• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd wish L vs. Light congrats for the win, but I'm a sore loser (though I never voted). This tournament was rigged long before it started and seemed a complete waste of time. "Seemed" being the word of point.

For a rigged competition, for a while it looked pretty close to the Kouga and Iga clans winning the whole thing. L and Light won by a mere 2 votes.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Oh, I remember. Smile The Duo tournament remains my favorite.

Speaking of which: over the course of these tournaments, someone throws together an Excel file of the brackets, but I've never seen any completed. Do they exist? If so, would you by chance have a copy of each?

I've a pet project I may tackle. Smile

"Throws together". That makes me laugh. The spreadsheet I use to keep track of information for these tournaments has grown to the point where it's over 1 megabyte in size by the finals. I only post a cut down version because it's primarily for the purpose of letting people follow the minigame scores.

I make a list of how many people have seen each show and its rating from the encyclopedia at the start of the tournament. I record how many people vote each round, and which day of the week they voted on. I've got a tally of how many people expected which entry to advance each round. And then there's the actual results, of course.

Duos Tournament
Most Intelligent Tournament
Hero Tournament
Supporting Character Tournament (this one was actually posted at the end of its tournament)
Team Tournament
Coolest Tournament
Rivals Tournament
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
"Throws together". That makes me laugh.

Damn, no wonder! These are the first in-depth spread sheets I've ever seen!
Shocked

I've got my work... pretty much done for me. Time to mine a little deeper.

Thanks for sharing. When I get some spare time, I'll throw together some composite stats.

It'll be interesting to see how things turn out. Remember all: this is only for fun!

*throws a smoke bomb and disappears
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
LOL, I just can't win in these mini-games! I guess it just proves that I don't watch enough anime or know enough about its fandom. On the bright side, I can always use the results to prove that I'm not as obsessed with anime as most people think I am! Laughing
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
This new season has me thinking of a different type of tournament.

Best First Episode

Is it plausible? Too limiting to TV series? How should the quality of the rest of show factor in?
Still, a lot rest on the first episode and these days it seems extreme in the heights that studios will go in grabbing the attention of the viewer. It could be a worthy exercise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Actually, something like that might be interesting. We've always done character-focused ones, but an episode-focused one could be a great change of pace. Could be very interesting to see how that goes, too, since not every series which has a great first episode turns out to ultimately be a great series and not every series which ends up being a classic starts out great.

I'll be starting a new thread for picking a topic once the Winter Preview Guide is done (i.e. probably this time next week), so keep that in mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I like that idea, myself, Key. It definitely would be a good change of pace.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Best First Episode

Is it plausible?

I wouldn't participate and I say this only because people voiced their opinions in the last tournament that, when it came to voting, "They didn't see it, so they're going with what others voted."

Since there's no way to validate people having seen the first episode, I'll just do what I always do: place in recommendations and watch them fizzle on the first round.
Razz

Update on the Excel compilation: yeah, I decided it wasn't worth the time, effort, or energy to placate an expectation.

Oblivion's just too much fun to stop playing for this.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
The idea of not doing a character-focused tournament is interesting, so I put forward my proposal: Anime with the best storytelling. This one will not be limited to TV series and while the idea of doing the best first episodes tournament is interesting, I wonder how many people have a clear recollection of the first episode of shows they watched. I at least rarely remember well particular episodes of even my favourite shows. A tournament about best storytelling will put the emphasis on the general impression of the whole show, which I think is more readily remembered.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I find the idea of a non-character based tournament very appealing. Beyond that what catches my attention most is Best Leader and Best Mentor, but Best Leader would be the same characters as almost every other tournament.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
The problem with a best storytelling tournament would be that it would absolutely require spoilers. You can't judge how good storytelling is without knowing the ending, after all.

I actually think the first episode one is worth considering, because it wouldn't necessarily be spoiler-heavy. At very least, it's probably the most viable option for a non-character-based tournament that we've ever had. There are obvious kinks to be worked on but I would be willing to try it out at least.
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Actually, something like that might be interesting. We've always done character-focused ones, but an episode-focused one could be a great change of pace. Could be very interesting to see how that goes, too, since not every series which has a great first episode turns out to ultimately be a great series and not every series which ends up being a classic starts out great.

I'll be starting a new thread for picking a topic once the Winter Preview Guide is done (i.e. probably this time next week), so keep that in mind.

I'm not too familiar with how we choose a new tournament from the options available because I've never been part of the process for some reason (probably because I've never remained in the tournament from start to finish). But I presume that it is a majority vote or a general concensus type selection?? Forgive my ignorance in this area...
Also, I was looking up the Best Duo Tournament as it pre-dated my inclusion as part of the ANN family, but I was thinking of a tournament along the lines of a Best Couple or Best Romantic Development or anything related to said ideas. I'm not so sure if this kind of topic is viable though...

[EDIT] - I just laughed really hard. In the time it took me to post this, marie-antoinette made a valid point that could negate my idea. But that being said, to a certain extent, doesn't everyone expect spoilers in these tournaments. I mean, how can anyone go on long winded diatribes about this and that to express how much they love a certain character(s) and how anyone who doesn't agree with them is misguided without the use of spoilers?? (Lets face it people, I've never seen soo much groupie love amassed in a localised area as these tournaments... except maybe a Justin Bieber concert...) That's what I believe anyway...
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
The great thing about a Best First Episode tournament is that it will encourage me to watch the first episodes of series I haven't seen. Not only will it be a relatively easy task but I'll watch nominations I would never have planned to, and, I'm even likely to find something I'll watch right through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Is it only going to be limited to the first episode? Because that seems difficult. How much can one analyse a single episode?

And does the first movie of Break Blade count as an 'episode'? What about Figure 17, whose episodes were double-length?
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Is it only going to be limited to the first episode? Because that seems difficult. How much can one analyse a single episode?

And does the first movie of Break Blade count as an 'episode'? What about Figure 17, whose episodes were double-length?

Anyways the practical one aren't we?? Although, I can't fault you for your logic. Logistics need to be considered in this case and discussion of one episode can only go so far as dtm42 pointed out. Good job sir.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I could see series based tournaments working, but I would prefer something less subjective than best storytelling since everyone has a different set of things they look for in a show. A similar but more targeted idea that could would Most Well Written. I know Key and a few of the more literary minded people would eat this up. I also think this would be slightly less subjective since you are looking at the technical merits of the writing than something obtuse like best storytelling even though they essentially mean similar things.

Other series based ideas I could see working would be Most Realistic, Most Thought Provoking, or even Most Original, although I could see how that last one could lead to very divided results. Now that I think about it even more we could even hold tournament about which series most adhered to a certain archetype, Biggest Tearjerker, Biggest Mindf***( Most Confusing if you want keep it G rated), or Most Dystopian.

That being said, I still think we have a few solid character based options, such as Biggest Loser, Best Leader, or Biggest Jerk. I would also stay away from ideas that limit the tournament to analyzing only one episode unless you wanted to expand it to Best First Impression since some of us would naturally look beyond just the first episode in our head. Plus one episode is very restrictive and gives very little content to work with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 38