• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anime subtitles?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bioztar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Ai'm new here and aive always had an unresolved problem which ai would like to post here.(having searched for such a thread on this forum and found no mention of it.)

I did quite a lot of searching on the net for this but found nothing decent.

Does anyone know any site with database of anime subtitles, ai knnow its not the usual thing to do (search for anime subs alone) but aive had quite some problems arund this topic. There's always some "rare" anime which is quite hard to find and dl... and usually you dont always get them with english subs , if any subs at all. So if someone knows and big db of anime subtitles (maybe be even from some fansub group which usually makes releases with embeded subs) your help would be greatly apriciated...

an example is Niea_7 - no subs(at least thats the release ai have)

PS: no, and there is no pssibility of buying a dvd at the place ai live.
crion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
If you're looking for subtitles and translated scripts, you may want to check out http://www.scriptclub.org . This site has a repository of scripts - you still need to have the actual video material of course.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
bioztar wrote:

an example is Niea_7 - no subs(at least thats the release ai have)

PS: no, and there is no pssibility of buying a dvd at the place ai live.

Online stores do wonders.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
You're not a native English speaker, are you?
bioztar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

no, aim not... why?

concerned with my use of "ai" insted of "I"?

Starwind Amada wrote:

Indeed they do, though shipping is the easiest part ... the real skullf*ckin starts when u get to deal with brainless $%(/&O=0 custums. AIve already had a chance to expiriencwe such masochistic pleasures of live as ordering from abroad and dont plan to speak to any custom f*ckin workers anytme soon.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
bioztar wrote:
one3rd wrote:

no, aim not... why?

You know that kind of style isn't going to make you any unique or special in this forum. I know where you're taking it, you're converting the pronounciation in a Japanese romaji kind of style. Ai = I, mi = me, mai = my. There's no point really, it's really silly as well because you have to type more and maybe also type "I" first and then go back and correct it to your "ai", which is totally unnecessary. This is an English language forum anyway.
Oh yeah, "ai" can also mean love as well. E.g. "aishiteru" or "wo ai ni". Laughing

Quote:
Quote:
Starwind Amada wrote:

Indeed they do, though shipping is the easiest part ... the real skullf*ckin starts when u get to deal with brainless $%(/&O=0 custums. AIve already had a chance to expiriencwe such masochistic pleasures of live as ordering from abroad and don't plan to speak to any custom f*ckin workers anytme soon.

I have the same situation as you do. I live outside the states and I usually get customs anyway, but now I know better and thus more selective in ordering from stores. You got to play your cards right when buying from the stores. If I buy my anime from my own country (if any available that I want), it's even more expensive than buying from online.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bioztar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:

You know that kind of style isn't going to make you any unique or special in this forum. I know where you're taking it, you're converting the pronounciation in a Japanese romaji kind of style. Ai = I, mi = me, mai = my. There's no point really, it's really silly as well because you have to type more and maybe also type "I" first and then go back and correct it to your "ai", which is totally unnecessary. This is an English language forum anyway.
Oh yeah, "ai" can also mean love as well. E.g. "aishiteru" or "wo ai ni". Laughing

You know , ai actually never thought of it in that way when ai first started writing it so about five years ago... AI don even remember why ai started writing ai... but now its a little other way round : when writing formal documents aid usually have to go back and delete all the a's . Sometime ago ai tryed changing ai to I while fast typing ; it was when ai found out that ai means Lo*e - the most disgusting(and the most overused ) word of any language. I type fast so one or two charecters really dont macke much of a diference; its not like aim trying to write in |337 H4X0r type of writing.

PS: Ai really prefer to watch anime in original with eng subs and oficcial dvd's are not availble but a few moovies/series which are not only "not the best" thing anime could offer but as well translated disgustingly(compared to fansub version)... translators should have gotten thir heads chopped of 4 such translations... as well ai could get loads of pirated cd's... which are; the same fansubs but burnt to cd's with added national subs... - with that language aim not really on friendly terms. - and that wouldnt help anime industry any eather...

