• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Doraemon And World War II

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smutchi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
Someone told me about an article he read, in a Chinese Magazine I think, which said that the whole Doraemon series is a metaphor connected to WW II.

If I remember correctly he told me that because the U.S. had such a big influence on Japan after WW II, especially in politics, Japanese people/culture started to be kind of "childish" or laid back and just let the U.S. take care of everything.
The article apparently said that Doraemon represents that attitude and that in this series Japan is the helpless boy and the U.S. are the robot who helps the boy (I didn't see the anime or read the manga BTW).

Have you ever heard of something like that?
Are there other series that are (not just contain) metaphors?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
Someone told me about an article he read, in a Chinese Magazine I think, which said that the whole Doraemon series is a metaphor connected to WW II.

Let me know where to find this article. I'd like to read it myself.

Some of them are ridiculous rants by hot-blooded college kids (fenqing, 愤青). For example, "Keroro is a metaphor of Japanese military trying to conquer the world, for he wears a typical hat worn by Japanese soldiers during WW2."

smutchi wrote:
If I remember correctly he told me that because the U.S. had such a big influence on Japan after WW II, especially in politics, Japanese people/culture started to be kind of "childish" or laid back and just let the U.S. take care of everything.

That statement is not wrong, yet...

smutchi wrote:
(I didn't see the anime or read the manga BTW)

...please do so first.

smutchi wrote:
Have you ever heard of something like that?

No. If so, Doraemon would not be the most popular manga for the past three decades in each and every East Asian country Japan had invaded during WW2.

smutchi wrote:
Are there other series that are (not just contain) metaphors?

Works of Kaiji Kawaguchi have much more right-wing agenda and Japanese superiority clearly visible, not just metaphors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1