• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can I get some recommendations...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thericon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Hello Very Happy

I'm relatively new to anime videos. I like the series Full Metal Panic and Steel Angel Karoumi (sp) (for example). I like anime that has emotional "ups and downs" but it *must* end happily (sorry if that makes me sappy).

I don't mind some erotic scenes (not a prude in any way) but not looking or Hentai (sp) either. It's always funny how the male characters react to seeing panties (what male doesn't like panties?)

It can be subtitled or with voices (if the voice talent for english isn't horrible).

I'm watching Sugar Snow fairy ( I think that's what it's called ) currently and really enjoy the comic expressions on the characters faces.

Thanks in advance, I am hopeful I can be pointed in the right direction so I can look for anime that I might otherwise have skipped.

Razz
FullMetal52
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Well...good that you were specific...and i think i would recomend Evangelion...but as far as the happy endings gospoiler[ do not watch the movie End of Evangelion]...a perfect anime for you would be Trigun...good action...lots of ups and downs...lots of pantie gazeing...and a spoiler[happy ending...i dont want to ruin a great series for anyone] Outlaw Star would also be good...
Ilze88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
Well, I would highly recommend both of the Ghost in the Shell movies just make sure that you watch them in order. If you enjoy the exaggerated expressions and movements of some anime however, then Ghost in the Shell might not be your choice since it's more realistic.

I would also say Outlaw Star is a good series to watch and the ending is pretty happy, I suppose. It's one of the animes I enjoyed going through the most.

Cowboy Bebop is also a good series that definatly has it's ups and downs and also has a good amount of humor tied in. However, if you are looking for a definite happy ending then I wouldnt recommend Bebop.
shako

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
well my favorite types of animes are also romance ones like chobits, love hina, hand maid may, please teacher and please twins(please teacher in my opinion has one of the best romance situations but please twins can be a little dull in the earlier episodes although the end is very good but its worth watching just cause everyone from please teacher is in it), ai yori aoshi, mahoromatic, and im currently watching fruits basket wich is a very good romance with a little bit a darker side to it but its still pretty light hearted, and it keeps going on but that should be enough for now.
shako

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
oh i didn't see the part where you said end happily but i think all of these end happily although sometimes there are some things that bother you a little llike in hand maid may which has a really happy ending after something kinda sad happens i wont give it away put its a little dissapointing i guess but i think the shows that have the best endings are please teacher and please twins.
Thericon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into Trigun as that sounds like it might be fun.

I just watched Ghost in the Shell (Yesterday, ironically) and was impressed with the quality of the animation. But the theme was stark and not very upbeat. Life is hard enough, I want my anime to make me smile, arouse, temporarily sad (must have happy ending, sorry sadness is not where I want to end), and thrill. Although not necessarly all in one episode Wink

Cowboy Bebop is a bit too violent for my tastes actually.

I watched one series (can't remember the name) where a male student was being raised by 5 "moms" that were also his teachers at school. That was very enteraining and was an interesting look into oriental views on parent child relations. And the "moms" were all very attractive young women. Very Happy

I'll check out "please teacher and please twins" and see if I can get more info on that.

Again thanks for your suggestions.

To be more specific (in the hope of getting more suggestions), I'll say that I like themes where there are attractive girls, romance, a little skin is nice, a little emotional scenes but happy endings.

For example "Young girl boat heroes" was *really* great, best I've seen so far.

Thanks again for any help you can offer.
shako

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
the anime your talking about is happy lessons which im planning to see and by what you have said so far please teacher and please twins sounds perfect for you try fruits basket too.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...well, Azumanga Daioh is something I've heard is a bright series and full of humor. The thinpak boxset is not recommended for someone who isn't an expert on cultural references as it doesn't include extras explaining such and such. I wouldn't say it has a lot of fanservice, but it's happy. I dunno, Elfen Lied seems to have a lot of fanservice, but that is the opposite of happy. Fruits Basket also seems to be very popular. (The manga version is freqeuntly a top seller.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1