• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Millennium Actress IS going to be dubbed....for the UK

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Source: CrystalAcids

Quote:
Millennium Actress to be dubbed for UK release
Filed under: News — drakh @ 11:16 am · Source: EyeOnAnime.co.uk

As we speculated after they announced their intention to dub Ghost in the Shell 2, Manga Entertainment Ltd. (UK) has stepped up to the plate once again and confirmed they’re producing an dub for their 26/09/05 release of Satoshi Kon’s acclaimed anime movie Millennium Actress. This will be the first time the movie is available with an English language version, as Dreamworks chose to release it with subtitles only in the US.

I am THIS close of configuring my DVD player on my laptop for R2 and spend more importing it! Surprised
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:30 pm Reply with quote
They're doing the same with GitS 2. This gives even more reason to loathe DreamWorks and their "dubs are inferior" nonsense. And their anime division is called Go Fish? What, because you have to fish series out of Japan (they probably think anime is not well-known in the US)? They should stick to their Shrek and Valiant garbage. I don't know about MA, but I will be importing Innocence (and they will be using the original cast, (actually, the cast from SAC, since a few of the original movie's actors are gone from dubbing) not new actors with English accents who don't know what anime is).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Uh, Go Fish is not really an "anime" division for Dreamworks; it's mostly a division for basically any "underrated gem" films. Heck, they're the ones that's going to release the live-action Casshern.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I hear that Millennium Actress is a magnificent piece of a movie. If they say it's going to be dubbed for the UK release does that mean it will not be using the regular anime seiyuu? E.g. Animaze, ADV studios etc.
Since that it was acquired by Dreamworks, what does this mean for the dub, or English seiyuu then?

[On a side question, there are several age characters for Chiyoko, and how much of the film (minute wise) is centered on the child Chiyoko? I ask that because I'm familiar with Orikasa Fumiko Razz]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:
I hear that Millennium Actress is a magnificent piece of a movie. If they say it's going to be dubbed for the UK release does that mean it will not be using the regular anime seiyuu? E.g. Animaze, ADV studios etc.
Since that it was acquired by Dreamworks, what does this mean for the dub, or English seiyuu then?

[On a side question, there are several age characters for Chiyoko, and how much of the film (minute wise) is centered on the child Chiyoko? I ask that because I'm familiar with Orikasa Fumiko Razz]

What the hell are "English Seiyuu"? The "seiyuu" term denotes a Japanese voice actor or actress, not an American/English speaking one.

It's not entirely impossible for them to try and outsource the work to a US studio, ALA Madman/MangaUK trying to get the SAC cast for their dub of Innocence (which would mean the dub would be produced in LA or whereever). Infact I imagine this is also a MangaUK/Madman co-production. Great stuff!
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:

The UK version is being dubbed, not the US version. Manga UK got the rights to the UK version. Dreamworks has the US version. The UK version will be dubbed by the SAC cast in California, not some English actors who know nothing about anime. I'm sure I already said this.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, a British cast would be okay, nothing wrong with that
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

What the hell are "English Seiyuu"? The "seiyuu" term denotes a Japanese voice actor or actress, not an American/English speaking one.

Probably the same thing as an English yakuza or a Japanese mafia. Rolling Eyes

It's not entirely impossible for them to try and outsource the work to a US studio, ALA Madman/MangaUK trying to get the SAC cast for their dub of Innocence (which would mean the dub would be produced in LA or whereever).

I'm pretty sure that's what they're doing. But I don't think Madman is involved (they're some company in Australia).

DKL wrote:
I dunno, a British cast would be okay, nothing wrong with that

*sigh* Read the previous posts.

EVERYTHING is wrong with using a British cast, from accents to name pronunciation (no offense to British people).
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:02 am Reply with quote
I did read the posts, I know they're going to outsource it to someone else

I'm just saying that I wouldn't be too troubled if the cast was BRITISH...

I mean, it's like you're saying they can't even learn how to pronounce the names properly

And I like the British accent, it's nifty

I'm not British or anything, but I think you're being too hard on the idea
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:49 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

Fine, but it sure sounded like you didn't know.

I'm sure they have many talented people over there, but I'd rather they keep the original cast. Changing the cast is worse than not dubbing it.

I mean, it's like you're saying they can't even learn how to pronounce the names properly

I DOUBT they can. But you never know.

Hey, I like it too, but it's not like I wanna hear anime characters speaking in British accents. Especially if that video game The Getaway is any indication of how much profanity the British use in everyday speech (think GANTZ's dub).

So you like the idea of an anime having accents that should not be there? I myself think that's a stupid idea.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

I thought seiyuu means voice actor/actress. I know many people call Japanese as seiyuu and English as voice actor or VA, but can't you just translate an English voice actor/actress as English seiyuu?

I've looked up in online translators that seiyuu mean literally means voice actor/actress.

Huh, whatever.

If LA recording studios are going to be dubbing it, then thumbs up!
I love only the California studios.
(I hope Bridget Hoffman is in there. Heheh. But since that she wasn't in GitS SAC then I guess not.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
KohonaShinobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
DKL wrote:

I'm sure they have many talented people over there, but I'd rather they keep the original cast. Changing the cast is worse than not dubbing it.

Hey, I like it too, but it's not like I wanna hear anime characters speaking in British accents. Especially if that video game The Getaway is any indication of how much profanity the British use in everyday speech (think GANTZ's dub).

So you like the idea of an anime having accents that should not be there? I myself think that's a stupid idea.

Um.....you do realize that its the same as an American accent right? Or if a Canadian team did the dub, or Spanish......etc,etc,etc (basically ANYONE who is NOT Japanese will have an "accent")
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
KohonaShinobi wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:
DKL wrote:

Um.....you do realize that its the same as an American accent right? Or if a Canadian team did the dub, or Spanish......etc,etc,etc (basically ANYONE who is NOT Japanese will have an "accent")

Uh, no. If it was dubbed in Spanish, that's another language, so that doesn't count. Second, Canadians don't have strong accents. Finally, dubbing it in the UK would still mean it's in English, but it would have accents that don't belong there. Dubbing it in another language (Spanish) is completely different, because that's more than just an accent.
KohonaShinobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
KohonaShinobi wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:
DKL wrote:

Uh, no. If it was dubbed in Spanish, that's another language, so that doesn't count. Second, Canadians don't have strong accents. Finally, dubbing it in the UK would still mean it's in English, but it would have accents that don't belong there. Dubbing it in another language (Spanish) is completely different, because that's more than just an accent.

Sorry to tell you dude but the English DONT have the accent, Canadians and Americans do, there ENGLISH you know, as in the same country the language CAME FROM. And considering the act of dubbing is to translate the origional dialoge into a DIFFERENT language, Spanish, or ANY other language is the SAME thing. I fail to see how an English accent does not "belong" there but an American one does.....
k0llin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Finally, dubbing it in the UK would still mean it's in English, but it would have accents that don't belong there.

Considering that it is being dubbed for the UK, a British accent would 'belong' more than an American, Canadian or any other accent. Why would a foreign accent be more suitable for a UK release?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2