• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 40 Year Old Virgin Also an Otaku

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
A recent IMDB article said chicks were more interested in the virgin than dudes.
Lix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:14 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also, romance + sex = love. Romance - sex = some sort of weird fantasy that won't ever exist for you.

So if someone chops off my genitalia or somehow my parts don't work properly, I become incapable of affection.

Good to know. Better keep those love glands safe. <3
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
Lix wrote:
Zac wrote:
Also, romance + sex = love. Romance - sex = some sort of weird fantasy that won't ever exist for you.

So if someone chops off my genitalia or somehow my parts don't work properly, I become incapable of affection.

Good to know. Better keep those love glands safe. <3

There is a difference between Romance and Affection. Much different.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:39 am Reply with quote
I know this is way OT, but I do want to say.. yes, you can have love without sex. Period. It's possible. Sorry. I think those who are so vehemently arguing that it's not possible or is some kind of fantasy are being a bit close-minded.

Anyway.. I still recommend this movie. It's not the macho guy flick the commercials present it as.. it's rather funny and realistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
I know this is way OT, but I do want to say.. yes, you can have love without sex. Period. It's possible.

Rolling Eyes Whatever. Biologically you're fooling yourself. Someone in the relationship at some point will want to have sex.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Whatever. Biologically you're fooling yourself. Someone in the relationship at some point will want to have sex.

Under normal circumstances, with normal people, yes.

However there are people who are physically unable to have sex, and they do someitmes manage to find happiness in relationships.

There are also people with zero sex drive (asexuality).

Obviously there is friction when only one of two people in a relatioship have on of these issues.

-t
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:25 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Zac wrote:
Whatever. Biologically you're fooling yourself. Someone in the relationship at some point will want to have sex.

However there are people who are physically unable to have sex, and they do someitmes manage to find happiness in relationships.

Obviously there is friction when only one of two people in a relatioship have on of these issues.

-t

It's not so much the sex itself as much as sexual attraction. I mean, there other other ways to satisfy those needs other than straight-up intercourse, so as long as the attraction is there everything is fine.

Most people don't want to admit that sexual attraction is an important part of a long term relationship. They deem it shallow or whatever, but it is necessary. You don't have to be supermodels, or even average, it just depends on how you view each other, and of course, how much emphasis you put on it (Nymphos to asexuality, what-have-you)
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Zac wrote:

-t

Thank you, Chris.. that was sort of what I was hinting at. What if both people are disabled? Or maybe one person is disabled, and sure, the other person might want sex, but some (albeit few) would still be willing to settle with that person. What if a religious couple were going out for years, but planned to wait until marriage to have sex, and then died in an accident before they married? Is that to say they never had love? Anyway, I said LOVE without sex, not "healthy long term relationship without sex." No need to get sassy.

Edit: Well, I suppose people in love would plan on a healthy long term relationship.. but well, not everyone has to be healthy.. ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, the Coldplay comment in the film got the loudest negative reaction at the screening I attended...
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Yay for pointless nationalistic egotism!
radicaledward

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AKA, spoiler[the end of Chobits]

I wouldn't define the Virgin as a true anime otaku (I work with one), but he could definitely fall strongly into the comic book "geek". From the looks of the room though, I would say that they did know what they were doing when they set that place up, alot of the "toys" they showed off (e.g. the gaming chair) are the type of thing that just about any single guy living on his own would want.

The movie was quite good though - more than enough in it for both the males and the females to enjoy.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:56 am Reply with quote
Anyone else notice that, although it shows a Playstation in Andy's room in one shot, in another scene, Cal and that other guy are playing Mortal Kombat with N64 controllers? Shocked
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Starwind: Some poster on AICN was saying they intentionally came up with those goofs for the geeks in the audience to take notice.
Anime-Mun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I can honestly say that even though I have not seen the movie yet I'm pretty certain that the whole romance+sex=love thing is completely unfounded and before it is asked, while its no one's business in the first place, I'm not a virgin. But the relationship I'm in now has no basis on sex. It is, I believe, a true love founded upon our hearts which is where love SHOULD come from, not below the waist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
Anime-Mun wrote:
I can honestly say that even though I have not seen the movie yet I'm pretty certain that the whole romance+sex=love thing is completely unfounded and before it is asked, while its no one's business in the first place, I'm not a virgin. But the relationship I'm in now has no basis on sex. It is, I believe, a true love founded upon our hearts which is where love SHOULD come from, not below the waist.
Nobel sentiments, but the fact of the matter is that pretty much any "normal" human requires intimate physical contact as a means of reinforcing a relationship. This isn’t something that people just randomly make up to justify having sexual intercourse for reasons other than trying to have a child either – it is just a simple matter of the fact that sexual intercourse is the most intimate physical gesture that you have with another person and acts as a reinforcing agent in a relationship.

The same basic principal of physical contact carries over into other areas as well for example a hug is a sign of friendship between friends, or a handshake is still seen as a way to seal a deal. Humans by their nature are social creatures that require physical contact in some situations and a long term committed relationship is one of them. If you study some of the reasons why marriages fail you will find that one of the reasons is a lack of sexual intercourse, this isn’t for the reason that one of the partners is “horny” and the other one isn’t, part of it is also the subconscious requirement of the physical contact to reinforce the relationship.

If you ever start to study the various relationships that people have with each other, you will tend to notice that there tends to be a certain age at which sexual intercourse becomes a non-issue, however, at that point the relationship has been reinforced by a good deal of time (typically 30 or more years). However, when the relationship is still young or still fairly new (e.g. married for less than a year) the intimate contact tends to be more necessary to establish and reinforce the relationship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3