• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Speed Racer Movie: No Chance?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ilze88

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I was just wondering if there was any chance that Speed Racer: The Movie would ever happen. I know that the project was cancelled for a reason that I cant recall and that the cast actually had some pretty big names, among them Johnny Depp.

Speed Racer was my favorite show of my childhood. I would watch it any chance I got a knew anything there was to know about the series. When I heard about the film I got pretty excited and was depressed when I heard that it was cancelled. I was just wondering if there was any word that it might get underway again?
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The last I heard was that it was going to be made and that Vince Vaughn (The Wedding Crashers) would be playing Racer X because he was such a fan of the show. Seeing as how The Wedding Crashers has made almost 200 million dollars and been such a big hit, I would think that he would have some power to get it made.
Ilze88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
It's good to hear that there's still a chance of it coming out. I think Johnny Depp was going to play Speed but I'm not sure.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Ilze88 wrote:
I think Johnny Depp was going to play Speed but I'm not sure.

I couldn't see that. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paulmarti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Johnny Depp already working on the sequel to Pirates of the Carribean? I can't wait to see that. I heard Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones might play his father.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Paulmarti wrote:
Isn't Johnny Depp already working on the sequel to Pirates of the Carribean? I can't wait to see that. I heard Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones might play his father.

Actually I think they are filming TWO Pirates sequels at the same time a la Matrix. I think Johnny Depp would be way too old to play Speed anyway.
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Actually he is working on two sequels to Pirates of the Carribean. Why? so they can milk the success of the first movie to the fullest. I guess they are hoping for a trilogy that only gets better like lord of the rings. Rather than a trilogy that only gets worse like the Matrix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Paulmarti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
A better example would be... STAR WARS!!! Which they should make an anime of, I would totally watch that. My dad probably would too, even though he's not interested in anime.
Ilze88

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I saw the Johnny Depp bit on a SR Site. It might not be Speed that he'd play, I'll try to find the site but I'm almost certain Depp's name was on there.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
In response to a post that...well, used to be here...

Remember kids: randomly naming off actors you'd like to see cast as anime characters while not providing some notion as to WHY you chose them is still listing, and will still be deleted without a moment's hesitation. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Best guess is that they might turn it into a NASCAR clone and lose the chimp.

Or one word: NNNNNNNAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Yep, can't have a laughable attempt at an Anime with racing without that gas that makes you laugh in the dentist's chair.
Last_Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
The last I heard was that it was going to be made and that Vince Vaughn (The Wedding Crashers) would be playing Racer X because he was such a fan of the show. Seeing as how The Wedding Crashers has made almost 200 million dollars and been such a big hit, I would think that he would have some power to get it made.

I really don't see that happening unless they don't really care if the movie is supposed to make fun of the show, otherwise they may need to cast someone else v_v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1