• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comcast 'on demand' WTF???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanagata

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmmm, despite what has been listed on TAN 'on demand' site for Comcast, I got one new episode today. Granted it was Azumanga Dioh, but I was expecting new eps of several others.

This process has been going on for two months now. By that I mean, fewer and fewer episodes on a system I already pay dearly for.

The funny thing is that other cable systems are expanding their TAN line up. Let me be specific: No more Elfin Lied, no more Maburaho, no more any TV-MA series on Comcast's TAN 'On Demand' it seems. But they continue these series on the other systems.

As an older fan, I like the mature stuff and it seems that Comcast is cowtowing to a vocal minority who are complaining about content, though I have no proof..... yet. And yet, on the other hand, Comcast's 'SelectOnDemand' is showing many TV-MA series and even expanding their lineup, tho most are older US Manga series.

Anyone else notice this trend on Comcast??? Comcast points the finger at TAN but that is bs imo since others systems are still showing the racy stuff.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
So wait, we can get TAN on COMCAST?...

where?
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
You can get some things on demand. Go to the Cutting Edge section on channel 1 or 199, and from there, there should be "The Anime Network" as well as other things, such as Adult Swim.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
Wow.... I can't believe it...

anyway, this IS free right?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Yep, it's "free" as long as you have digital cable.

One of the main reasons why I have digital cable via Comcast instead of satellite. (Well, I also don't trust the reliability of satellite, but there's other reasons, too.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
So yeah, the TAN and other stuff say FREE at the top, so I won't be charged anything right?

Becuase, if they do, my mom is gonna do the BLITZKRIEG on my ass

Anyway, tinkered around with it... damn, how long has this been on COMCAST and why hasn't anyone told me?
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Its been around for two years and it has been free the whole time.
Hanagata

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
I have had it since the beginning of this year. Yes 'On Demand' is included with the rest of your service and does not cost you extra.

Yes, it is too bad some have not been aware of this earlier because TAN 'On Demand' is going down the toilet imo.

They have even restarted Full Metal Panic Fumoofo despite only getting up to episode six. They skipped ep nine of FMP two months ago and that is when I first started noticing the change. They shorted Gantz, they shorted others that have been listed by many as favorites. All TV-MA rated anime has been discontinued also.

You guys would have loved this four months ago. I would have said something myself but had not found this forum at that time Sad Sorry

I am no cheapskate, I will buy anime that I enjoy. My complaint lies in what has happened to the lineup for the last two months.
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
Huh?

I still get TV MA anime... well, not in the TAN lineup I think... but I saw some

I'm still wondering why no one was talking about it... must be because we all assume that we don't have it? *Well, I did anyway*

Anyway, I'll be sure to mention it from now on

It's pretty cool, I got to see TUTU #7 today Anime smile *I'll get the DVD anyway, but it's nice to preview it*
Kaneda2K31

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Black Jack was incredible, I saw three episodes on Select on Demand episodes 7,8,9 now I going to buy the series on DVD and the movie, I never thought a medical drama could be that great. I wish the manga was still in circulation.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Is this Comcast's own anime network, or is this ADV's Anime on Demand network or their linear channel?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
It has ADV's and something else...

I don't know what the arrangement it... but I get TAN and some other stuff
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Is this Comcast's own anime network, or is this ADV's Anime on Demand network or their linear channel?

TAN is owned by ADV, and The Anime Network option in the Comcast On Demand is their "on demand" version of the channel - which they had before the linear version, incidenrally.

Comcast On Demand also has Anime Selects, which is a separate On Demand option featuring CPM titles. The On Demand version of Adult Swim also carries some anime titles which have never aired on the linear channel, such as Arjuna (now past) and Argentosoma (current), amongst CN's own stuff and anime titles they've aired in the past.

The On Demand version of Tech TV used to carry a bit of anime, too, but I don't think they have in quite a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hanagata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Thank you all for your responses. I am glad to see folks talking about this issue, no matter how one feels about it. I saw talk of this on the TAN forum but it takes longer to go from thread to thread there then it does to log in here Laughing

I will definatly be watching more of 'SelectonDemand' rather then TAN 'OnDemand' from now on.

Maybe I was wrong to point the finger at Comcast. Embarassed
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

TAN is owned by ADV, and The Anime Network option in the Comcast On Demand is their "on demand" version of the channel - which they had before the linear version, incidenrally.

Comcast On Demand also has Anime Selects, which is a separate On Demand option featuring CPM titles. The On Demand version of Adult Swim also carries some anime titles which have never aired on the linear channel, such as Arjuna (now past) and Argentosoma (current), amongst CN's own stuff and anime titles they've aired in the past.

The On Demand version of Tech TV used to carry a bit of anime, too, but I don't think they have in quite a while.

That still doesn't quite answer my question. I mainly wanted to know whether or not it was ADV or Comcast that quit airing TV-MA anime. I'm sorry if I didn't clarify this earlier.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2