• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
vision of escaflowne

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazumatheshellbullet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:32 am Reply with quote
I was suprised in watching how much the difference between the ratings in the manga and the anime, even in the encylopedia escaflowne was on the worst ten it think it was even the worst but the anime was alomst the exact opposite. The ratings were worthy of saying you could watch this on reputation alone. however I myself never seen it but i remember it was on fox kids and my friend waws always like did you see escaflowne but thinking it was fox kids i was sceptical but now I wanna know is it really good
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote
If fantasy mecha action sounds cool to you and you don't mind a lot of romantic entanglements then you should definitely check out the TV series. Good story, several nice plot twists, and an incredible soundtrack, though the artwork is more iffy - I'd give it a B+ overall rating.

There's also a thread over in the News forum talking about the movie right now, which is going to be broadcast on Cartoon Network next month. Check that out here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quote
The manga series (there were two, I think) were created at the same time as the TV series, while they were still developing ideas, so they apparently have very little to do with the show and are more alternate tellings using the same names (I haven't read them, since they looked like ass.. if I'm making a mistake, someone can correct me). The tv show is perhaps, my all-time favorite anime series. It's got action, romance, violence, fantasy, good characters, great music, and great art (I disagree with Key there). It wouldn't be for everyone of course, but I am a big fantasy nerd, so this was the series for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
The show was pretty good, if a little corny at times. However, you were better off not seeing it on Fox Kids due to the fact they really censored and cut the episodes apart. I know I first watched it about halfway through on there and then eventually got the DVD's and I noticed there was so much cut on the Fox Kids version that the episodes started and ended in completely different places.

I'm not sure about the manga, or even the movie. I'm not much of a manga fan and I went on the judgement of my friends as far as the movie went so opted not to bother seeing it. The reviews here somewhat indicate they may be wrong, but I'm still skeptical as they had nothing good to say about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Well if you do think its good, deepdiscountdvd.com has the entire set for 59.99 USD.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
The show was completely awesome in my opinion I saw the first 9 or 10 episodes on FOX but it got canned, later on when I had the cash, I bought the Perfect Collection with the Limited Edition Black Escaflowne figure. My friend and I marithoned it one day since he was also upset at it's cancelation we both thought is was great and couldn't figure out why it didn't do so well on the air. Some of the "science" in it is utter bulls*** though. spoiler[Destiny Prognostication Machine...bwahahaha!] spoiler[ Laughing ]
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Oooh.. I am very tempted... Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1