• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket. (Major spoilers ahead)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siilent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote
Fruits Basket is, and hopefully always will be, my favourite series in the world, and one of my favourite things alone. I realised this shortly after watching the anime, and I wanted more.

After hearing that the entire thing was based off of a manga, I looked into it happily. That was when I was shocked with the horrible realisations:

spoiler[Akito is my favourite character in the world. I'm sure you all know the feeling. After research, information led me to the horrible conclusion that he...is not a 'he' after all.]

Although it shouldn't, this really bothers me to the point of avoiding the manga of my favourite series. Also, spoiler[I hear that a few other things are very different as well: 'Rin'. No, I haven't read the manga yet, and still this 'Rin' has made her way into my most hated character ever. Why? I'll give you a few words: Dates-in-Family. A few more words lead me to 'Shigure' and 'Haru'. This may not all be true, but I have heard some very disturbing 'facts' about her relationship with these two people. Is this true? Please give me a simple answer without telling me any MAJOR manga spoilers...I mean, tell me what is necesary.]

My main question (though I would like the above answered) is...Is the manga really worth it? I want to, but I'm afraid of ruining something that is, in my mind, already perfection. Of course, I'd want more of that, but do you think it's worth it for me?

I appreciate the help, and if I came out sounding uselessly pathetic, know that I'm well aware of that. It just worries me that somehting so great could disapoint me so much that my heart would break. >> [/spoiler]
Nirvana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
spoiler[Akito is my favourite character in the world. I'm sure you all know the feeling. After research, information led me to the horrible conclusion that he...is not a 'he' after all.]

Wait, what... are you serious? (He's the moue character right?) I havne't seen this in quite a while...
Siilent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
If you meant to type 'mouse', then the answer is no. Akito is the head of the Sohma family. He doesn't have an animal form...

Anyone?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Since the mouse comes up almost immediately, it's not really spoiler worthy. Yuki is the mouse.

Now, as far as Akito is concerned. spoiler[Yes, Akito is a she. So what? I haven't gotten quite that far into the manga - though I'm probably close, as I've read through chapter 91 or so.]Frankly, with the twists and turns that have come about so far, an issue like that really changes the dimension and perspective of things - and provides for a deeper story. I've tremendously enjoyed the manga - more so than the anime. spoiler[If you were looking for a yaoi relationship... I'm sorry that you had your bubble burst there. If an author wants to kill your lil' fantasy, that's just the nature of things.]

Now as far as Rin goes: spoiler[It's not unheard of in Japan for cousins to marry. The reasons behind this vary, but there are two major categories to consider:

1) Because of social structures, people of the elite status want to keep money in the family. Arrainged marriges between members of the same family may occour... last I heard, it's legal for first cousins to marry in Japan, although it's just as likely to go to 2nd or 3rd cousins - "distant" relatives.

2)Japan has been such homogeneous society over the past few centuries due to xenophobic philosophies. Because of these practices, there is a higher chance of finding common ancestors - meaning that the people within that country are more likely to be related to each other already.

On your topic, it was Haru who approached Rin, not the other way around. I also don't believe they are even first cousins, so give it a rest for a moment. As far as Shigure goes? I don't know his deal when it comes to the romantic pool yet (outside of an ex-girlfriend), so I cannot comment on that.

Besides, if you are going to fault Rin (or Haru), you should also fault Hiro (sheep) for having a crush on Kisa(tiger). Just a thought.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Siilent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
-flinch- I think I've been misunderstood.

The cousins thing is not the one that bothers me, really. I've just heard that spoiler[this 'Rin' jumps from one person to another, in a very...I won't even begin to use adjectives on it.]

Also, with the Akito ordeal: spoiler[When you said something about 'looking for a yaoi relationship', I assumed you were still on the Akito matter. My answer is no, I'm not. It's just the major shock that frightens me. It seems so out of character, that's all. And, one more thing...I hear that Shigure loves Akito? (as a female, of course). Is this true?

I've also heard that Akito inflicts more damage onto Kisa than he does in the anime. Is this true, as well?

And...Why does Akito push Rin out of a window? Why? When I heard that, my reaction was "Go, Akito!", but there has to be a reason, yes?

Yet another question: I see that this manga isn't yet finished, and that's why the anime ended so vaguely. Does the huge 'emotional' part still happen, then it moves on from there? And, more importantly, does the whole 'Akito scene' at the end still occur?]

Thanks for the information,

-Sii.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I did misunderstand, so my apologies.

I'm up as far as chap 91 at this point, so there is much left that I have not yet read. I will tell you what I've seen at this point so far.

spoiler[You stated "dates-in-family" - so I thought you had a problem with that idea to begin with. As far as Rin jumping from one person to the other? I saw her running away from Haru to prevent him from being hurt by Akito - but not dating anybody else in the process... And Akito pushing her out of a window? (I don't recall her being pushed out of a window, but I'd have to re-read a bit to see if that happened) Not yet - in what I've read. This isn't to say that it won't happen, but considering how Takaya writes, I'm confident it will make Akito appear to be even more villainous. Remember, Akito is a total and complete control freak - imposing fear... a selfish and whiny brat who only wants "his" way.

