• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
40 Year Old Otaku?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
If you see the new Steve Carell movie, you'll notice that among his toys are a Gundam model kit and a DBGt action figure.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
But since it's just a movie, Steve Carell really isn't a virgin (he's married with children) and probably isn't a otaku (those were just set up as props).
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
But since it's just a movie, Steve Carell really isn't a virgin (he's married with children) and probably isn't a otaku (those were just set up as props).

I guess it was the fact that there was anime merchandise in the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
When movie characters start talking about the anime they watch, then we can talk about that. One or two references in a movie isn't worth spending time and bandwidth discussing.
Lum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't really surprise me anymore when there are anime related items seen in movies. Anime has gotten pretty big now and is alot more mainstream than it used to be. Smile
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I just saw it. Effing hilarious. I didn't realize how much vulgarity and obscenity (and bare breasts) there was in that movie until that old guy starting talking about chickens and cats. Wink

My favorite part was where those two Middle Eastern guys go "How come we can't come to the party? What are we, al Qaeda?" I almost peed my pants when I heard that one.

And when I saw the SSJ4 Goku figure, I was like "I KNEW there'd be an anime figure in there somewhere!" Too bad David didn't give him any Urutsukodji DVDs. Cool Who else was looking? My friend thought he saw La Blue Girl. Confused

But just because the producers threw one action figure in there doesn't mean this should be discussed, at least not here. Is there an off-topic forum for this?
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:53 am Reply with quote
If you take a close look at "Be Cool" in one particular scene where Travolta and Thurman are speaking in an office, if you look closely in the backround there are old Great Mazinger, Getter Robo, and Kamen Rider toys. The movie itself was sub-par (in my opinion of course) and full of product placement. They seemed to order pizza frequently and it was only Domino's, they only appeared to drink Pepsi, and if it weren't for the T Mobile Sidekick spoiler[The Rock (forgot his character's name) would not have been able to see who was really the bad guy.]
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
If you take a close look at "Be Cool" in one particular scene where Travolta and Thurman are speaking in an office, if you look closely in the backround there are old Great Mazinger, Getter Robo, and Kamen Rider toys. The movie itself was sub-par (in my opinion of course) and full of product placement. They seemed to order pizza frequently and it was only Domino's, they only appeared to drink Pepsi, and if it weren't for the T Mobile Sidekick spoiler[The Rock (forgot his character's name) would not have been able to see who was really the bad guy.]

Liam O'Brien (anime voice actor from LA) in a VoxBox chat wrote:
Be Cool: It SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED.
GospelX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
In the modernized version of Hamlet that came out in 2000, the boxes for a couple of the old Guyver OVAs put out by L.A. Hero can be seen in the background of the video store during the "To be, or not to be..." scene. These things are probably used because some of the crew are fanboys, so they toss in whatever they can whenever they can.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Heh. So I contacted Bandai about it, and they said, "Thank you for your inquiry. Permission was given for the Gundam Model
Kit in the movie."
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Heh. So I contacted Bandai about it, and they said, "Thank you for your inquiry. Permission was given for the Gundam Model
Kit in the movie."

Um, there was no Gundam model kit in the movie. Nice try.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there was one. It's a white box with a Gundam on it. It's in the background, not the foreground, so it's not easy to spot, but it is in the shot.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Actually, there was one. It's a white box with a Gundam on it. It's in the background, not the foreground, so it's not easy to spot, but it is in the shot.

Really? Huh. Well, if it was in the background, then I didn't see it. All I saw was the SSJ4 Goku figure.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote
I think we should be more disapointed that it was in the 40 year old virgin movie.

To me, it's saying "Hey, look at this nerd. He's 40 and a geek and likes Anime, that's why he's not getting any play!"

IMO, that's more of a slap in the face than anything. Its cool to have references or sightings of Anime/Manga related items, but if it's that negative, I'd rather not see it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
Bruce:
Quote:

To me, it's saying "Hey, look at this nerd. He's 40 and a geek and likes Anime, that's why he's not getting any play!"

I'm actually surprised Bandai was ok with that negative connotation, but as you can see, they endorsed their toy being used in the film. Anyway, it's not the toys which are keeping him from getting laid as much as his attitude. But yeah, there's been a negative backlash from a lot of people who feel the film hits too close to home. I'm still wondering if this is real...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2