• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits basket? galaxy angel??

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ran_chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:01 am Reply with quote
hi! i watched fruits basket (sub) and it was really good! i know that there is a dubb of it and was wondering wether the voices are any good?? also with the galaxy angel dubb r the voices good?? did they keep the starting songs??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:00 am Reply with quote
I personally thought that Fruits Basket had an accurate and really great dub, but I'm always surprised to hear how many people hate it. Almost all of the main characters sound nearly the same and/or capture the same essence in the English voices as the Japanese voices. My only grudges was that Yuki sounds a little too creepy in the first few episodes, but that fades early on, and Ayame is the only character who's straight out awful. I'll forgive one character (even if it was one of my favorites.. Anime cry). They dubbed the opening and ending songs sung by Tohru and I was surprised when I first heard it in English because they sound exactly the same! I strongly recommend the Fruits Basket dub, but purists and major fangirls will probably impale me for saying so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
I was actually very fond of AYAME's voice
Eric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

So was I. I thought it fit the personality very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Really? Wow. Well, I'm glad at least some people like the dub, because I thought it was one of the best I've heard. I just didn't like Ayame's voice because it sounded very forced to me.. way fakey over-the-top flamboyant. And yes, he IS an over-the-top flamboyant character, but the English voice makes him sound gross and unattractive.. I don't know, I just found it went a little too far and made me cringe a bit. Occaisionally the actor dropped the big fakey voice, and I wished he would have just stuck with that more natural sound.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, yeah, did sound forced, but I'm pretty sure that's what they were aiming for...

what did his voice sound like int he interview again? *I need to see the DVDs again some time*
-gecko-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Fruits Basket, but the dub of both the Galaxy Angels seasons released by Bandai that I have were very good. I especially like Milfuelle's voice when she get's all ditzy! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Minako Aino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Ayame's voice was suitable for his character. I was quite fond of his voice too.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Basket is another one of those dubs that I prefered over the Japanese original. Yuki's Japanese VA was female and it just didn't fit at all for me. spoiler[ "But Mamiji's English voice was female too"] I hear you shout, and that's true, but spoiler[Mamiji even dressed like a girl in school uniform] so his voice fit very well, didn't it? But not Yuki in Japanese IMHO.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:47 am Reply with quote
I just finished Fruits Baskets and thought the dub was great. I had no problem with Ayame - I feel he's supposed to sound that annoying. After all, we're supposed to sympathize with Yuki's point of view as well and understand his mortification when Aya shows up. And the actor appropriately toned it down when Aya did get serious once in a while.

The one character I have mixed feelings about is Ritsu. The acting itself was fine - funny at first and tragic later on when we realize exactly how disturbed and in desperate need of help she really is - but I have to admit I figured her secret out the minute she talked.

On another note, I had been avoiding the series because I had read several times that the cultural barrier is very high and was turned off by the thought of the Fan Club subplot. I am so glad I finally caved in and bore through the two Fan Club episodes, because I absolutely loved the rest of it even if there are some cultural references that go over my head that I'm not even aware of.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:09 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
I just finished Fruits Baskets and thought the dub was great. I had no problem with Ayame - I feel he's supposed to sound that annoying. After all, we're supposed to sympathize with Yuki's point of view as well and understand his mortification when Aya shows up. And the actor appropriately toned it down when Aya did get serious once in a while.

The one character I have mixed feelings about is Ritsu. The acting itself was fine - funny at first and tragic later on when we realize exactly how disturbed and in desperate need of help she really is - but I have to admit I figured her secret out the minute she talked.

On another note, I had been avoiding the series because I had read several times that the cultural barrier is very high and was turned off by the thought of the Fan Club subplot. I am so glad I finally caved in and bore through the two Fan Club episodes, because I absolutely loved the rest of it even if there are some cultural references that go over my head that I'm not even aware of.
Most of that was just anime over-exaggeration anyway so really nothing to get worked up about. spoiler[I was on the edge of my seat that the Fanclub President was going to hug Yuki at some point in the school yard scene. That would had changed the reason for the Fanclub's being right away.] but thankfully it didn't happen Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1