PPS: though this is all off topic discussion.. Somebody knows any other sites?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
bioztar wrote:
You know , ai actually never thought of it in that way when ai first started writing it so about five years ago... AI don even remember why ai started writing ai... but now its a little other way round : when writing formal documents aid usually have to go back and delete all the a's . Sometime ago ai tryed changing ai to I while fast typing ; it was when ai found out that ai means Lo*e - the most disgusting(and the most overused ) word of any language. I type fast so one or two charecters really don't macke much of a diference; its not like aim trying to write in |337 H4X0r type of writing.

PS: Ai really prefer to watch anime in original with eng subs and oficcial dvd's are not availble but a few moovies/series which are not only "not the best" thing anime could offer but as well translated disgustingly(compared to fansub version)... translators should have gotten thir heads chopped of 4 such translations... as well ai could get loads of pirated cd's... which are; the same fansubs but burnt to cd's with added national subs... - with that language aim not really on friendly terms. - and that wouldnt help anime industry any eather...

PPS: though this is all off topic discussion.. Somebody knows any other sites?

Whatever the reason you do it, your writing quirk is as hideously annoying as "leet" speak. People in this forum are expected to at least try to communicate in regular English; that's one of the forum rules, actually. If you're going to continue to post here, I would suggest that you "translate" yourself before a moderator steps in and forces the issue.

And it sounds like you're requesting fansub sites. That's a big no-no here, too. Fansub elitism won't win you any points with a lot of people around here, either, but that isn't against the rules and you're certainly entitled to your opinion on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:03 am Reply with quote
bioztar wrote:
one3rd wrote:

no, aim not... why?

Starwind Amada wrote:

Indeed they do, though shipping is the easiest part ... the real skullf*ckin starts when u get to deal with brainless $%(/&O=0 custums. AIve already had a chance to expiriencwe such masochistic pleasures of live as ordering from abroad and don't plan to speak to any custom f*ckin workers anytme soon.

If you know "AI" is actually "I". Please use "I", because otherwise it's just incredibly confusing and extremely annoying. And you know what? It'll teach you how to use english properly as well.

When I first got into fora about 5 years ago, I knew jack of english, getting tons of flames for "Kiddy who can't write" and crap with that (Yea people | good writing =/= intelligence). But just typing alot on fora really does wonders. Now I try to use proper english all the time, wherever I am (Irc, Fora, MSN, Games, etc).

So basically, instead of repeating the same mistake all the time while you KNOW it is wrong, try to learn from them instead.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote
bioztar wrote:
Sometime ago ai tryed changing ai to I while fast typing ; it was when ai found out that ai means Lo*e - the most disgusting(and the most overused ) word of any language.

Sorry, but I had to point this out for the sheer "omg im so emo luv is teh sux" hilarity of it. Anime hyper

bioztar wrote:
translated disgustingly(compared to fansub version)... translators should have gotten thir heads chopped of 4 such translations...

I love how anime fans are like freakin' baby birds, attaching themselves to the first thing they see. They watch a fansub first, and then without basis, condemn an official release for being "awful" purely because they saw the fansub first and cannot wrap their heads around the possibility of an equally valid alternate translation or even one superior to their cheap fansubbed copy.

That said, way to overreact over what is likely a perfectly valid official translation, all because the professional and the college bum use different word choices. Rolling Eyes

bioztar wrote:
Somebody knows any other sites?

Don't even TRY asking for fansubs here, pal. Ignoring the rules of these forums is of the best ways to get yourself the boot, so I suggest you take a moment to read them before posting next time. They also just happen to cover your fun little "Ai" vs. "I" bit, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:09 am Reply with quote
Bioztar wrote:

I don't like your attitude.
You're being an elitist, and I don't like those people. Sorry.

Also, I have a little question for you. How would you write "mine", as in the possessive term "mine". Would you write with your "mai" (my), and put it into "maine"? Reading you write "aim" instead of "I'm" can be misleading you know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Where is this oppressive place you live where there is no Anime?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1