• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Studios Voice Actress Revealed as IMDB Plaintiff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
...after IMDb posted her age based on credit card information from her subscription to the IMDbPro service.

After reading that, my opinion of her odds of getting something from this lawsuit just went up.

That said, since when does ones credit card information include their age?

Last I checked, websites can use your credit card verification as a verification of your age by using the birthdate that's attached to the card. However, I don't think that the websites you give your credit card information to should get away with publicly posting that information without your permission.

Therefore, I feel that she's going to get something out of this suit, even if it's a settlement, and she deserves every dollar she gets.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
...after IMDb posted her age based on credit card information from her subscription to the IMDbPro service.

After reading that, my opinion of her odds of getting something from this lawsuit just went up.

That said, since when does ones credit card information include their age?

Yeah, weird. From the credit bureaus mayhaps? But why would IMDbPro need to check that?

Anyways, actors and actresses play out of their ages all the time. Mid-20s (or even older) Japanese actresses play high school girls often, for example. But it gets harder for actresses the older they get, compared to actors, who tend to have a longer shelf-life (actors in their 40s could still be cast for roles in 20s). A lot of times, casting directors only get a piece of paper with a non-renowned actress' resume and photo, but once they discover the age starts with 4-, they automatically discount her from younger roles she may be applying for, before throwing the paper into the trash. (Let's face it: older women are stereotypically assumed to look their age more than older men and thus don't have the same appeal.)

Also, IIRC job interviewers are not allowed to ask applicants' ages, so if an applicant doesn't want to reveal it, the applicant is allowed not to let the interviewer know, unless he/she gets hired first. Obviously, interviewers would do background checks on applicants. But in today's economy with many middle-aged workers getting laid off and competing against younger applicants for entry-level positions, many can be sensitive about revealing their exact ages because age discrimination does in fact happen in hiring.

So if someone didn't give a professional website her age and doesn't want them to reveal her age, then it's not up to them to reveal her age. Many actors' and voice actresses' agency website profiles also just put the actresses' birth dates but not the years. So if they don't want it revealed, then they shouldn't have to.

And oh, BTW, guess this means ANN's entry of her is wrong. Laughing
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
It really freaks me out that so much personal information is easily available to the public. I have an unusual name and when I do a Google search you can find out my phone number, age, and street address VERY easily. Hell there's even a link to close-up satellite pictures of my house. Scary! I can understand her frustration. I've tried to go sites with my info (like Whitepages.com) and request to have my personal information removed and it is... for a few weeks and then it pops back up again.

I doubt it, but maybe this case will help protect other people's privacy too.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Mid-20s (or even older) Japanese actresses play high school girls often, for example.
They do this all the time in non-Japanese stuff, too. Or they used to, I don't know. Don't watch much TV and whatnot anymore, especially not "teen" stuff.
Angryduck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
Here's the deal. They shouldn't have lifted her age from her credit card details. They can verrify her age for legal reasons, but posting it on her profile for the public to see based on that info is wrong.
This is the only reason why she'd get something, and like another poster said, she deserves it for that reason alone.

As for her claims of age discrimination: If you're good, it doesn't matter. Talent seems to be something a lot of American voice actors lack. That isn't the opinion of an anime snob claiming "dubs are bad", it's just sort of a sad fact. VA work in Japan is serious business, it seems that only video game companies in the US seem to agree, talent is required for this job.

Specifically her live action work has been abysmal, and that is nothing to do with her age. I'll leave that, I'm no talent scout.

The crux of this whole thing is a violation of privacy and publicly displaying info she thought was for private business use. She might be an awful actress, but that isn't the real issue.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
Angryduck and a few others pretty much have it right. If IMDB pro obtained her personal information from their business dealings with her, then posting that information is unethical and possibly a violation of their privacy policy, which sadly does not outright cover this situation (they don't actually say they won't share your information with the public). It may also be illegal, I don't know.

On the other hand, if they obtained her age from another source, there's probably nothing she can do about it. Sadly, "freedom of speech" has long trumped "the right to privacy" in the United States. I'm a firm believer that an individual's private information shouldn't be made public by the press unless it is important that the public be aware of this information.

I try to guide ANN to be a little more respectful of people's privacy, sadly other (often mainstream) press regularly make that a pointless effort.

-t
mannyperson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
Not saying that age discriminations doesn't happen in Hollywood, but if you are a good actor then age isn't a problem (Ok so you may not get the young romantic lead in a movie, but there are roles for people of all ages).

I think that the problem is that many of the bigger roles are going to younger people, even when they were originally written for an older character. Did you know that Blake Lively's role in The Town was written for an older woman (I think in her 30s)? This actress isn't the only person complaining about the lack of roles for older women in Hollywood. She looks ridiculously young, but when casting directors hear her age, they'll often immediately disregard her in a pinch.

Plenty of older actresses have addressed this. For the most part, if you're older, you have to have a big name, like Meryl Streep, to get the roles coming in.
Angryduck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Plenty of older actresses have addressed this. For the most part, if you're older, you have to have a big name, like Meryl Streep, to get the roles coming in.

