• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
old Fist of the North Star

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScooterinAB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know how to get a hold of the old Fist of the North Star. Manga only released some 35 eps, and I'm like to see the rest of the series, including the 80ish ep sequel.

I know that there is a really expensive chinese bootleg of it, but I don't wan to have to pay that kind of money for a low quality bootleg.

Any suggestions?
Onmyoji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Fist of the North Star is a pretty long series, and probably wasn't selling well when it first came out, so Manga lost interest. But as I have said before if the New Fist of the North Star sells well, some company my find interest and buy the rights from Manga (if they haven't already lost them) and redistribute them. But I highly doubt it so your probably going to have to find fan subs or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
logboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
from what i know, manga only ever licensed the first portion of the show, and when recently released on DVD here in the UK they said that "we may license the rest of the series if this set sells"... take that how you will.
marui

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
I only got a hold on the movie version, i dont know where to get the complete series.
Papa Smurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:46 am Reply with quote
you can get it from HMV, thats where I got my two copies, one for me and one as a pressie for a friend.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:55 am Reply with quote
Papa Smurf wrote:
you can get it from HMV, thats where I got my two copies, one for me and one as a pressie for a friend.

He wants a release that covers afterthe current English release, which was pretty piss poor in general.

It's pretty doubtful it'll get a proper release, even at all, over here. Since it's a hit Toei show that's faded so far into hyped obscurity, they're going to charge an arm and a leg.. and no one is going to buy it.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I had a bunch of subtitled episodes recorded off NGN (Nippon Golden Network) when it was aired in Hawaii in the early 90s. I think they aired all of Hokuto No Ken 1, and 2 although I think I dumped them when I got rid of all my VHS tapes. NGN also aired all of the Ginga Tetsudo episodes if I recall.
mahoro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
As of now, the only FOTNS you will get is the Shin version which as many know, is a condensed storyarc. Not as intense as the original tv or movie, but the character designs are nice.

For obtaining the originals, I only have this suggestion to you... wait. If you cannot, they you already know your existing alternatives.

Personally, I am still waiting 20 years for GunBusterOVAs to come out LICENSED on dvd! How is THAT for patience and loyalty?! Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1