenic manner.

I'm also bad at explaining myself. What I meant was that the faces of key characters really are different from the usual face designs in other anime. It just doesn't feel right to me.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

I tend to think in a schozophrenic manner.

I'm also bad at explaining myself. What I meant was that the faces of key characters really are different from the usual face designs in other anime. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Hmm I am done bumping after this but does this look better "it's from the visual novel" if not then if you can't do it then don't. I had the same feeling once however I was able to over come that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, some of the characters are okay, but Nagisa, for example...yeah.

And given how she's the second main-character in the whole show...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
For all the people asking "what's so bad about being blatantly manipulative", what's bad about it is that when you can *tell* the screenplay is going way out of its way to make you cry in extremely hacky, obvious and telegraphed ways, it takes you out of the experience. It's like seeing the strings at a puppet show.

The thing with emotional manipulation is that when it's done carefully and with grace and skilled writing the audience doesn't notice that you're trying to make them cry at any cost and the emotions come from a genuine connection they've created with your characters.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
For all the people asking "what's so bad about being blatantly manipulative", what's bad about it is that when you can *tell* the screenplay is going way out of its way to make you cry in extremely hacky, obvious and telegraphed ways, it takes you out of the experience. It's like seeing the strings at a puppet show.

The thing with emotional manipulation is that when it's done carefully and with grace and skilled writing the audience doesn't notice that you're trying to make them cry at any cost and the emotions come from a genuine connection they've created with your characters.

while I agree clannad was my first dip into a drama/slice of show "besides touch" trying to get into more drama. Being naive as i was "five years ago" I didn't really feel manipulated or pulled along but like most of older anime fans seen. In all honesty If was to watch clannad today for the first time then I would most likely feel like Carl or you do.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Actar wrote:
I never really understood the idea that all good stories must have their characters grow and change. Sure, this might be considered the 'ideal' story-telling and character progression method, but I don't think that all shows need to follow this formula to be good, especially in the case of slice-of-life shows.

Regardless of what it is, all stories need good characters. And good characters change throughout the story. They react and learn to the thigs that happen around them. Even in a slice-of-life (which usually at least have continuity), shouldn't the characters grow from all of their experiences?

After all, real people grow and learn from the things that happen to them. Hell, SOL's should have the most character development because they focus on everyday life.

I definitely agree with you if the show actually puts the characters through events, situations and trials that would cause them to come out the wiser. (Action shows, dramas, etc...)

However, for SOL shows that mainly feature just the daily interactions of characters, it is those interactions and ensuing comedy that are the stars of the show. The characters don't grow or exhibit obvious change, yet are fun to watch nonetheless. Such shows don't need to have growing characters to be enjoyable.

In daily life, I don't believe that people go through so much that it results in any visible change or character growth, especially the show only spans a short period of time.
kufirst

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Preach it brother!
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:
All I'm just trying to get across is that if arguably Clannad is being manipulative, then basically every romance story with a bit of tragedy involved should also be labelled as such.

The issue here is not about romance stories being manipulative, it's whether you feel like you're being manipulated.

And that was the initial point I made in my first post. I don't feel I was being manipulated. So I think it's unfair that the reviewer almost disregards all the fans who actually enjoyed the characters and events, simply passing it off as them being manipulated.

Zac wrote:

And for a lot of people (whether certain individuals agree with it or not), Clannad did exactly that.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Re: burn it all... The review is the review, and the reviewer's opinions are just that... so those who disagree can just take heart that Clannad is the number-1 viewer-rated show on ANN, despite the discordant C-minus story rating here.

Re: character designs... I have to agree. Anime designs are all a bit odd, but the bottoms of the eyes sloping downward from the nose... the space between the eyes being that much wider than the freakishly-wide eyes themselves... the bottoms of the eyes being in line with the mouth, even when the mouth is closed... Key characters all look like the abandoned love children of a "normal" anime character and Spielberg's E.T.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Yeah dude. When things are obviously sad its stupid to cry. Its better to cry when things don't seem so sad. Wait, what?

----

Anyways guys, most of the reviewers on ANN don't like key anime that much (nor do they seem to completely hate it). It's ok though, that doesn't mean you can't love it to your hearts content. Look at the past reviews, did you really think their opinions were going to change much from before? No point in raging about it though, its not like they gave it an F. Plus Clannad and After Story are like ranked in the top 10 on MAL, highly on ANN, and highly on AP. So be happy. You are obviously not alone in liking these anime and just because some people don't doesn't make it any less good or bad.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
so those who disagree can just take heart that Clannad is the number-1 viewer-rated show on ANN, despite the discordant C-minus story rating here.

That's the follow-up series, After Story.

I personally rate Clannad (without After Story) the lowest of the Key trio because it honestly doesn't have that big emotional climax (despite what the reviewer thinks). Nagisa being on stage and having her parents' support wasn't all that enthralling. We already knew that they would support her and the scene itself wasn't even that well done. No, the emotional climax of Clannad doesn't come till much later in After Story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7