I don't remember Akito treating Kisa badly at this point in the manga... but I haven't seen the anime in quite some time either.

As far as Shigure being in love with Akito? As of chapter 91, Akito is not yet revealed as being a her, so I cannot comment on that.]

Perhaps somebody who has read past chap 91 of the manga can comment?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Siilent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
godaistudios wrote:
spoiler[. Remember, Akito is a total and complete control freak - imposing fear... a selfish and whiny brat who only wants "his" way.

spoiler[...o_o! I'd retort, but I guess to those who don't adore Akito, it could be considered true. A difference in opinions, I guess. Ouch.

When you speak about the chapters, it confuses me a little. Uh, how many books is that? ._. If it's a standard thing to know, my apologies.

I'm not sure if the things I've heard are true. How many books are out now, anyway? I hear it hasn't ended yet. And another thing...Do you have any idea which 'book number' Rin is introduced in? I think I need to be prepared, from what I've heard about her. From what you say, she doesn't seem all that bad, but I've heard things that definately force me to hate her beyond all others. Just like that. Also, is the 'female Akito' revealing in a manga that is currently out in english, or is it just internet information? If you know exactly which 'issue' it's in, could you let me know?

Thanks again.
]
[/quote]]
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
godaistudios wrote:
spoiler[. Remember, Akito is a total and complete control freak - imposing fear... a selfish and whiny brat who only wants "his" way.

...o_o! I'd retort, but I guess to those who don't adore Akito, it could be considered true. A difference in opinions, I guess. Ouch.
spoiler[The manga clearly depcits Akito that way. Whether you like the character or not doesn't have much bearing on the personality given to them by the manga-ka. Even other characters in the series mention it.]
Quote:

When you speak about the chapters, it confuses me a little. Uh, how many books is that? ._. If it's a standard thing to know, my apologies.

I'm not sure if the things I've heard are true. How many books are out now, anyway? I hear it hasn't ended yet. And another thing...Do you have any idea which 'book number' Rin is introduced in? I think I need to be prepared, from what I've heard about her. From what you say, she doesn't seem all that bad, but I've heard things that definately force me to hate her beyond all others. Just like that. Also, is the 'female Akito' revealing in a manga that is currently out in english, or is it just internet information? If you know exactly which 'issue' it's in, could you let me know?

Thanks again.
]

It's all internet info at this point. So far, 11 volumes of manga have been released in the U.S. (and up to 17 volumes in Japan so far) I know there is confusion when I mention chapter numbers, but that's how I got it. Smile

Even so, that would probably put me somewhere smack in the middle of volume 15 or so, but don't quote me on that. I had been satisfied in waiting for the English releases, but I got really curious after reading the preview, so I just felt the absolute need to read further, so I cheated a little... Embarassed
Shame on those scanlators. Rolling Eyes

spoiler[As far as Rin goes, I think she should be coming up around 12 or 13, so it shouldn't be too long. Unless she came up in vol 11, and I just don't remember. The lines are blurred between what I've read in the book and what I've read online, so I just don't remember anymore. Embarassed ]
Siilent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Akito never really appeared as a 'control freak' to me. o_o Is he very different in the manga than he is in the anime? spoiler[(Gender aside.)]

Even other characters in the series mention it? That harshly? ._. I'm surprised they're still alive if they can get away with saying things like that. Eheh.

spoiler[So...Akito has not been revealed to be female yet as far as the english version goes? o_o How is this such a well-known fact, then? Are that many people peeking into 'secret' internet files? Anime hyper]

spoiler[AND, another question. When do you suppose 'Kureno' appears? This person is new to me too, so I'm not sure of anything about him, other than the way he looks, and his year. And his loyalty. And if I've spelt his name wrong, forgive me. I just remember it that way. o_o ]
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
Akito never really appeared as a 'control freak' to me. o_o Is he very different in the manga than he is in the anime? spoiler[(Gender aside.)]
Well, think about how Akito acted in the anime. spoiler[He struck fear into Yuki, permanently scarred Hatori, and even hit Tohru in the anime... and you think he isn't villianous? And it is much worse in the manga. Especially once you get to Yuki's story. In fact, in the telling, I'm certain that it does mention how Akito was spoiled and always got his way.]
Quote:

Even other characters in the series mention it? That harshly? ._. I'm surprised they're still alive if they can get away with saying things like that. Eheh.

spoiler[So...Akito has not been revealed to be female yet as far as the english version goes? o_o How is this such a well-known fact, then? Are that many people peeking into 'secret' internet files? Anime hyper]
spoiler[It carried a huge impact on the audience in Japan... and many people who live in the U.S. that have been reading the Japanese versions. Give it some time, it'll come out here as well, and the uninformed will be shocked to discover that Akito has boobs. Wink]
Quote:

spoiler[AND, another question. When do you suppose 'Kureno' appears? This person is new to me too, so I'm not sure of anything about him, other than the way he looks, and his year. And his loyalty. And if I've spelt his name wrong, forgive me. I just remember it that way. o_o ]

spoiler[I think you spelled it just fine. Actually, I think Kureno may have already shown up in volume 10 or 11 here - just not explained that he's actually the rooster.]
Siilent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I actually heard that he did hit Tohru in the manga, but he doesn't hit her in the anime. From what I know of him, he's my favourite character in anything, ever. I've never even thought of him, in the slightest, as spoiled and bratty, and that's not just because I'm biased to all 'bad things' he could be. Even I can say that he has a terrible temper, is cruel, and obviously has a few issues, maybe with his mind.