Yeah, but the reason performers like Streep, Dench and Sarandon have a name now is because they were good when they were in their 20s, 30s, and 40s.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Female age discrimination (among other things) is overwhelming in Hollywood, I can't believe people are even trying to downplay it. Irregardless of the level of subjective success this specific actress has accomplished in her career, she had a reason to be concerned for both her given name and for her age to be made public, as both would severely limit the roles whoever is flipping through the resumes would consider her for. If she intentionally wanted that information withheld to better her chances at finding work, from what I understand she had every right to expect that through IMDb. Instead, as she paid the website to set up an online resume for her, they went against her wishes and obtained and posted information that they shouldn't have been posting by presumably breaching her right to privacy.

In the end, many will agree that IMDb was in the wrong, and she has a legitimate legal case.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with Angryduck. I hate to criticize someone so harshly, but Junie Hoang has a few clips on her website and on youtube that showcase her acting ability... it's not good at all. Her privacy was violated and she deserves to get money because of that, but her lack of work is probably due to her not being part SAG even after being in the business for so long (Not trying to downplay ageism in Hollywood which is a very real problem.) Her profile on IMDB says she has a few degrees under her belt and is actually talented in other areas. I would think she would pursue a career in something where she is very skilled.

Last edited by chrisb on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
So it's Amazon's fault for ruining her direct-to-DVD bargain bin career(at least for live action movies)? Sounds like her career didn't even attempt to take off.

As for her age, why not try to get over it? You don't see others whine as they get older. Sounds like she is whining about not getting roles for a 20 year old woman when she's really 40.

As for her VA career, that's not really a resume to be proud of.

But how do you know that her resume isn't partially due to age discrimination? Choice parts could have been given to the younger applicants.

I heard on the radio about middle aged prospectives going in for procedures to make them look younger to be considered eligible for jobs.

http://www.kentuckyinjurylawblog.com/2011/11/employment_discrimination_case.html

Age and appearance discrimination is prob more common than we realize.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angryduck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
@Spoofer: Age discrimination is only an issue in mainstream "Hollywood". Indie productions are more and more prevalent now, which means things with substance are getting made. Is it the big pay cheque that being a big shot movie star would get that entices people? Or the actual art of performing? The bigger issue is that mainstream film/tv writes stereotypes for characters. That means attractive, young Asian women who can cartwheel! (see: Lucy Lu)
Let's not forget that mainstream = basically a business. Art and substance don't usually enter into things. (see: Michael Bay)
Money does.

Solution: I don't have one aside from some sort of benevolent dictator rising up and taking over everything. For this fantasy we will assume that this dictator has a passion for film and art. They enjoy language and a wide range of genres. This great overlord/lady would then dictate what would get funding and what would not. Films with more "minority" actors who are not Halle Berry and Lucy Lu would be produced. I would be happy and live under the rule of this imaginary ruler. Especially because of the genetically engineered unicorns that they would bring into existence. How could this be a bad thing?

Irregardless implies a double negative and is not an English word. Regardless and Irrespective are acceptable replacements.
Angryduck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

But how do you know that her resume isn't partially due to age discrimination? Choice parts could have been given to the younger applicants.

I heard on the radio about middle aged prospectives going in for procedures to make them look younger to be considered eligible for jobs.

http://www.kentuckyinjurylawblog.com/2011/11/employment_discrimination_case.html

Age and appearance discrimination is prob more common than we realize.

Because ADV dubbed Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 over 11 years ago? Which would have put her around 28-29... Not saying that ageism isn't a thing, I just think that it's an excuse for people. Join the SAG, focus on things you're actually good at and maybe you'll be recognised. Can't call the PC Police every time you don't get a job because you're an actress over 30.
Just so it's out there, I'm female. I am an audio engineer and camera technician. I'm under 30, so maybe I don't understand.
mannyperson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Angryduck wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, but the reason performers like Streep, Dench and Sarandon have a name now is because they were good when they were in their 20s, 30s, and 40s.

Of course. But look at the ratio of young actresses who are getting work in Hollywood, to older actresses who are getting work. Also, it's easier for younger actresses to nab roles meant for older ones. It's also easier to build your name up as a younger actress than as an older one.

I'm not familiar with this actress's work, so I can't really vouch for her. My main point is that Hollywood generally ain't a place for older actors, so I understand why she's making a big deal over her age being revealed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for her claims of age discrimination: If you're good, it doesn't matter. Talent seems to be something a lot of American voice actors lack. That isn't the opinion of an anime snob claiming "dubs are bad", it's just sort of a sad fact. VA work in Japan is serious business, it seems that only video game companies in the US seem to agree, talent is required for this job.

I wasn't talking about her VA work when I made that comment (I haven't even heard any of her work). I think that she should get money for her privacy being violated, but saying having her age being know is the reason she isn't getting work to me sounds more like an excuse to make her feel better about not making it big in Hollywood.

And as for your comments about how video game companies hired VA that have talent and anime companies don't, it is an opinion of an anime snob; if you are going to make comments like that at least admit you are a snob and stop living in denial about it, be proud of you snobbery! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3