But anyone would be just as upset as he is. He's nineteen, and he has hardly lived a life. He's almost always sick, and he carries the full weight of the curse. He knows he's going to die when he's hardly gotten to have anything. I think he kind of goes by a 'if I can't have it, no one can' saying. It's sad, that he has to lie there and watch everyone gain so many things when he has nothing himself.

]
That's all I can say in his defence. I guess he's portrayed as 'spoiled' in the manga, then? Or, should I say, spoiler[she?]

I've read the first one, and have half-finished the second one (haven't really 'met' Akito yet), and...Momiji's intro was quite strange. He's a little different than before, aside from the German. o_o

Also, I had to re-read a page in volume two ten times, and I still can't figure it out. It's when spoiler[Shigure is speaking to Akito, and he says something like "I feel sorry for you. Tohru-kun is a dozen times a better person than you."

?! When does he get away with speaking like that? Was it him who said that? It looked like it. And then it looked like Akito said somehting like "I am well aware when my glass is half empty."

...It was so confusing. At first, I couldn't figure out who said what, and I still may be wrong, but when I made my assumption, it seemed so out of character. o_o]
heavans_gaurd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:53 pm Reply with quote

i can't belive that!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!Were did you get this from??!!
Shocked

[No triple-posting. -Nagi]
Siilent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
You're confusing me a little, but I'll answer all I can understand.

spoiler[Your spoiler tag seems to have failed. Please edit your post, so everyone who reads this does not find out the 'she' part.

If you didn't know this, why did you click? ._. You just spoiled it. The tags are there for a reason, ne?

Heavens_guard, you say "well,if that's true why is he the head of the family!!!"

If you mean because 'he' is a 'she', and females don't seem signifigant in your eyes to be the head of a family...I can't really answer that for you. Akito is just the head of the family. There's no special reason behind it.

You say 'that waz one secret nobody needed to know.' I have a suggestion: Do not read the spoiler tag.

It's fairly well-known across the internet. Since you've read as far as you have, I thought you'd have known. Ah well.

I still have not accepted the Akito fact. I never will. But there's nothing I can do about it, so I ignore the fact.]

So...
RedForte03

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quote
Fruits Basket is my absolute favorite anime/manga. I'm up to chapter 98 in the manga and I just wanted to add a few things. Volume 18 was just released in Japan and they are up to chapter 114 in Hana to Yume magazine. As far as some of your earlier questions:

spoiler[ As far as Rin goes, just like all the other zodiac, she has her own troubled pass to deal with. She's just really scared, so she pushes people away. In reference to Shigure, her involvement with him is not what you think. I don't want to spoil it for you too much, but she needed something from Shigure and tried to get it from him a certain way, him being the way he is. She was actually doing it to protect Haru in a weird way. She does care for Haru, and yes, she was pushed out a window, in result of her trying to protect him yet again. I believe she was introduced in Ch. 60. ] I hope that clarified it some.

spoiler[ On to Akito...in chapter 97 and 98 it was DEFINITELY confirmed that Akito was female. Only a few people know about this. It is still unclear why she was brought up a male, but is said that it was her mother's decision to do so.]

The ending to the anime....spoiler[ it does not happen in the anime. It was merely used to close up what they could. Oh, and he does grab her like he did in the anime, in chapter 65 in the manga, but in a completely different situation.]

I hope this helped you a bit.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
spoiler[
But anyone would be just as upset as he is. He's nineteen, and he has hardly lived a life. He's almost always sick, and he carries the full weight of the curse. He knows he's going to die when he's hardly gotten to have anything. I think he kind of goes by a 'if I can't have it, no one can' saying. It's sad, that he has to lie there and watch everyone gain so many things when he has nothing himself.

]

spoiler[Eastern cultures are very paternal, in other words it is considered the male’s world to govern and females to be subservient. Akito is a male’s name. It was probably given to him/her when it was decided by the last generation of family leaders that he/she would be the new heir. Because it might have caused instability within the family hierarchy to learn that the new head was in fact female Akido's gender was hidden and she was raised as if male, though I can imagine how that could have been successful right through school. unless he was privately tutored.]

spoiler[The Sohma's are extremly wealthy with large estates of land, and several large corporations under their control so I would say that Akido "has nothing him/herself." What he/she doesn't have is freedom. He/she is actually a prisoner within his/her own circumstances. A prisoner with a death sentence.]If you insist on feeling sorry for him, feel sorry for that reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2